School me on the V-10

Discussion in 'Ford Gas Engine Rigs' started by dubbyx, Feb 14, 2006.

1. thosetwins

thosetwins New Member

I love my V-10 its a crew cab lariat 3v 2006 with 4x4 4.10LS gears. Pulls my 2004 29 outlaw with twins on a triple axel trailer great weighs in at 9500lbs. I know its got more power then the older v10 but they are all great motors....john

2. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

My neighbor had a V-10 Excursion, fast for a 4-5 ton rig...

3. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

yes!! a supercharged V-10 would be f***ing sweet!!!

4. musicmasterstravis

except in MPG, can we say STATION HOPPER!!

5. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

In all honesty it should get better mileage with the supercharger.

6. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

yeh it actually should. more power means less throttle to make it go. so yeh it would probly get better.

7. GT4point6

GT4point6 Member

That's what I got and it runs great. Tows great as well. Towing my car hauler loaded with a car, tools, spares and the bed full of parts to Ohio and back for the NASA Nationals, I got 9 mpg.
    If you get a V10, I recommend the 3v for sure. 50k miles with zero problems.

8. rocknbronco

I am at 47K no issues yet so the 5.4 Triton I must say are much more dependable than the 6.0 Power Strokes:doah:

9. musicmasterstravis

hahaha, yeah your right

10. rocknbronco

11. PC HOTROD

PC HOTROD Member

Regarding the Supercharged engine getting better fuel mileage.... if you are using a Roots style supercharger/blower you will not get an increase in mpg. A Roots supercharger/blower is the typical blower that sits on top of the engine and is driven by a belt via the crank pulley. This setup causes parasitic drag on the engine thus decreasing fuel mileage.

If you use a centrifugal supercharger like a paxton unit, you may see some benefit as it takes less effort to turn the impeller but it's still belt driven from the engine itself, which causes parasitic drag still decreasing mileage.

A turbo is pretty much the only compression style power adder that does not cause parasitic drag, as it only requires exhaust gasses to produce the needed Hp & Tq.

I recently watched an interview with Gale Banks where he was reviewing the benefits of turbos over Roots superchargers. He demonstrated that a roots supercharger installed on a 2000~ hp Supercharged Mopar dragrace engine required about 300~ hp just to run the supercharger but the end result for that application was beneficial for drag racing (wide-open throttle) but certainly not for a daily driver due to the parasitic drag.

12. rocknbronco

Yes the new Roush supercharger for the 5.4,featured on Truck's,is very well engineered with a intercooler mounted in the intake valley. Now you would lose some effeciany due to the parasitic drag but I think it could be overcome by the amount of power being delivered. I am just wondering if they can flash one for a F250.

13. PC HOTROD

PC HOTROD Member

That would be sweet to have a supercharged 5.4 F-250 but it would most likely get even worst fuel mileage than the normally aspirated engine but it will certainly make more Hp & Tq.

14. yellowk20

yellowk20 Well-Known Member

I love my V-10 it will hang with Stock diesels all day long and the mileage isn't as bad as a the diesel heads keep screaming .
    My old Boss had an Identical truck to mine only his had a 7.3 ( otherwise completely identical ) and pulling our t-300 bobcat my truck actually got better mileage than his
    Oh and mine had twice the miles on the truck and had no problems he replaced the Cam Sensor 3 times and the turbo once in 60,000 miles

15. yellowk20

Mine gets 15-17 MPG empty and 8-12 towing

16. rocknbronco

Us gassers dont really have it as bad as folks think we do.

17. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

Hey fellas, thinkin about gettin a crew cab V-10 with a manual soon as my current ride is paid for. So far I havent read or heard much that I dislike about it. Anyone out there with an 06 or 07 have any input? How are they treating you? Hows the mileage anyway? Not that it really matters anymore....

18. yellowk20

With the price of diesel here laely its been cheaper to drive my V-10 (not to mention its more comfortable) I'd consider buying the new 3-valve V-10 my father in law has one and he has 71,000 on so far with no problems can't say that about his 6.0 powerstroke which has spent more time in the shop than on the road it seems lol .

Seriously though I just turned 150,000 on mine with no trobles at all (well other than brakes man this truck eats them up)

if you don't mind a little less power and a little less mileage (which is almost void because of the more expensive fuel) then you'll be happy with a V-10 I've been !!

19. PC HOTROD

PC HOTROD Member

For all of you who need a little more performance from your V10 Powered F250's or F350's, just check this out.

The Ford V10 Powered Trucks are crazy fast when you add a Whipple Charger (Supercharged) !!! http://youtube.com/watch?v=eqWh0nQkHwA

20. rocknbronco

Super Charger + Ford V10 = Sex on wheels:pimp: