What is all the fuss about?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by carguy9135, Mar 29, 2007.

1. carguy9135

carguy9135 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Alright, what the hell is the point of CB radios these days. And if the answer is "to talk to truckers", what is the point of that? Who has the time to drive on the highway and just talk to truckers? lol I know that back in the ol' days you could use them to listen to cops but not anymore. So whats all the fuss about?

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I basically don't know. If someone says they have one so they can talk to truckers, they are dumb. Truckers don't want to talk to people in cars with CB's.....

I have a CB in my K30 service truck, so I can talk to my guys that are in my equipment going down the highway letting them know on traffic conditions ahead, blocking off bridges, stuff us crazy farmers do.

3. Full Pull

Full Pull Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have one in my work truck for trafic and info on DOT. but most of the time Iam on mt 2 way or my Cell.

4. carguy9135

carguy9135 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ok there is a good point. My uncle uses his CB radio in his dodge to talk to other farmers. There is one constructive use of a CB.

5. cornmarine

cornmarine Well-Known Member

some of us in rural areas without cell phone service depend on them for ranching..etc. every once in awhile on the interstate, truckers can be helpful in spotting those smokies before they spot us.

6. jbawilliams

jbawilliams Active Member

I have used one to ask directions, and the most frequent use that we have had is when we are going on a trip, my Dad and I use them to communicate back and forth when we take multiple vehicles. We went to Walt Disney world one year, and other places. They have better range than the FRS radios, although we have used those too, when one or the other of us did not have CB's in the trucks.

7. XTrmXJ

XTrmXJ Active Member

I have one in my truck and use it to communicate with others when Im towing my trail rig on the highways, road traffic, basically convoying with others.. Mine also has the weather channels so I can always check winds, rain, snow, road advisories, and anything else I would need to know about

8. PolisHammer

PolisHammer Member

I use it in my 4x4 rig on the trail, if you ride in the bigger group CB is a must.:pimp:

9. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

need to get mine back in the truck but i use it as a radar detector its the best, also when traveling, if there is a major traffic problem you can ususally find away around it if not at least you can find out whats going on and how long you will be in traffic for ect..

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    i guess im dumb...

when mine is in the truck i use it to talk to truckers and to be talked to by truckers... ever want to know what exit to take to get somewhere? truckers tend to know. ever want to find out about an accident that might be in your line of travel? truckers know...

they also look for the same info from time to time... and i use it to keep myself awake on long trips...

11. meseahunt2

meseahunt2 Well-Known Member

I USE IT TO GET HELP EVERY NOW AND THEN OR JUST TO TALK TO MY BUDDIES OR THE BEST USE IS YELLING AT PEOPLE W/THE PA SYSTEM waytogo

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I drive alot of highway for work. I am a roving jobsite supervisor. I have a CB in my truck for a few reasons.

1. Weather Stations/Severe weather warnings
    2. Truckers know about accidents & why traffic is F-ed
    3. Truckers know where the cops are
    4. Yes, believe it or not I even talk to truckers sometimes. :eek:
    5. Truckers are good with directions
    6. Truckers know where the cheapest diesel fuel is
    7. Truckers can be funny as hell to listen to when they are bitchin at each other.
    8. We use them offroading to communicate on the trails.
    9. We use them to communicate when we are towing/driving to the trails on the highway.
    10. We use them to coordinate traffic moves (lane changes, stopping traffic ahead, etc) when large groups are travelling in convoy style to the trails.
    11. etc

Harley

13. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Generally, most truck drivers don't want to talk to people that have them in their autos. If many of them relized you weren't a fellow 18 wheeler you probably wouldn't get the info you may get at times.

Believe me, I know.

14. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

you mean mobile weigh stations and DOT instpections. you see one of those, and yell to your guys turn around?

15. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Well add me to the dumb pile as well I use mine on the trails and the paved roads for traveling cause truckers know the roads like the back of their head and you can get a great back up radar detector with a cb in placed where they are outlawed. I talked to truckers whom are my friends when on the road and I see them and I also talk to truckers who dont know me but dont mind me being in my four wheeler as apposed to my work rig in fact next truck is getting twin whips. Who knows it might be a southern thing down here most are friendly for whatever reason you may run into some prick everyonce in a while. Now if one was to get on the cb and start talking crap to trucks on a four wheelers that I could see getting ingnored but also listening to the fighting on the cb is funny in traffic.

16. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    No, not at all. I mean when I'm about to park my long crew cab service bodied rig right in the middle of the road at the bottom of a bridge to block any traffic from continuing up the bridge. Meanwhile, I'm radioing to my guy to bring said piece of equipment down the bridge that is almost as wide as the bridge itself.

I don't mess with class 8 trucks much, just do some of my dad's mechanic work at times and deal with them when they come into my plant looking to load, get unloaded.

My dad owns multiple companies, one being a transport business. I don't mess with that company much anymore as I used to when I was younger.

I am a warehouseman for a grain mill that him and I are partners in, thats my main job.

lastly, we farm 610 acres of rice and are partners on that also. Moving heavy farm equipment is what I meant.

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    its all about atitude. they are just as friendly as the guy or gal on the other end. especialy when you are towing a big trailer and not being a donkey about it. my handle is "lil big rig" they get the point and even ask if they just passed me or if they are behind me. from there, its a good conversation.

18. cumminsgirl23

cumminsgirl23 Member

My BF has one in his truck. Then again, he's on the road hauling all week. But we use it mainly for directions and to know where the cops are hiding. Also when my BF gets tired at night, he'll talk to some of the guys on there to stay awake and get to his destination. We've met some nice people.

19. scrambled

scrambled Member

there are a few spots up north where the cell phones don't work.

If we are out on the trail and need somehting its nice to be able to yell back at camp for them to bring it out. Doesn't chage you for roaming. we pick up the weather channel for up to date reports. If we have a accident, we know what channel the Ranger station has their radio on. They are just simple and always work....cell phones don't do that.