Why I think GM is better

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by DMAXRIG, Feb 13, 2006.

1. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Actually, I dont know, its very possible!!! waytogo But, on another site Ive been arguing with a guy about the new 6.4 PSD. He has been saying for the last month that their numbers were going to be way higher than the posted 350/650. He swore up and down that the people from Ford told him the numbers were going to be like 375/675. Someone took a pic under the hood of the new Ford and guess what...350/650!!! So while I doubt that Cummins will increase the numbers since there already hitting some of the lots, it is still possible. I hope they do increase the numbers, I think its great the power wars. But I still like GM better!!!rotfl

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh geeze, power this power that... GM makes the most....

The Dmax currenty holds the "most power" title. B...F....D!:rolleyes: Dodge had the title at different times, and so did Ford. It's nothing more than a phase that doesn't last.

Who is still actually paying attention to factory numbers anyway? My '01 makes more power at the rear wheels than a new Dmax does at the crank.:stir:

3. DMAXRIG

You should be thankful about it though, if one didnt try to out due the other, we'd all have 175hp/ 425tq still!!waytogo

4. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Big deal.... ( those are 12v Dodge/Cummins numbers) a new pump plate, injectors, turbo and DV's. It would be making 450/900. Plus, since the stockers would still be slow it would be an even better sleeping killer.... and people would hate it even more being beat in the 1/4 by diesel power, since the stockers are so slow.:D

Now, because of the 6.0 PSD and LBZ, they are getting darned fast from the factory anyway and diesels being sleepers is starting to fall apart as more people relize their potential and begin to be aware of diesels and accept them as serious racing contenders.

So....if they were still 175/425 they would be slow, people wouldn't buy near as many of them, especially for a fashion statement as so many do, said people wouldn't have a clue what they are capable of, and us "diesel heads" would have even more fun. Racing is twice as much fun when your aponent has no idea what he is up against.:popcorn: :D

5. DMAXRIG

Whatever, I like the fact that I can get well over 350 hp and 650 ft-lb stock with a warranty!!!! I dont care that its now trendy, now there are diesel magazines, all kinds of websites, I like it. I think you just like to argue for the sake of arguing!!!

DmaxRig: "Sky sure is blue today!"

RJF's Red Cummins: "Actually, its more of a greenish color with a few white clouds, not blue!!!"

6. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    It's night time currently, GEEZE!!!!:mad: :rolleyes:

rotfl rotfl rotfl

I've got $5K worth of warranty, I pay the Snap-On man once a week for it.:D

I can't disagree on the warranty plan, I had a warranty on my Ram and loved having it. But stock is still BORING.....:popcorn:

7. marlin56345

marlin56345 New Member

you 2 are just plane nuts.:D

8. yellowk20

yellowk20 Well-Known Member

I disagree. My tow rigs ( I have the pleasure of owning all 3 brought up here-My cummins,My superduty,and my wifes D-max. )Need to run larger than stock tires I pull trailers in rough mountain and desert terrain. through mud,snow,deep sand ,and rocky terrain . we run 305-70-16's on my wifes D-max and while we have not had any halfshaft failures we have had MULTIPLE rod end failures and one Unit-bearing (truck has 43,000 miles for those wondering) My superduty has been beat like a rented Mule for 120,000 and all i've done is put brakes on it twice (of course it's about do again)

My wifes truck is nice it's a "stripper" rubber floormatts and cloth seats very comfortable and the ride is excellant and good power- but the front end has proved to be problamatic as have our other 3 IFS equiped trucks both lifted and Non Lifted and our Mileage is low around 14 -15mpg

My Super Duty ...... what a truck takes a licking and keeps on ticking awesome leather interior ,comfortable ,Good power (it's a gasser no Power Smokes for me )- But the Ride is rough way better than my Old chevys but still rough

My Cummins , what can I say awesome power and Mileage and by far my best rig in the rough stuff Plus the ride is good not as good as my chevy but close. 48,000 on the ticker and not a problem yet. I'd say the power is just a tad less than the chevy but not much ( my dodge has taller tires so that may be part of it)-- I hate my interior it looks like a friggin minivan and I worry about my stock auto

out of all three I'd say my Dodge was the best truck my only real Bitch is the Interior which to be honest I can live with.

future plans are for Dynatrac hubs for the Cummins and Superduty and a King pin 60 for the D-max as well as tranny upgrades for the 48RE in the Dodge

........My point:confused: uh ....... oh yeah not all Towrigs are pavement pounders some of us need that reliable solid axle offroad:D

9. Splash

Splash Member

Hey all,
    Unfortunately, Ford, Chevy or Dodge, it don't matter once Toyota makes a 3/4 ton and 1 ton dually with a diesel, all of the big three will be up the chit chute without a paddle.rotfl Sorry couldn't resist.

10. Diesel-Dude

Diesel-Dude Well-Known Member

Media:
    I'm actually kinda torn on the IFS-SFA debate. While I'm a big fan of the solid axle under the front of my Dodge, I'm less than impressed with the unit bearings at both ends. I run 33 x 12.50's under my Cummins because I needed the extra flotation for use on our small farm. I know the wider/heavier rubber isn't doing my unit bearings any favors and I have even gone as far as carrying a spare with me just in case. I've been thinking long and hard on a Dyna Trac conversion and eliminating the unit hubs altogether.

I can honestly say I chose my truck because of the Cummins and the beefy cast iron NV-5600. I actually like the looks of the Ford SD better than any of the 3 (4 if you count GMC) but the 6.0L PSD is a disaster and preliminary reports aren't making the new 6.4L sound much better, and I just don't like the low-slung, ground-hugging stance of the GM's.

I've always liked to ride tall in my trucks, and I'm proud of the fact that I can run a 35" tire under my truck without having to lift it if I should ever choose to. Lets see ya do that with a Chebby!:stir:

11. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    DD: I run 33s with no lift. Close enough for me, and I wouldn't want any larger on my DD and tow rig. 33s are already a little squirmy with a heavy load, I would hate to tow some of the loads I've pulled with a set of 35s! :eek: Larger tires hurt control and dramatically reduce power to the ground, neither of which are good for a tow rig. Admittedly, I also make a trade-off running my 33s, but it's acceptable IMO for the extra clearance and the aesthetic. We must each find what it right for us with respect to functionality or otherwise.

yellow: Fine, I think I've made it abundantly clear that I would never recommend IFS for someone who needs significant off-road capability with the associated larger tires. IMO, 33s are about the max the IFS can handle without issues. I've got somewhere over 50k miles on mine which has run 33 since new. I do chassis lube every 10k and have had no suspension issues. And that includes over 500 miles in 4WD on ice in a single trip, many miles of rutted dirt roads while often pulling a trailer, and so on.

The point of my whole post (so long ago) is that the "SFA rulz!" Nazis are barking up the wrong tree with the almost religious opposition to IFS in a tow rig. Nobody would begin to claim that 2WD trucks should go back to solid beam, but the SFA crew has no qualms about saying IFS has no place in a towrig where the owner (like myself) has no intention of "wheeling" or heavy off-road use, but does want 4WD for the occasional cross country trek that gets caught in the "Worst Ice Storm the Midwest has seen in 30 years" as I did.

As always, choose the right tool for the right job. And for a *Tow Rig* that spends 99.99% of it's time on the road (which is VASTLY more than 99.99% of the heavy LD trucks), and that want/need the occasional improvement in traction, IFS is vastly superior to SFA in any objective evaluation. I still have seen nothing but emotional responses or references to big tires, lift, and wheeling to dispute my claims...

12. Diesel-Dude

Diesel-Dude Well-Known Member

Media:
    So far, I haven't had any issues running 33's under my truck. Though they are 2.5 inches wider than the stockers (265-70R17) they are only 1 inch taller. I just picked up a set of Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrains in 33x12.50x17. They are a 10-ply, load range E tire (one of the few I could find in this size) which should be a little more street friendly than the M/T's I'm running now and still have the bite I need to get things done around here.

Though I drive a SFA truck, I see no problem whatsoever using a IFS truck for a tow rig, so long as the factory suspension geometry isn't compromised. The farmer down the road uses his 2000 GMC 2500 4x4 with the 6L gasser to pull his 375 bushel gooseneck grain trailer to the elevator during harvest. He's went over the scales at over 30,000 lbs more than once. It's a bone stock truck and he hasn't broken anything in the front end. The transmission on the other hand......

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  13. cummins4x4

cummins4x4 Well-Known Member

I'm with you, I own a 05 Cummins & a 06 Dmax and like the Chevy overall better...the Dmax/allison 6 speed rocks and is hard to beat.

14. cummins4x4

Even if Toyota comes out with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck I could care less. IMHO they have no experience in building a real truck and I prefer a truck that has proven itself. Plus, who wants to drive a Rice-cooker truck....I don't.

15. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:

I said it dozens of pages ago and I'll say it again. ONroad I think that the SFA trucks can be better due to the fact that they have a better track record with having less wear and failure issues under heavy....heavy use.

Trucks that are subjected to heavy towing everyday over the road down both smooth freeway and back road rural pot holes, SFA generally seems to have a better track record. Your comparison with 2wds and them being IFS is in a slightly different catagory to me, as the 4wd GM IFS setup is more complicated with more parts.

I know a ton of cattle guys that pull every day, not only do they pull heavy everyday but they pull unstable loads constantly (Ever have a cow or horse decide to jump around a little back there?). They run down rural rutted up roads (that would be onroad, not off, and I thought that was IFS's game?... those unstable strips of asphalt...) Along with getting out there and running out on the interstate, and some light offroad use down rutted up dirt roads and what not.

I know two guys that run GM IFS trucks...... guy one just bought a Toyota because he was tired of his GM's falling apart (lost the whole A-arm, knuckle, and tire and wheel once going down the road).

Guy 2 loves his Dmax. Says it works great for everything he does, and I completely believe him. But, I do see his wife in it more than him...rotfl

I know about a half dozen Cattle guys that live in the hills on BIG ranches..... one Dodge after another....and they swear by them, most because of experience.

I'll have to snap a picture one of these days, my Grain mill is right across the street from a cattle auction yard. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I have to listen to one diesel pickup after another pull in and out of that parking lot, with their cattle trailers bouncing down the road. The GM trucks out there are far and few....

16. 05' CO King Ranch

05' CO King Ranch Well-Known Member

Media:
    I hate to say it but for those of you D-Max fans out there your D-Max is an ISUZU motor. What does that mean... Yep its a rice burner!! I have a friend that own an 05 D-Max and he constantly points out that he drives a rice burner motor with a red white and blue body. So for those of you stating that you wouldn't drive a rice burner, careful of what you say. Especially if you own and drive D-Max. :doah: F.Y.I.
    Have fun with this!!!!!

17. Beeram305

Beeram305 Well-Known Member

King Ranch grab your flame suit!! :popcorn:

18. Splash

Splash Member

Hey King Ranch you are technically right about the D-Max and also wrong.
    GM bought a huge share of Izuzu back in I think 1999 or 2000 and Izuzu's diesel division along with GM developed the D-Max, then once it was developed GM sold Izuzu with the stipulation that they got to keep everything there was about the D-Max, you know plans, specs, rights and blah.
    So yes you are right the D-Max is an Izuzu motor, but as stated above GM bought Izuzu when it was developed so maybe it isn't all out ricer material. Just figured I would let you know.
    Found this info in a very informative article on Izuzu.

19. cummins4x4

Even if the Engine is a rice burner...The Truck itself has proven itself for a looong time (the engine is around for a few years too) - enough said.

20. DMAXRIG

Not to mention its the only one of the 3 that pretty much stayed the same to meet the new emissions. The 6.0 is already out dated, and now they still cant create as much power with twice as many turbos. Not sure Id be bragging bout Ford right now anyways with them having the lowest sales in April, and now Navistar is counter suing Ford.:doah: Way to go Ford!!waytogo