School me on the V-10

Discussion in 'Ford Gas Engine Rigs' started by dubbyx, Feb 14, 2006.

1. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

I read the other thread about towing with a v-10, so we don't need to go over it's towing abilities again...

let's talk maintenance, repair, upkeep, bad habits, and what you'd change about it...

I found an '01 2wd crewcab with 100k miles for $12k today, and I'm really thinking this may be my only option at a bigger truck... I gotta do something or I'm gonna be driving flintstone style without the rocks to roll on.

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Fuel mileage would be my only concern. I think it's kind of small for a V10, it's only a 6ish litre. I think Dodges V10 was an 8L motor, but swallowed gas like nothing else.

It's a 5.4L V8 with two more cylinders. I hear it's a pretty good engine.

3. J. Delaney

J. Delaney Well-Known Member

It's a 6.8L. The only problems I recall is blowing out the #5 spark plug. But that was the early modles. The guys that I know who use the V10 trucks say they get about 10-13 mpg empty and 6-8 loaded. The gasoline engines aren't as hard on trannys either.

I also remember reading an article in Motor Trend when the V10 Ford came out. They did a drag race with both trucks pulling trailers. Even though the Ford had a 1.2L disadvantage in displacment, it still ran right with the Dodge.

4. mbwagoner

mbwagoner Well-Known Member

I have a friend with a 99 ford V10. No problems. I doesn't feel like it pulls anywhere near as hard as mine, but that could be that auto/5spd difference and I don't know what rear end it has. With 10000lbs attached it just doesn't want to keep up. My mom has a Ford V10 in a motor home and loves it, except for the gas milege.

5. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I now a guy whos got one with over 169K on it and still running stong I have heard the engine can get upto 300K before needing a rebuild.I also havea neighbor who uses a excursion with the V10 they have run it bone dry on oil before and just beat anything they have into the ground and its still running strong.Also I have noticed all the V10 that come into where I work are leak free I have only seen one with a transmission leak when I was looking to buy my super duty.

6. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ford v10 with 4.30 gears behind it. Whoa, will pull every bit as hard as a diesel. Not better, but every bit as hard.waytogo

7. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    No problems with ours. Our fuel mileage seems to be about 12-13 on the highway at 80mph, and 11 or so towing around 5k. Around town it seems to be around 11mpg as well.

The 99s and 2000s were the lowest HP rating, then they were pumped up to 310 in 2001 due to some revamped heads. Anything above 01 will be a good motor. The 3V introduced in 2005 is an absolutely screamer and loves to rev. I agree with budkole that they will pull as hard as a diesel, not better, but they will do it no questions asked. You just gotta stop more for fuel. Stock for stock, I will say that the V10 equipped F250 is about the funnest pickup Ive ever driven.

8. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

thing i hate about them is the exhuast maniold studs braking off for now reason and then an exhuast leak starts, not to noticiple while running, but first sign is a squeech on startup. they just tend to shear off on there own. v10's usually do the 2 rearmost studs on the driverside, and the 5.4L usually do the 3 rear most on the pasanger side.

9. steve rogers

steve rogers Guest

98 ford van

My wife drives a 98 v10 ford van daily. 125000 miles and going strong. We had a little trouble with tranny leaks (out of the rear seal) around 70000 miles but no trouble after that. gas mileage is an issue. 10 to 18 is the best you'll see.

10. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

As far as engine oil the only weight to use is 5-20 and nothing more. Everything else is as advised (full synthetic).
    I've heard the minimum thread spark plug heads were gone by late 99 and most 2000 had the 10 thread spark plug holes.

11. rocknbronco

I just cant see how folks cant use anything other than a full syn oil after buying a newer vehicle

12. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

Hopefully we'll get a chance to go look a little closer at it this weekend. Wifey's been working and hasn't had time to go back out by it.

Gas mileage? 10-18? and this is bad? heheh... I get 10 not towing in town now. I think anything will be a step up.

I really have got to get a good rig... anybody got a good credit source?

13. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

We run the Ford V-10's here at work on a wind farm ruff use 9000#+ everyday with utility boxes on them, they hold up ok low hp when compared to a diesel at least in feel but fuel mileage is around 5-8 mpg with ours lots of hills though, but they get the job done.

14. rocknbronco

I wish Ford would offer a form of forced induction ie a turbo or super charger and intercooler set up on the triton engines,GM has it or has had it in the past,I feel they would make up more of the lack or say of lack of power in the engines.Also if done properly you could obtain much much higher fuel economy with such a set up or just drop the fuel economy and come up with sick power.

15. Sled_Dog

Sled_Dog Member

GM never offered a forced induction gas engine in a truck.

16. davidc32707

davidc32707 Member

Media:
    yea to solve your problem would be to trade in that pos v-10 an v-8 those gas motors suck at pullin i build cell phone towers an we have a couple ford f 450 3 of them are the v-10s an the rest are the new 6.0 diesel the v-10 doesnt hold up at all to the diesel lack of power. We've had 1 of our v-10s blow up the main bearing went out. I would just trade them in an get a new diesel plus they get better gas mileage.

17. rocknbronco

I could have sworn a few years ago GM had a supercharger on a small block,sorry my bad.

18. LilFordGirl

LilFordGirl Active Member

From what I have heard some of the 08 V10's will be supercharged. I dont know if this is true but I have a pretty good source. I know for sure the 08 Harley Super Duty V10's are supercharged. If you go with at least an 03 V10 youll be good, but try your best to go for an 05 and up, they've got 360-ish HP.waytogo

19. LilFordGirl

LilFordGirl Active Member

I think the Joe Gibbs Silverado was Super Charged.

20. rocknbronco

V10 supercharged will be great