converting to gooseneck

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by strictlyv8, Jan 13, 2008.

1. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I just bought a nice triple axle trailer cheap. The only down side is that it's has a pintle hitch. I want to convert it to a gooseneck due to it'x size. It's can carry 22995lbs according to the specs on the front. Has anyone done this before. It's a Hoop Trailer built in GA.

2. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    You're gonna need some big pieces of channel and an hitch. Other than that, basically just a matter of designing and building the hitch, and making sure its plenty strong.

3. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

There are some folks that are getting away from the channel and going to the I beam construction for the goose neck hitch. I am familiar with the idea and also feel certin that the I beam is the superior of the two. Just an idea. Also, while you are at it you may want to make sure you have plenty of clearence with the hitch. Now days trucks are only getting taller and the trailer industry seems to be slow to respond with hitches that are more accomaditing. Just my .02.

LT.

4. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

Northern Tools sells blue prints for trailers. I'm sure they'd have one on building a GN. I wonder what the tensile strength of the I beam over the 2 channels would be? Side note, it would be a lot harder to fit a upper deck on a singular I beam, if you needed that extra space. I would think that the twin channels would provide more side to side stability. Just thinkin out loud.

5. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I got a quote today. I am having it done with I beams as the trailers structure is that way, It's going to cost me 1800 with everything painted.

6. forcerecon0

forcerecon0 Member

that a deal post pics when you get done

7. karimi

karimi New Member

Make sure you post the pictures so we can see whether you succeeded. Bet they will be good

8. TimothyAdamson

TimothyAdamson New Member

Would love to see the pictures.