Anyone make a 1" lift?

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Feb 7, 2007.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm kind of thinking I'd like to bring my front up 1", I don't want a leveling kit at all, a 3/4t or 1 ton is supposed to be raked IMHO, and I pull trailers all the time.

My problem is at full lock if my suspension flexes I can make my 33's rub, and from the front my truck looks "shorter" due to the bigger tires sticking out a lot past the body. I figured 1" would be about right, clear up the rubbing, make it look a hair taller in the front, but still look like an HD truck for pulling trailers.

Anyone make a 1" spacer?

2. carguy9135

carguy9135 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I think maybe you can get just a small set of body lifts or something. That should help but im not sure.

3. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

if nothing else ive heard of people heating up their coil springs to stretch em some and a inch would sound resonable to do ive never done it and i cant recall wherr the hell i heard that but i think it was soem racing show im not sure...well see if anyone else has heard of doing that... i myself wouldnt do it id just buy a 2 inch lift but just throwin ideas out to ya

4. cm cows

cm cows Well-Known Member

Media:
    not sure that anyone makes a 1" lift and not to step on anyones toes but i dont know how safe it would be to heat the coils. but tuff country or most any other aftermaket suspion company makes a 2" levling kit that may sound like to much lift for ya but it isnt it puts the pickup were it needs to be.

5. whiterocket5.9

no worries cm i have steel toe boots lol like i said i wouldnt do it....... its been buggin th crap outta me where i seen it done at

6. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm NOT going to sacrafice my ride quality. Some of the old hot rod tricks like cutting springs, heating them up etc... this is a $20K diesel pickup that pulls trailers....rotfl

I may just need to make my own spacer ring or something.

No body lift, after installing a body lift and owning a truck with one, I run away from body lifts with my tail between my legs screaming like a little girl.:D

7. cm cows

Media:
  8. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    DO NOT HEAT YOUR COILS!!!!

I know RJF won't do it, but every one else, DON'T! They are heat treated and if you heat them up enough to make them malable then you run a huge risk of making them brittle instead of able to flex and you can break a spring, which would really suck.

Best idea I can come up with is to take a 2" spacer and cut it down an inch and weld it back together, or just build one yourself. Some 4" heavy walled pipe and some 1/4" plate and you can make a set pretty easy.

The reason the 2" won't work is when you hook up a trailer the truck goes from level to dragging its a$$ and it looks stupid and weak. If you tow alot, this is not acceptable for some guys.

9. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep. I might try to just make a spacer,I'll have to look at the top of the coil real well and maybe might build something. We'll see. I was just hoping that someone made a 1" spacer to buy.

10. whiterocket5.9

i dont want yall thinkin i was telling anybody to heat and stretch their coils...lookin back it is pretty stupid to do like i said i wouldnt do it myself and i shouldnt have even posted it i was just tossin out soemthing i had seen somewhere

11. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    It's fine, don't worry about it.

12. whiterocket5.9

13. cm cows

Media:
    my borther posted on my pofile, but i have a 2" level and it does make it look weak a$$ when towin a 18' cattle trailer. and i dont know of anyone that makes a 1 inch levling kit, which would be nice, but the factory ride looks kind of strong if it anit pullin to much weight. RJF red cummis your truck is like mine and a 2 inch will make it look weak with a 2" level even if you pull a load but if you dont that is the way to go for a good look. that is my oppion!waytogo not counting the books from college :eek: HA HA!!

14. whiterocket5.9

do all lift kits make the truck look like crap when towing ? do you need bags or something in back when you lift your truck if your goin to tow to make it stay semi level?

15. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    They do because most lift give the truck a level stance. With the extra weight of a trail over or behind the axle, the springs compress some. On a stock truck the rear is slightly higher to compensate for this. When loaded the truck will set level.

If your truck sits low in the rear you are removing way too much weight from the front tires and steering can suffer as can braking performance.

16. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Plus, for me I LIKE the look of the raked HD trucks. It's almost their signature from a distance for me "whoop, yep it's a 3/4 Cummins, look how high it sits in the back" as I say to whoever is riding with me...rotfl

Another option it to go with a 2" level kit, and raise the back one more inch.

It's starting to sound like a can of worms to me...:doah:

17. TARussell

TARussell Well-Known Member

Have Ya' thought about using the factory "048" number front springs that came on the H.D. Cab Chassis trucks.? My truck has the "047" number springs on it and I clear 35" tall tires with no rubbing what so ever on compression/bounce . I still have the ass end high rake but the springs are a fair amount stiffer than the usual springs offered for our trucks.

Tom

18. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I am rubbing with 33's because I have aftermarket wheels.

The only problem with heavier springs is a rougher ride, I don't want a rougher ride.

19. TARussell

TARussell Well-Known Member

Got Ya" . Don't get the 048's than - they are stiff as can be ! I've got 047's on my truck and I feel every bump in the road - but they sure don't bottom out , even when the truck get a little air-born .

I think Super lift makes a coil spring seat 3/4" spacer that was to be used as a level from side to side when needed. You might use two of them and get some lift with them .

Tom

20. whiterocket5.9

whre do you look to find what kind of springs you have? and im with rjf if i lif the front i woudl liek to lift the rear equally. im still undecided on the whole lift idea anyway. ive seen 2" inch leveling kits but that only lifts the front is there a company that makes for lack of better terms a 2" lifted style rear leafs for the 05's or do you have to go with blocks?