Deisels in the Cold

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by Hossbaby50, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 Well-Known Member

Media:
    What do I need to know about having deisels in cold weather (Colorado & North Dakota). It looks like I may buy the 98.5 Cummins I asked questions about in another thread. I may take it up to North Dakota with me and need to know what I need to do for it in the cold and extreme cold.

I know that the fuel will jell under a certain temp. What additive do I need to use and is there a good one to use to help lube the VP44 at the same time? Temps can get well below freezing so I need something good.

I know I need a block heater and a good cold weather extension cord to plug it in at night.

What motor oil should I run?

What is the special coolant I need to run in the Cummins?

What else do I need to know? Thanks

Harley

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Well I don't know much about cold weather since I live in California but I do know that Stanadyne is a very good additive. THey make a formula that will raise Cetane, prevent gelling, and lube the pump. I use their Lubricity formula that only lubricates simply because I don't need an anti gelling type additive, I've heard all their additives are the best.

The Cummins uses a grid heater system that is supposedly better than glow plugs, thats what I've heard, and it should start in pretty cold weather. I would suggest plugging it in at night if at all possible.

As far as the coolant, A low sylicot type antifreeze should be used in conjunction with some sort of nowcool to prevent cavitation in the cylinder walls. I would think that just a real strong mixture like 50/50 would be needed for really cold weather but maybe something different, I'm not sure. What my coolant system has in it is 40% Napa brand low sylicot antifreeze, 8oz of Napacool, 12oz of Redline Diesel water wetter, and 60% purified water.

3. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    15w40 is the only oil you should ever need in your Cummins, unless we are talking -30 or something like that up in Canada. MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERIES ARE IN A+++++ SHAPE. This is the biggest factor to getting a diesel started in the winter. The Cummins grid heater system is VERY effective, but man does it pull ALOT of power from the batteries before startup. If the motor isnt cranking over fast enough, it sure wont be easy to start. As for fuel, in the areas you mentioned, buying fuel from a reputable truck stop that sells alot of diesel will have you covered in terms of anti-gel additives, but Stanadyne or Power Service are good additives to use as precautions. If you can plug the truck's block heater in at night, do so.......its alot easier on all the components, if you cant, oh well. Your truck should start down to 0 or -10 without a fight, and -20 with a few attempts. I cant overemphasize the importance of good batteries, so get them checked out. waytogo

4. Hossbaby50

Media:
    I bought some PowerService yesterday. I am going to run that till I can have time to find or order some Stanadyne or Amsoil. The temps in North Dakota where I am going can get into the -30's or even lower sometimes I have been told. I should be able to plug the truck in though so that should help out alot. I guess the cold will test my batteries to see if they are any good, and if they aren't I will just pony up and get a set of Optima's and call it good.

Can you test the coolant in a Cummins with a standard antifreeze bulb tester? I need to test it before I leave for North Dakota. Is the best place to get the special antifreeze the Dodge dealer or the Cummins Dealer? Thanks

Harley

5. JJW_ND

JJW_ND New Member

Change to 5W oil

I have not ran #1 or blend since 1996-7. Standayne additive added if OAT goes below -5. Good to -35....test several times.

Good batteries help but 5W engine oil makes the biggest difference. It is approved for use in Cummins engines. The newer 5W40 oils are fine for year round use. I have been running a 5W oil in mine for over 100K miles. If you will ALWAYs have access to power to plug in, you can get buy with 15W40 but takes for ever to get oil pressure.

It really doesnt get that cold in ND. -15 to 15 is pretty common most of Dec - Feb. Change your fuel filter at the start of winter.

There are two grids to the intake heaters. You will need both of them (they both should always work) to start below -5 ..if not plugged in.

Plug in anytime you can when temps below zero. Run you power cord through a cheap timer and set it to run about 3 hours before you need the truck in the AM. Saves on the electrical bill.

jjw
    ND

6. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I can get you the Amsoil fuel additive for you if you'd like, and can get it in numerous quantities and containers if you'd like enough to get you through the winter up there. I should be an Amsoil certifiied dealer in about 2 days, just PM me.

I am not a big fan of Optimas, I don't have experience with them but I have heard they need to be charged up slowly when they have been drained and don't like a fast charge.

I don't think there is really any special coolant for the Cummins. Just a low sylicot antifreeze and an anti cavitating additive like Napacool.

7. Hossbaby50

Media:
    I will probably order some Amsoil when I get back from ND. I don't have the money for it right now and I don't have time before I leave for it to get here.

I have used Optima batteries in alot of vehicles and I really like them. I have put them in all the vehicles I and my parents have. They have worked awesome for me in every vehicle. The one in my K5 has lasted fine threw AZ summers and CO winters without an ounce of trouble.

Harley

8. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds good. If you are still interested when you get back I'll be here.

I haven't used the Optimas myself, just second hand info.

9. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

Keep it plugged in at night and this may sound kinda weird but park the truck close to the house if you can. Houses emit heat. Sory for the speling:D

10. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Not only that, but the shield the truck from the cold wind.