Who here has ATV's??

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by stallion85, Nov 14, 2005.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Closest competition for the Scrambler. I like the KFX with it being a 700 twin and auto but no 4x4, have to have 4x4. I lot of people think Polaris is going to drop their 700 or 800 twin into the Scrambler, I hope so.

2. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks Well-Known Member

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from on the need for 4x4. But, I don't have that need because the type of ATV riding I do is what sport quads are designed for. I also like the fact that the KFX700 has an automatic trans.

3. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Technically, the KFX is more of a cross country type quad it memory serves. I hardly ever use 4wd when using it for recreation too but I do do a lot of hillclimbs and it does come in handy then. Lately I've been jumping in and out of the canal, 4wd helps me get speed faster climbing out of the wet sides of the canal.

During the summer I work with mine, I irrigate every day and unfortuntely get into more mud than I like sometimes.

4. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Sunk my in the pond doing a hey watch this fried to electronics and killed the engine....

5. 4wydnr

4wydnr Member

I've got a Honda 400ex and wouldn't trade it for anything. Might not be the quickest or fastest built today but I guarantee I'll keep up on a trail.The best part is I'll be riding it with no rebuilds in 10 years unlike any yamaha or polaris.

My dad has a Honda rancher for running around on the farm.

RJF how much does that scrambler weigh if the grizzly is only a little heavier

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  6. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    571lbs if it has 4x4. It's definantly Polaris heavy but handles great. Although I can't do the bigger jumps like some of my friends with lighter 2x4's, I'm not sore after a fair amount of riding. The weight makes it ride nice.

7. 4wydnr

4wydnr Member

Man my 400ex weighs in at a mere 375. But the scramblers are still pretty quick when it comes down to it. Besides I bet the 4X4 is a real handy in the mud and snow.

8. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Eh, they hold their own I guess. The 500HO models like mine are just as fast as the big 700 twin Sportsmans and faster than anything smaller. It can't outrun the sporty 2x4's with decent motors though. However, a modded 400 2 stroke Scramber gets it the heck on!

9. Ten_Bucks

You know, you are right. The KFX700 is designed as more of a cross country quad than an actual sport quad. In fact, Kawasaki is using the KFX700 in the GNCC circuit right now. Its not soing as well as the 450 class quads, but it holds its own.

10. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd be all over the KFX if it came with a 4wd option.....maybe...I'm a pretty big Polaris die hard...:D

11. Ten_Bucks

Don't blame you. Polaris makes a great product.

12. 4wydnr

4wydnr Member

I was never too impressed Polaris's quality, I always thought they were kind of slapped together. I use a 2001 sportsman 500 and an 04 ranger at work for plowing sidewalks and moving log splitters and an elevator around. They work well, but I think Honda's quality is second to none.

13. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I'm actually a bigger Polaris snowmobile diehard. Polaris has always been king in the mountains with the RMKs over the years.

I like our Polaris Sportsmans (and others for the same reason) because Polaris has seemed to designed them with the farmer and rancher like myself in mind. They are bigger, heavier, and stouter than all the other brands. Obviously heavy doesn't do anything for handling but it sure does a whole lot for pushing around hay bails by the front bumper and dragging sprayers around. Just like how Polaris has come out with the tracks for their Sportsman line, thats an agriculture aimed product from what I can see. We are thinking obout purchasing an SP800 with the tracks and setting it up for field spraying.waytogo

Then there is the Scrambler. I use my Scramadamadingdong every day during the summer months checking irrigation water. That meant I needed an automatic and definantly 4x4 because where there is water....there is mud.:doah: :D I like riding for recreation too and a small sport quad is best for that. Obviously that leaves the Scrambler and the Yamaha Wolverine, the Scrambler pretty much outranks the Wolverine in every category.

Another thing is the dealer, I have a great local Polaris dealer that has always taken care of me and that goes a LONG way with any brand.

As far as the Polaris reliability, I have found all three of ours to be very reliable. I don't think their quality is any less than Honda or Yamaha. Everything breaks down eventually....talk about being snapped together....my dad's new Grizzly quit running because something was missing in the carburetor!:eek:

The main thing, Polaris sleds rock!:pimp:

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Took a pic or two of my Scrambler yesterday.:)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. 4wydnr

4wydnr Member

Here's a picture of my 400ex
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of me screwing around before heading back to school after Thanksgiving
    [​IMG]

16. mossertrucking

mossertrucking Well-Known Member

I have 2 arctic cat 500 le 4x4.

17. XTrmXJ

XTrmXJ Active Member

Ive got an 01' 500 HO scrambler I bought new then.. Since then Ive modded it to be fast as hell.. Basically I have Fox adjustable racing suspension, racing clutch, full 2.5 exhaust, 78mm jets, moddified air box, K&N filter, MX bars, Banshee nets, and some other odds and ends.. Its fast as hell and still can blast the raptors and other quads out of the water I also use it around the house for yard work and hauling the trailers around.. When I bought it I really wanted the 4x4 but instead I bought the 4x2 and they included a free winch, so depending on what Im doing, I made a quick disconect front ends to swap out the front with the winch to another bumper for race, I also have a plow that Ive attached to move dirt and stuff with it... Eventually I want to build a front mower attachment from a rider mover and motor and attach to the front and use the winch to raise and lower the deck

18. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

i dont have one but ride my lil brothers every once in a while. hes got a 500 polaris preadator i think, its soem limited editon troy lee deal. i dont know but he dropped like 11g's on it after havin stuff done on it and its fast as hell.

19. sweetk30

sweetk30 Well-Known Member

87 suzuki lt500r quadzilla . fresh motor all remaned . and for when we have snow i have a snow traxx conversion kit. i have had the quad since i was 14 years old. 28 now. there is nothin like the power of a big bore 2 stroke single.

20. XTrmXJ

XTrmXJ Active Member

AHHHH the WIDOW MAKER.. My roomate has one, and the motor is built, fast as hell, it gives me a run for the money on my MX Bike