best bolt in muffler?

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by zippy, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

well this helps alot, i will try and get one of those in the next few months! im to busy right now to do anything. im up at 6 and get home at 6, so yeh. what is the price for the areo turbine? i knew i could just throw a muffler on cuz of the 4 inch, just didnt know if it would quiet it down too much, or not enough.

2. Lonala

Lonala Member

Look for Diesel Nut he sells them out of his shop.

3. Lonala

Lonala Member

He is on Tow Rig .Com Aloha Hope this Helps Ron

4. travis toyama

travis toyama Member

Ran my stock truck loaded for the first time with the pro-flo. Exactly what I wanted. Slight rumble at idle, could still carry a conversation in the cab when cruising, but when you romp on it ----BAD xxx! Deep and throaty! I left the cat in place so the tone was tolerable. Without it I don't think my wife and kids would have been as comfortable. Considerably louder when pulling to get up to speed or pulling the hills. And cheap to boot. I think the eliminator pipes would have been annoying at all throttle inputs. I did a lot of research on straight through replacement mufflers before picking the pro-flo. Price was my main concern because I still want to put the cool hose and cool power intake and maybe try the tag III. Any muffler shop can get these and I just called about 5 of them, gave them a part number, got a quote and made my decision. Meineke quoted me about 60 bucks more than my local muffler shop. I had it welded so pick someone who does good work! Exhaust temps were 50-100 degrees cooler even when I worked in on the hills. I'm monitoring my boost and ex temps with my changes one at a time to see what changes are doing what.

5. ToyHaulersDream

ToyHaulersDream Member

Yepper- I have been considering one of these

THD07
    Jeff

6. Fisherguy

Fisherguy Active Member

Media:
    Not really a bolt in but I just put on a 40" Nelson, 4" in and out, straight through, and only $67 from my local Cummins store.

If you know a welder, takes to 4" pre bent 45's to install it, pics in my gallery.

7. Full Pull

Full Pull Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have a steight pipe but just got an MBRP S/S muffler and am going to put it on next nice day. I love my stright pipe but on long trips whyle towing our 30 ft T/T it gets kinda loud in the Cab. and them wife looks kinda crazy at me. hade it stright piped for a year .

8. Bourdon1350

hows it sound?

9. Bourdon1350

yes, mine is way too anoying on the highway. i seriously get headaches.

10. Fisherguy

Fisherguy Active Member

Media:
    Sounds great! Not much different than stock at an idle, then a nice tone around 2000 RPM, not obnoxious at all.
    Got the idea from the DTR site. Lotsa people use the 51" too, I imagine it's a little quieter..?
    Knowing a welder is the key though, I had to pay 2 hours labour for the install.

11. Bourdon1350

2 hours?? holy crap! yeh i know a welder. so if i ever concider that, ill give him a call.

12. Fisherguy

Fisherguy Active Member

Media:
    UAP NAPA sells the 4" bends.

13. DPP

DPP Member

Cat-back Aeroturbine kit

We call it the Cat-back Aeroturbine kit. They are available for 04.5-07 Dodge 5.9's. Economical way to get a great sounding and performing muffler. Deep, throaty sound but quiet enough at 80 to talk on the cell.

14. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

This reminds me of a bumper stick I always see in cars whom the drivers on the cell phone "Hang up and Drive"

15. DPP

DPP Member

2 Aeroturbines

I've had guys asking about this so I decided to try it. I just mounted a second Aeroturbine (non-resonated) in front of the CAT. The Aeroturbine behind the CAT is the resonated version. I will give some feedback. The truck is a lot quieter. My wife can usually hear me coming from about 5 blocks away. She didn't even hear me pull up yesterday. I have the CAT set-up with band clamps so I can do some MPG tests with it and without it. Aeroturbine finally lowered their pricing to make them more reasonable. So far I have been impressed just running the single. Nice throaty sound and with the combination of a PSM, Cool Hose and Smarty my MPG have been fantastic. I am currently testing the ICEBOX and while it didn't change any MPG it does make the turbo sound awesome. BTW my truck is an 05 Dodge 4x4.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  16. Fisherguy

Fisherguy Active Member

Media:
    I don't think a guy should need 2 mufflers just to make it bearable, do you?
    (...especially with the price of Aeroturbines...)

I'll keep my $67 Nelson.

17. DPP

DPP Member

Aeroturbine

I didn't do it to make it bearable. It sounded awesome before. I did it because customers asked me to try it and because as a shop owner it is fairly easy for me to test products. Aeroturbine claims MPG increases if it works as described I will pass on the positive feedback and if it doesn't I will give my honest impressions. Might save somebody some money down the road or might make them aware of a product worth taking a look at.

18. Fisherguy

Fisherguy Active Member

Media:

5 blocks¿
    Oh yah, I bet it sounded just awesome before! rotfl

19. DPP

DPP Member

5 blocks

Yes, it really did, SA

20. paroxysym

paroxysym Member

i ran a hog performance exhaust, straight 4" with a freeflow muffler(you coudl seriously look straight through the muffler) with a 6" tip. the drone wasnt that tolerable, sounded ignorant as hell- loved it, just couldnt take the drone. swapped out the muffler for a 51" donaldson. quieted her down a bit at curising speeds, hardly any drone. when you stomp on her though, talk about waking her up- love it. however, i think im going back to the hog performance muffler, just sounded more like a diesel... so the donaldson will be for sale LOL

as for an intake, check out dieselmanor.com. i pickedup my s&b intake for less than $200 shipped to me. hell of a deal and it really makes the turbo whistle. also eliminates the stock upper intake tube, and replaces it with a less restrictive tube. well worth the money.