Super singles... come here OTR guys...

Discussion in 'Big Rigs' started by Seventy4Blazer, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    ok, so on my road trip from SoCal to PA i stoped in... i dont remember where cus i stoped a lot with my lil 35 gallon tank..
    anyway, i was at a tire shop for big rigs pricing out Dyna Beads. i saw a micheline super single sitting there.
    i had never see such a tire for the drive axles of a truck. i do a bit of research and find they have been around for a while. after i saw that tire sitting there i saw a few on the way to PA and have seen a BUNCH here in PA...
    in a sense it makes sense to me a bit... till you get a flat i can see it as a cool thing to have. more traction, less weight. i would see more drag from the tires though because you have one that is say... 25% (just for a number, no mather ar anything involved) larger than the dualls.
    anywho... the guy behind the counter says to me "thats the future of truck tires that is going to change the industry" i asked why, his answer was "because its that good."
    im here asking you guys... whats the deal? the state DOT departments fight against them as they stress the road more... makes sense a bit... the OTR guys clam to have better traction for drive and brake situations and better mileage that reduces poloutants when starting from a stop... kinda makes sense...
    what do you guys think and anyone using them?
    Grant

2. billygoatyj

billygoatyj Well-Known Member

Well I've never used them but I'll tell you what I've heard. Buddy of mine use to drive trucks and now works at a Kenworth shop. He said the tread width is the same as duels (or close enough no to matter, so I'm not sure if there is any more traction) and the big advantage is they are lighter. You've got two less sidewalls and two less sides of the rim. So they say you get better milage, but I've never seen any concrete data on that. But I wonder what differance that ammount of weight would matter when you're talkin 80K lbs. He said he wouldn't want to run them for the same reason you said, if you have a flat you are stuck. You won't be able to ease on to the next place to get a tire.

I did ask a driver how he liked them when I was unloading a flat bed of shingles and he said he loved them and they were the only way to go. He had them on the tractor and the trailer. But I got the impression he was the type that would bite on any good sales pitch.

I'm not sure they are any better for the trade off, just another way to do things. I've never seen any proof that you get better milage just that they say you do. I think they look kinda odd and we don't see them much around here. But I did just think that they might be good for trucks that see dirt alot since mud wouldn't want to get up between the tires so they might get better traction in that situation.

Well, there's my long winded two cents.

3. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

nice till you get a flat, once that happens you are sitting till the tire truck shows up.......

4. billygoatyj

billygoatyj Well-Known Member

There is an article about them in the latest diesel progress magazine that seemed pretty informative and gave the good and the bad. The magazine is free and you can get it in print or digital.

http://www.dieselprogress.com/dp/index.asp

5. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

sitting isnt fun or good for the wallet

6. WI PLOWBOY

WI PLOWBOY Active Member

I have heard that you can run on them for 50 miles before the side walls will fail

7. rjt43

rjt43 Member

All the guys I've talked to that have them say they work fine, but they make the ride terrible. Beyond that, I don't know much else.

8. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

yeah you'd think the side wall would have to be stiff as all hell to keep that much tire flat to the road

9. BigTomBBQ

BigTomBBQ Member

The super singles would look cool on a 1-ton dually!:cool:

10. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

Super singles would look real good on this 95!:pimp: :cool:...
    ...in my driveway!

Attached Files:

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    that IH would look great with my choice of flat bed and my 32 foot goose... ;-)

12. nevrenufhp

Super singles on all 4 corners, dual 6" stax, making about 500hp, pulling a toy hauler 5th wheel/RV combo, making a big statement at Pismo Dunes!

13. WI PLOWBOY

WI PLOWBOY Active Member

where is that truck at, I could use it.

14. nevrenufhp

15. 06bowtie_guy

06bowtie_guy Well-Known Member

Media:
    When I go to the truck rodeo in quebec the serious race trucks have super singles. Locally you never see super singles on the tractors. Very popular on trailers. Trucks that haul ore with the belt style dump all run them, bunch of the b-trains that haul wood run em.

16. 9 second Butiac

9 second Butiac Well-Known Member

6"? no make that 10" cannons.waytogo

17. O'Bar

O'Bar Member

Albums:
    Super singles

Hi guys, I'm new so :> be nice. I have an F550 4x4 dually 2002, and I'm looking at going with 22.5's and doing the super singles on the back. I have found the wheels I'd like to use, there Alcoa hub piloted floater wheels. Mounted on them now are 315/80R/22.5. Yes way to big. So what I need to find a low profile tire I can run on the back so I can still haul dirt when needed. And then find a steer tire that will work. Any help on this this will make my day.

Thanks guys
    John Patten

18. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

well I have owned a set of supersingles. I loved the ride compared to the the duals, mileage went up about 4 tenths when I switched over. never had to worry about flats stranding me due to having a trial runflat insert. the supersingles handled better in inclement weather, ran more miles per tire than duals, and had four less tires to worry about. so supersingles get my vote for a worthwhile tire setwaytogo

19. O'Bar

O'Bar Member

Albums:
    Ok now can any class 8 22.5 work, I found 4 float wheels that look great, but they have a deep off set. I think there 9" wheels. I'd like to run wide tire in the rear to make up for the duallys but not so wide for the front. And I have month to do in, so I think I have time????? I'm thinking 255/70/22.5 for the front, and not to sure for rear yet.

Ok Thanks guys

20. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

The supersingles are good for replacing the duals but keep the steer tires close to original if you only stay on pavement, switch to the slightly wider on/off design up front if you travel down dirt 30% of your trips.