Big rig tires,,,,

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by Z06-LITE, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE Member

I have a 2004 Dodge 3500 dually diesel quad cab 2 wd that is totally stock. I am thinking about putting on some 22.5 Alcoas with 255-70 Hankook tires. I don't do any heavy hauling at all. I only tow my 24 foot enclosed car trailer weighing about 6000 pounds loaded. I only want to do this for the looks and I don't use the truck that much. I have had it a little over three years and it just turned 12,000 miles. It is equiped with the 48RE and 4:10 limited slip. Any opinions on this tire change would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    The larger tires would help lower your RPM's from the 4.10 gears, in theory increasing fuel mileage, but likely the added weight from that large of a tire/wheel combo will pull you back down and cancel the gain out.

Would I do it? Probably not, adds too much unsprung weight and looks a little funny for me.

The simple fact that just one of those tires can almost support the weight of the whole truck is kind of cool, but since you aren't towing heavy you can't even get near your factory tire weight ratings though either.

It's all up to you if you like the look enough to do it, and don't forget those tires are 250-400$ a piece and they will have a somewhat large effect on handling and maybe even acceleration from the large increase in unsprung weight.

3. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE Member

Thanks for the advice. I have already priced out the conversion. All new tires and wheels, adapters, hub covers and lug nut covers will be $4200.00 plus the cost of a 2 inch leveling kit plus the cost of a good balance and alignment. I am looking at almost $5000.00 total, but I really like the look. My biggest concern is reduced braking ability and heavy wear on the stock suspension.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow, thats a healthy wad of cash.:eek: rotfl It all boils down to how bad you want it vs. the drawbacks, which way the pendelum will swing.

5. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    a guy I know has 22.5s on his duramax dually. Looks kinda cool but cold weather traction sucks. They are such a hard tire they don't hook well in the slick. You would never worry about overloading them for sure. They will last forever but pricy to replace.

6. Full Pull

Full Pull Well-Known Member

Media:
    Zo6 - Go with the michalen tire A guy on my outher site has them on his King Ranch and they look great.www. Diesel Truck World.com ,Florida Chapter.

7. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

here in Miami it's a common conversion. You might have to beef up your tranny and converter a bit. My buddy have a 04 ram 3500 on 24. That truck was on the ground. He had that truck tucking the bir rig wheels. Looked great but the ride sucked. He ended up blowing the tranny but the truck ran 13.99 with the big wheels.

8. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Hey dont forget the effect of more metal and rubber on the brakeing get some performance pads at least and if it was me I would upgrade the rotors and calipers.

9. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Or just generally push harder on the pedal...rotfl

10. PIGEON

PIGEON New Member

Wat did u end up doin wit the wheels?