Diesel Forum - Cummins, Duramax, Powerstroke & Towing Forums

PDA

View Full Version : best bolt in muffler?

zippy
01-25-2007, 06:44 PM
i was wondering what you guys think would be a great bolt in muffler for my '06 i know ben like his flowmaster but what else do you guys like and remember im in colorado so i need to keep the cat or at least when it gets smogged. so any input would be great!waytogo

4054x4
01-25-2007, 07:26 PM
i do like my flowmaster... honestly all the mufflers will probably give you about the same power gains (or at least the differences between the different brands will not be noticable). I would think that your decision should be based primarily on the sound you want.

zippy
01-25-2007, 10:09 PM
thats what i am thinking at this point power dont matter to much to me i just want that cummins big rig sound deep throaty and quiet on the freeway

Full Pull
01-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Go with the MBRP replacement Muffler it will give you that big rig sound with out the drone it only cost 200.00 shiped. I was going to get one but I love my stright Pipe to muck. Good luck F/P.

Bourdon1350
01-26-2007, 09:38 PM
yeh mine just gives me to much of a head ache going down the road...its too loud! the cat and muff are gone. whats a cheap way to quiet it down? any cheap good mufflers?

Full Pull
01-26-2007, 10:00 PM
yea thats y I left my Resanitor on AKA high flow Cat from the Factory.

zippy
01-26-2007, 11:46 PM
i like the mbrp mufflers where can i get one F/P? and i live in castle rock colorado and there are a few diesel shops here so install aint no problem

Brisk
01-27-2007, 12:38 AM
I think a couple of guys on here run the AreoTurbine mufflers and I have heard great reviews

nastee1
01-27-2007, 07:46 AM
I have a Aero turbin, and it works great, with my 4" exhaust.

rocknbronco
01-27-2007, 08:29 AM
I say Flowmasters

Full Pull
01-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Zippy check with
www.dieselperformanceparts.com

RJF's Red Cummins
01-27-2007, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't use a Flowmaster muffler, I know 405 likes his, but I *doubt* it delivers the EGT drop of a strait through diesel muffler, like what MBRP, Banks, Diamond Eye, etc use.

You aren't going to really feel any power gains, especially with no new down pipe and a cat in the way, but the main idea of a new exhaust is the EGT drop. I'd also go with an MBRP strait through muffler, it will deliver your sound you are after and will give the best EGT drop you can get.

I'd love to see an exhaust comparison on the same truck, with the Flowmaster system and any other diesel brand system (they all basically use the same muffler). That 50 series muffler just doesn't set well with me, with all the baffles and what not inside. I'd be very interested to see the EGT difference between the two different muffler designs.

zippy
01-28-2007, 09:35 PM
yeah i dont know if ben or "405" on here saw any drop or rise in EGT's from putting his flowmaster on and it sounds good i just want a strait through design and like i said performance i dont care to much thats what the chip will be for but it needs to sound bad@$$.

zippy
01-28-2007, 10:50 PM
and also what intake would you all suggest or are running and love? i am looking at afe and airaid right now and im gunna get the tst pmcr chip, or the smarty like steve what do you guys think?

RJF's Red Cummins
01-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Well, I'm a fan of the BHAF air setup myself, as it's what I have. I don't think it really adds any power or cooler EGT's, but I like the much larger cylinder filter. I am in dusty conditions 4 months out of the year and I feel the BHAF filter is safer (no leaky box) and I can go longer without changing it.

Dieselnut will have a good idea on a performance intake, he's the 3rd gen man.

Although one of my business customers bought a Smarty from Dieselnut for his '06 and loves, Steve Fox seems to be enjoying his too, I think I'd go with a TST Power Max CR. I drove Dieselnut's '06 with just the TST and a Super B turbo and was impressed. Another big selling factor for me is the adjustability. I love having the adjustability with my Juice, and would miss that having only a Smarty.

zippy
01-29-2007, 07:33 PM
true and i like that on the TST PMCR you can adjust torque and horsepower ifferent from each other am i right? and diesel nut should read this thread and give me some tips or sumthin! haha

Bourdon1350
01-29-2007, 08:59 PM
i have an AEM brute force air intake and i love it! you dont have to mess with oil when cleaning them. and that turbo sounds so beautiful! it seems to have a little better response with it.

whiterocket5.9
01-29-2007, 11:13 PM
i had cut my exhaust off rite before the cat and put a 36" diesel tip on it. at the time i didnt have the money for a decent system and the stock was too quiet lol that wasnt a problem any more anyway had to put a system on it the local cop had it out for me i guess and really it wasnt all that great for haulin the family around i couldnt hardly hear my son in the back seat. so... i got a flo pro 300 installed thats from a small town guy that does grereat work at a great price, you dont find that very often anymore. he said flo pro was made by magnaflow if im not mistaken and that magna flow makes the systems for a few different names banks is ithe only one that i can remember for sure so i wont say any others and misleade anyone but he rattled off about 4 or so. it sounded like i was deaf when ifirst had it installed i couldnt hear anything but its nice and throty now but quiet on the highway. my egt's stay nice and low too of course unless i get on it for a lil bit but towing and normal use no problems with temps. i have a airraid intake im happy with it. one of the issues of diesel power had a test int here with a bunch of intakes. they all rated very very close to each other even the stock one with what they were testing i cant recall what exactly they were testing hp or cfm or soemthing. i cant remember what issue it was.

gbuddenhagen
02-11-2007, 08:41 AM
AREO TURBINE is a great sounding exhaust. If you have a 05-06 u do not have to change the whole system its four inch from the factory. I just replaced a section of pipe and used the 4040l areo turbine muffler...I got the system from the guys that make the cool blue hose (DIESEL POWER PRODUCTS).

travis toyama
02-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I agree with replacing just the muffler on the ctd with 4" exhaust stock. I installed a straight thru flo pro muffler for around $170. After inspecting my stock 4" pipes for major pinches or crimps I didn't feel I needed to spend a big wad of dough. I'm towing this weekend so I'll see how it affected my EGTs. Trying to modify my truck for practical gains without affecting my warranty. Next on my list is the cool blue hose and a custom ram air through a modified stock air box. Good luck with whatever you go with, travis.

Bourdon1350
02-18-2007, 09:00 AM
well this helps alot, i will try and get one of those in the next few months! im to busy right now to do anything. im up at 6 and get home at 6, so yeh. what is the price for the areo turbine? i knew i could just throw a muffler on cuz of the 4 inch, just didnt know if it would quiet it down too much, or not enough.

Lonala
03-10-2007, 02:50 AM
i like the mbrp mufflers where can i get one F/P? and i live in castle rock colorado and there are a few diesel shops here so install aint no problemLook for Diesel Nut he sells them out of his shop.

Lonala
03-10-2007, 02:51 AM
He is on Tow Rig .Com Aloha Hope this Helps Ron

travis toyama
03-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Ran my stock truck loaded for the first time with the pro-flo. Exactly what I wanted. Slight rumble at idle, could still carry a conversation in the cab when cruising, but when you romp on it ----BAD xxx! Deep and throaty! I left the cat in place so the tone was tolerable. Without it I don't think my wife and kids would have been as comfortable. Considerably louder when pulling to get up to speed or pulling the hills. And cheap to boot. I think the eliminator pipes would have been annoying at all throttle inputs. I did a lot of research on straight through replacement mufflers before picking the pro-flo. Price was my main concern because I still want to put the cool hose and cool power intake and maybe try the tag III. Any muffler shop can get these and I just called about 5 of them, gave them a part number, got a quote and made my decision. Meineke quoted me about 60 bucks more than my local muffler shop. I had it welded so pick someone who does good work! Exhaust temps were 50-100 degrees cooler even when I worked in on the hills. I'm monitoring my boost and ex temps with my changes one at a time to see what changes are doing what.

ToyHaulersDream
03-13-2007, 02:02 PM
I think a couple of guys on here run the AreoTurbine mufflers and I have heard great reviews

Yepper- I have been considering one of these

THD07
Jeff

Fisherguy
03-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Not really a bolt in but I just put on a 40" Nelson, 4" in and out, straight through, and only $67 from my local Cummins store.

If you know a welder, takes to 4" pre bent 45's to install it, pics in my gallery.

Full Pull
03-13-2007, 06:23 PM
I have a steight pipe but just got an MBRP S/S muffler and am going to put it on next nice day. I love my stright pipe but on long trips whyle towing our 30 ft T/T it gets kinda loud in the Cab. and them wife looks kinda crazy at me. hade it stright piped for a year .

Bourdon1350
03-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Not really a bolt in but I just put on a 40" Nelson, 4" in and out, straight through, and only $67 from my local Cummins store.

If you know a welder, takes to 4" pre bent 45's to install it, pics in my gallery.
hows it sound?

Bourdon1350
03-13-2007, 07:15 PM
I have a steight pipe but just got an MBRP S/S muffler and am going to put it on next nice day. I love my stright pipe but on long trips whyle towing our 30 ft T/T it gets kinda loud in the Cab. and them wife looks kinda crazy at me. hade it stright piped for a year .

yes, mine is way too anoying on the highway. i seriously get headaches.

Fisherguy
03-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Sounds great! Not much different than stock at an idle, then a nice tone around 2000 RPM, not obnoxious at all.
Got the idea from the DTR site. Lotsa people use the 51" too, I imagine it's a little quieter..?
Knowing a welder is the key though, I had to pay 2 hours labour for the install.

Bourdon1350
03-13-2007, 07:19 PM
2 hours?? holy crap! yeh i know a welder. so if i ever concider that, ill give him a call.

Fisherguy
03-13-2007, 07:52 PM
UAP NAPA sells the 4" bends.

DPP
06-22-2007, 12:04 AM
AREO TURBINE is a great sounding exhaust. If you have a 05-06 u do not have to change the whole system its four inch from the factory. I just replaced a section of pipe and used the 4040l areo turbine muffler...I got the system from the guys that make the cool blue hose (DIESEL POWER PRODUCTS).
We call it the Cat-back Aeroturbine kit. They are available for 04.5-07 Dodge 5.9's. Economical way to get a great sounding and performing muffler. Deep, throaty sound but quiet enough at 80 to talk on the cell.

rocknbronco
06-22-2007, 06:33 PM
We call it the Cat-back Aeroturbine kit. They are available for 04.5-07 Dodge 5.9's. Economical way to get a great sounding and performing muffler. Deep, throaty sound but quiet enough at 80 to talk on the cell.
This reminds me of a bumper stick I always see in cars whom the drivers on the cell phone "Hang up and Drive"

DPP
09-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I've had guys asking about this so I decided to try it. I just mounted a second Aeroturbine (non-resonated) in front of the CAT. The Aeroturbine behind the CAT is the resonated version. I will give some feedback. The truck is a lot quieter. My wife can usually hear me coming from about 5 blocks away. She didn't even hear me pull up yesterday. I have the CAT set-up with band clamps so I can do some MPG tests with it and without it. Aeroturbine finally lowered their pricing to make them more reasonable. So far I have been impressed just running the single. Nice throaty sound and with the combination of a PSM, Cool Hose and Smarty my MPG have been fantastic. I am currently testing the ICEBOX and while it didn't change any MPG it does make the turbo sound awesome. BTW my truck is an 05 Dodge 4x4.

Fisherguy
09-07-2007, 12:03 PM
I don't think a guy should need 2 mufflers just to make it bearable, do you?
(...especially with the price of Aeroturbines...)

I'll keep my $67 Nelson.

DPP
09-07-2007, 12:21 PM
I didn't do it to make it bearable. It sounded awesome before. I did it because customers asked me to try it and because as a shop owner it is fairly easy for me to test products. Aeroturbine claims MPG increases if it works as described I will pass on the positive feedback and if it doesn't I will give my honest impressions. Might save somebody some money down the road or might make them aware of a product worth taking a look at.

Fisherguy
09-07-2007, 08:09 PM
.... The truck is a lot quieter. My wife can usually hear me coming from about 5 blocks away....

5 blocks┐
Oh yah, I bet it sounded just awesome before! rotfl

DPP
09-09-2007, 11:50 PM
5 blocks┐
Oh yah, I bet it sounded just awesome before! rotfl
Yes, it really did, SA

paroxysym
09-12-2007, 07:41 AM
i ran a hog performance exhaust, straight 4" with a freeflow muffler(you coudl seriously look straight through the muffler) with a 6" tip. the drone wasnt that tolerable, sounded ignorant as hell- loved it, just couldnt take the drone. swapped out the muffler for a 51" donaldson. quieted her down a bit at curising speeds, hardly any drone. when you stomp on her though, talk about waking her up- love it. however, i think im going back to the hog performance muffler, just sounded more like a diesel... so the donaldson will be for sale LOL

as for an intake, check out dieselmanor.com. i pickedup my s&b intake for less than $200 shipped to me. hell of a deal and it really makes the turbo whistle. also eliminates the stock upper intake tube, and replaces it with a less restrictive tube. well worth the money.

xploretx
10-08-2007, 08:46 AM
nasteel1,

Do you get any drone with the Aero?
ALso, do you have a cat?
I like the Aero, but my 04 has no cat and am concerned about drone.

Thanks
Pete