2000 7.3 cold start problem

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by 99ncxj, Jan 8, 2009.

1. 99ncxj

99ncxj Member

got a quick question. on my 99 super duty, its getting hard to start in the morning when its very cold. does this sound like glow plugs? I've heard that it can also be the controller for the plugs. any ideas?

oh, its got 340,000 some odd miles on it too.

2. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Its probably the glow plugs, the less working the harder it is to start.

3. strai8up

strai8up Well-Known Member

I 've been trying to get the wiring schematic for that . I have the same problem and just want to ck everything out before I pull valve covers at 60.00 each for gasket.----------- this is on nephews 99' 7.3

4. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

Glow plugs for sure, everyone else in my family runs powerstrokes. It seems glow plugs is just one of those things you have to change. I havent heard of too many controllers failing. The plugs wear out on a regular basis though.

5. tonkatoy01

tonkatoy01 Member

Media:
    it might be one of the relays. i had one of my friends come over and look at my truck. he took a volt meter and tested both relays. i believe that the 2 are the glow plug relay and the air intake heater relay, with the heater relay towards the grill. thats what my buddy said i have low amps or voltage. my glow plug relay was still good. he did say it might be the glow plugs.

ive got the haynes repair manual for Ford Superduty 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, 99' - 02' book number is 36060

6. strai8up

strai8up Well-Known Member

sorry for late response . It was the controller . All plugs checked ok . very suprised at 240,000 miles

7. diesel95ford

diesel95ford Member

the glow plug relay on the 7.3 powerstroke's are common for going out. they get to hot trying to heat the glow plugs in the winter time

8. HozzyNutz

HozzyNutz New Member

I just had to do my controller. Ordered an el-cheapo from ebay, and ended up having to get a good one. Cheapo wouldnt complete a circuit. Grrr :mad: