Looking to have a trailer hauled to Cali.

Discussion in 'Hotshot Hauler' started by Mdack, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Mdack

Mdack New Member

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can hire a guy with his own full size pick up truck, hitch, and brake box to tow a 16 foot motorcycle trailer from New Jersey to California??

2. TRUCKON

TRUCKON Member

trailer

hi, my company could haul your trailer for you, it would run 1.70 per loaded mile, thanks ben.

3. Mdack

Mdack New Member

Lets see $1.70 X 2300miles = $3910

For a little empty 16ft. motorcycle trailer???? Go back and hit that crack pipe of yours because you are on crack. LOL

4. TRUCKON

TRUCKON Member

keep dreaming!

well let us know how cheap you can get someone to do it for, just make sure its legal, and they have dot, mc numbers insurance etc.. and if you check you will see we are charging the going rate for towaway. we have 3 trucks on the road and busy all the time.

5. Mdack

Mdack New Member

I got it all taken care of for a fraction of your highway robbery price. $4000 to tow a small little empty 16 foot trailer to Cali???:confused: You guy really are some serious drugs out there. All the best to ya.

6. TRUCKON

TRUCKON Member

get a life!

no need to be so rude, no one was making you use our service. well the good news is that not all of us need to use drugs, but apparently you cant even make one post without them!

7. Mdack

Mdack New Member

Understood, but any normal human with good brain cells will know that it doesn't make any sense to pay $4000 to ship a $4500 trailer!!!!!!!! Got it?

8. TRUCKON

TRUCKON Member

well its obvious YOU know nothing about shipping, since you are saying ups, usps, fedex etc.. dont have brain cells because they charge 7.00 to ship something you paid .99 for??? i think its time you grow up get in the real world. i brooker loads every day, i know what im talking about.

9. surprise

surprise Member

Okay, so I am totally clueless. I checked Wikipedia for info on Hot Shot Hauling, and found nothing.
    Anyway, why couldn't an average unemployed guy with a pickup truck get this NJ->CA dude to sign a liability waiver, pay the unemployed guy $0.55 / mile up front, then the unemployed guy haul it? Paid another $0.55 / mile upon delivery.
    Assuming the whole deal was under the CDL weights, of course. I understand that part.
    Also assuming the unemployed guy had basic liability, no-fault, uninsured-motorist, and cargo insurance on the pickup.
    How is this any different than the guy with the pickup renting a U-haul and moving all his clothes and junk to his own uncle's residence across the country?
    I have such a deal, standing, with a few local farmers, sometimes they need one of their trailers brought to them, whether it's an empty horse trailer, or a few bales of hay, or the forks for their bucket tractor. Whatever. They phone, I go hitch up, they pay cash on delivery.
    And doesn't the OP here understand that $0.55 / mile is totally deductable?
    I figure that if I charge $0.55 / mile round trip, or $1.10 / mile one way, I'm earning about $9 / hr. After ALL my other costs. Not great, but enough to live on.

10. TRUCKON

TRUCKON Member

11. surprise

surprise Member

Haven't read them yet, but thank you kindly for bothering to post the links for me!
    Glancing at the first one, I need to comment I'm not looking to do this sneaky. I keep precise records and would do my taxes as a not-for-profit independent contractor.
    Go to your local thrift stores. You'll find the owners take home weekly pay, and can re-invest proceeds into building maintenance, and adding another location. Really not any different from maintaining a pickup, and adding a SRW trailer.
    Reading this: "He wasn't trying or planning on doing anything illegal. You guys on here are jerks. He was just looking for ideas. BTW getting paid cash, one person to another, for moving something or basically renting out your own personal truck and trailer is not illegal. Sure if he goes and starts hauling stuff for a company.... But not an individual who is not representing a company. Give the guy a break, he was not trying to take jobs from all you Licensed professionals."

In the third ling I found a lot of "greek" that I don't understand:
    "IRP Plates $400-$600 per year
    MC $300
    DOT $FREE
    UCR $42 per year
    Load Boards $30-50 each month per load board
    Wait for your MC to become ACTIVE $PRICELESS, hehe takes a few weeks sometimes
    IFTA $4, haha thats the cheap part"

This looks promising:
    "If you can get with a local manufacturer, that is the only way to go in my opinion. Working with brokers has always been a hassle, and this way no-one gets any of your revenue but you. If you can stay under the 26,000 lb plating then you can save a ton of money as you dont need an IRP plate, or an IFTA, or a CDL for that matter. Also insurance is a lot less at 26k than at 26,001 or higher."

12. txdan

txdan New Member

Priceing

The day that all haulers and shippers get their heads :doah:in the game they will learn that there is not profit to haul, tow, etc any product by hotshot. The break even point is $1.33 to operate and hotshot rig or any diesel power equipment. That includes INSURANCE, FUEL, MAINTAINCE, EXPENSES, I could keep on listing the cost but the point is no profit :eek: no profit that is and with out profit no business. The companies I haul for know this and pay me $2.40 per mile and some pay all expenses and $1.00 per mile:pimp:.