Alcan Hwy

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by LOUDandPROUD, Nov 11, 2007.

1. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

Alright, Im gettin reassigned to Kodiak and I plan on driving up to Homer to get on the Ferry. Who has driven the Alcan Hwy before? Right now I plan on pullin my rv up there too but we'll see what ends up happening with that. Im leaving around the 4th of Jan. I know call me crazy but if anyone has ever ridden the ferry up to Alaska before they know how BORING it is and how bad it sucks having to leave your pet locked up all day in the rig. Plus I want to see the country on the way up there. Any input/ advice is welcome.

2. Duluth Diesel

Duluth Diesel Well-Known Member

The Alcan is rough on rigs. Make sure your oil is fresh and bring a change with you just in case. If you are driving a diesel bring anti-gel and extra fuel filters. On board compressed air is a smart idea. Bring more than one spare tire for your truck and trailer. One spare is seldom enough and some of those stretches are pretty long and lonely. A CB radio is also handy to communicate with truckers and get help since you can't rely on cell phone coverage. Passing oncoming trucks often means dings in the windshield and blown headlights are a a possibility, albeit rare. Carry extra fuel and don't get yourself spread too thin on fuel out there. I'd also recommend you bring a good first aid kit and food/water in case you get stuck. Running the Alcan can go OK sometimes, but plan on the worst. It isn't a nice 4 lane interstate, that's for sure. Ruts, holes, frost heaves, washouts, etc. It can be an adventure, but it can be a fun and memorable adventure if you plan accordingly.

-Chuck

3. nineback

nineback New Member

Having lived there for 4 years and making the drive twice I would not want to do it in the dead of winter. It is a harsh environmnet and many businesses close for the winter making facilities scarce.

Buy a Milepost book and plan according to it.

Good Luck.

Tom

4. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

Thanks fellas. Ill let you know how it goes.

5. PA14piper

PA14piper New Member

driving the alcan

I have driven the Alcan several times and each time its different. The highway now is paved except for a 12 mile stretch around destruction Bay. Always fuel up when you reach 1/2 tank. A trip in Jan is going to be tough. Temps will be in the negative territory. If you dont have a heated basement in your RV dont put water in the holding tank. It will break. Take tire chains. They try to keep the highway clear but an overnight snow storm will require you to put on chains. There are some pretty steep and long grades around folded mountain and an exhaust break would be handy if its icy and remember "dont go down hill faster than you drive up". Too bad you cant make the drive in the summer, there is more color than white. Hope this helps and may your wheels keep turning and keep the greasy side down.