Parents Suckered Me Into A Deal

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by carguy9135, Apr 3, 2007.

1. carguy9135

carguy9135 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Alright, my parents talked to me "future things". It involves my truck or car, sports, school, and jobs.

"Deal 1"
    This involves getting to play football and getting to play hockey year-round with traveling (believe me, its very expensive), and I have to buy my mom's 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (inline 6 -boring- and it has 36,000 miles) for $2000.

"Deal 2"
    I only get to play football, no hockey, and i get to buy the truck i want (what i would rather have) which would probably send me into debt (i only have about $8500 saved up) so i would have a car payment. This would also have an advantage because i can do more work for my dad, construction wise....

Either way i have to get a job with a consistent salary (unlike my current job) so i can pay for things and my insurance and gas and things like that. I only get to choose one of the two. I would rather have deal 1 with the truck. But my parents said im not allowed to do that.

What do you think?

2. carguy9135

Media:
    You dig the look?

I could always do this to the jeep.....

[​IMG]

3. rat_power_78

rat_power_78 Well-Known Member

Buy what you want. $8500 is a pretty good downpayment. You should be able to get a pretty damn nice truck without havin a huge payment-assuming you can get a loan. Many banks will probably want you to have a cosigner considering you most likely have no credit history. I dont mean anything bad by that, its just a part of life.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Eh, dump the hockey, keep your teeth, and buy what you want.:D

5. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

decisions decisions decisions lol your call carguy, get the jeep and have soem money left over or spend it all on the truck ya want......

6. carguy9135

Media:
    See guys, hard decision. Not sure what im gonna do.

7. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Last thing you want is a car payment...especially in high school. No bank is going to finance a 16y/o. The truck would probably have to be in your parents name meaning if you F-up say buh bye truck. the jeep would have lower insurance and alot better fuel economy. Not trying to shoot you down here just trying to paint a realistic picture.

8. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    deal one sounds awesome 2K for a jeep grand cherokee w/ 36000 miles is awesome and with the left over money you could put a sick lift and tires and stuff on the jeep. and like brent said car payments suck i have two of them and its no fun. knowing you totally own your car is a great feeling and down the road you could sell the jeep for a few grand and get a truck or whatever you really want. you are only sixteen and have plenty of years to buy the truck of your dreams. and also being sixteen whatever truck you buy you will probably end up selling it in a few years. thats my 2 cents.. i hate car payments.:mad:

9. carguy9135

Media:
    my friends and i agree with you but i would still like a truck. Them and i were talking about it and they said i could just save up a ton of money and hell, i could even buy a diesel in college. That would be pretty cool. That picture of the jeep, i got it from a jeep forum, and i found out the guy has about $6G's in that jeep because of the lift, tires, all the stuff inside, and he has gears, lockers, and a transfer case. Sounds pretty good, I could buy the jeep for $2g's, then get a lift and tires and wheels for about $3800 and still have a couple thousand dollars left to save up for the truck.

10. scrambled

scrambled Member

now yer thinkin waytogo

You really can't pass up the deal on the WJ. You could buy the WJ and drive it for a year or two and still make a nice profit. I wouldn't lift it but if you are dead set on doing that go with a Budget Boost and some 30-31's and then have the stock wheels powder coated black. Should be able to do that for about $1200 or so....

my .02

11. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    now you are thinking woot woot id say pay 2K for the jeep and maybe do some mods but not to many and then keep saving for a truck once you graduate or maybe your parents will help you out as a graduation gift and youll be able to get a newer truck one you really want.

12. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

x2...........

13. WI PLOWBOY

WI PLOWBOY Active Member

play hockey, football is not as fun , I've played both from little thru h.s.

buy a truck.

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    ehh... 8500 will more than get you a nice ride and still have cash left over... play both sports and travel, with a ride of your choice
    Grant

15. carguy9135

Media:
    Finally made my decision..................

Drum roll please........................................................

I decided im going to take the jeep for $2G, play hockey AND football, and just save up and buy a diesel in college or something like that if i can. My dad said if i get a full ride (unlikely) he will buy me a brand new diesel pickup so u never know. Thanks for the opinions guys!

16. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    cool lets see some pics!! Oh and make sure you get pops to put that truck deal in writing.waytogo

17. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    X2!!!! cangrats man!!waytogo

18. carguy9135

Media:
    Ya you guys got it. Ill try and get some pics ASAP. Ill prob take the first pics once i do something to it first. Idk that many people just wanna see pics of a stock jeep rotfl