How many of us have been or are Drivers

Discussion in 'Big Rigs' started by rocknbronco, Mar 2, 2006.

1. big94GMC

big94GMC Well-Known Member

Got my Class A when I was 18, and drove for a while. Drove a little bit this summer after I'd gotten outta the Navy. I think I'll go OTR again in a couple decades when I'm in retirement.

2. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

I need some advise guy's. I've been working on trucks full time since 1989 when working on the was (kinda) fun. Now it's just a PITA with all of the electronics. Not only are we techs on the mechanical side but now we have to, and have become electronic techs. Needless to say I'm DONE! I have friends/customers that run end and belly dumps and seem to be doing pretty good at it. Now I want to give it a try. I'm gonna get my CDL and start looking for some older but not junk equipment. I won't mind working on them. Maybe buy a couple of trucks and hire another driver once the ball gets rolling. Any word from the wise would be greatwaytogo. Thanks, David.

3. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

Jusr remember if things slow down you don't have unenployment insurance. If you get hurt no money. The construction end has slowed down from 5 years ago. You could make as much or more driving for a union company. The only good thing with owning your own truck is you're your own boss.

4. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

ive drove a few different dump trucks (borrowed trucks from friends) over the last 10 years or so for our construction biz nothing huge only single axles never have gottin a cdl. not really a trucker my self but my grandpa owned a truck stop for about 20 years (greenville illinois)and mom and dad ran the resturant at a another truckstop (springfield illinois) for around 6 yrs or so. maybe soem of yall have been to one or the other, seen a bunch of different types of rigs at those places not to mention some of the characters...ive seen all kinds

5. WI PLOWBOY

WI PLOWBOY Active Member

I started in 1996 for a local LTL company until 2001 then I went OTR. Between those years have spent sometime in the seat of a dump truck, end loader,backhoe, and dozer. also several years on the farm. :pimp:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  6. todt061458

todt061458 New Member

I have been driving for 30 years. 4 million miles and counting.love it can't say my wives did. oh well such is life. current Female companion loves to drive team wth me. I think I will keep this one.:D

7. yellowk20

yellowk20 Well-Known Member

I grew up around Log trucks and rock buckets and started haulin' Logs for my dad and uncle at 16 (not legal but D.O.T. was pretty csarce on the North shore) Got my CDL on my 18th birthday and drove for the Faimily up until I went in the Airforce in '98 I drove truck In the service quite a bit as part of my duties and as a part time job ( pulled everything from million dollor gensets to Bullwagons) I got out of the service in 2004 and went to work for a Logging outfit for In Ruidoso NM Driving Log truck,Running equipment,and as a Mechanic. I quit that job for my current job in Alaska No more "large cars" for me know but on my off weeks I sometimes get to grab gears in an 86 Daycab 359 with KTTA 1150 Cummins with 13spd Main and a 4speed double over Brownie . and pull either a bellydump or a Bullwagon with that setup.....oh yeah it's got 8" straights :pimp:

8. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

I've been driving since 2000, even helped the wife get her class A. love the flatbed side, and even was the senior instructor at austin community college. currently looking (slowly) for another home of employment as long as its flatbed or heavy haul, heck might even consider a hotshot. last big truck owned was a 2001 freightliner century,N14, with autoshift(boring), I'll take a 13-18 speed gearbox anyday over that automatic:doah:ah lessons learned

9. Jus Cruisin

Jus Cruisin New Member

Still have my CDL but didn't renew the Hazmat this time. Not driving now. Sure get the itch every now and again. Was a company driver OTR. Even drove a beer delivery truck (way too much work!). Won't ever pull a refer again. Was actually hired by Averitt this year and then ran into a couple health issues and let the offer expire.

10. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

I have a class A CDL, all endosments exept bus. Drive 3 diffrent Pete's, all 379's. One has Cummins 500w/18spd other 2 have Cat C-16's that have been bumped to roughly 635Hp/w 18spds. Mainly haul Heavy equip for the FireDept. Big dozer weighs in at 95,000lbs

11. strai8up

strai8up Well-Known Member

class A w\o hazmat or passanger. Drive whatever they tell me too

12. bftank

bftank New Member

class a with tanker endorsement currently hauling a pnuematic

13. stc73

stc73 Member

Class A w/ tankers, dbls. & triples. Drive dump trucks, pump trucks, and hay rigs. Move iron with the dump truck and my lil' F-250. Been driving since i was 18 so been with a commerical lic. for 4 years now.

14. 2_wacko

2_wacko New Member

I have been driving a truck 3 years for a local oilfield water hauling company. I am currently looking for something else the oilfield is doing ****ty. I have tankers, doubles, triples, and hazmat.

15. 13MW

13MW Member

Class A w/HAZMAT. I use to drive, but havent for a few years.

16. dwayne

dwayne Member

CDL-A DBL's/TRP's & TNK endorsements, been in trucks my whole life and come from a family of drivers. So its a bit of family tradition for me. My last OTR job I was pulling for HTI Express out of Findlay, OH.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 13MW

13MW Member

Very nice lookin Pete. I think I've seen that last picture before, maybe on 'Truck Driver Forum'?

18. dwayne

dwayne Member

Yea I bet ya' have, I'm a member of Hanks Truck Pics, Largecar Mag, and the Truckers Report, and the Cummins forums..

19. DEMON

DEMON Well-Known Member

canadian version here, Class 1. but thats just on the side, primary income as Journeyman HD mechanic working on Detroits. and Commercial Vehicle inspector.

maybe cruising into a driving job for retirement.

20. PropertyLawnService

PropertyLawnService Member

I drove 1 year otr ,8months across florida on a tanker and 6months dump.
    Its fun might do it again.