Your thoughts on the 6.0

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by musicmasterstravis, May 27, 2007.

1. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

6.0L Owners, give me your thoughts on this diesel motor. I have heard that when everything is working they are awesome, and I have heard that they are junk... I'm looking at a 2004 F-350 King Ranch CC dually with 62,000 miles, just thought I would see if you guys could give me the thumbs up or down on it.

Thanks,
    Travis

2. jclhunter

jclhunter New Member

I own a 04 Ford 6.0 liter 4X4 crewcab and it bone stock. I purchased it used with 48000 miles on it a year ago. right now it has 180000 miles on it. It had two problems before it went out of warranty. (egr valve and a fuel injector sensor). At approx. 120000 miles it started to blow the coolant bottle up. Replaced the egr cooler, oil cooler and head gaskets then. At 180000 miles the turbo went bad and is getting replaced as I,m writing this. The truck is used both as a personal vehicle and a work truck pulling a 40 ft flatbed gooseneck trailer with loads ranging up to 33000# GCVW.
    My complaint is not with the truck but with Ford Dealers who take two weeks or more to repair the vehicle. I make my living with this truck and cannot afford the long downtime the dealers take to repair it. and its hard to find a good diesel shop to do the repair while on the road.
    The truck when working right pulls strong and had never left me stranded along side the road. Its gets approx. 8.5 to 10.5 MPG pulling depending on load and location in the country. Empty it gets 12.5 pulling the trailer and 15 MPG empty by it self.
    Will I buy another one probably. Maybe a F-550 because I pull heavy most the time. If I keep this one and get into the motor again I'am going to replace the stock head gaskets with aftermart fire ring type gaskets, block off the EGR cooler so less hot gases heat the coolant and install a boost and EGT gauges.

3. musicmasterstravis

I'm guessing yours is a F-350 Dually also? Is yours auto or stick?

4. jclhunter

jclhunter New Member

Yes it's an 5 speed auto. So far no problems with the trans. or any complaints about it.

5. jclhunter

jclhunter New Member

and yes its a F-350 6.0 liter diesel crewcab 4X4.

6. ACC inc.

ACC inc. Member

I have a 05,4x4 CC Dually. I pull a couple of trailers for work that are usually over loaded or right at the Max 14k +. With 56k on the clock and 65% being towing the truck hasn't skipped a beat. waytogo Mileage is almost exactly the same as the poster above. 8-10 with a heavy load, 12 with the trailer empty and 15 just the truck. The 6.0 is a good motor in stock form. The only real problems when you mod the motor are emissions related for the most part.

7. musicmasterstravis

do you know if the exhaust has sensors on it? cuz im lovin the sound of strait pipe on my 97. also, i know that i could just look this up but what is the legal weight of the truck, trailer, and everything for an F-350?

8. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

My truck has be good so far. I did manage to blow my egr cooler at 17,000 miles and had it elimintated. I had arp headstuds installed for safety. I tow 20k= five days a week and the tranny is awesome. TRuck has run a good 14.01 quartermile with 22.5 rims. AT our local 1/8 mile track very few sport cars can catch me.

9. powershooter

powershooter Well-Known Member

Media:
    love mine, great milage with my manual trans.waytogo

10. rat_power_78

rat_power_78 Well-Known Member

Our business recently purchased an 07 E350 with the 6.0 diesel. Its kinda soon to tell(2600 miles), but so far so good. Way better that the 351 gasser it replaced, but its not an extreme performer, but then its basically in a box on wheels.

11. reddragon4x4

reddragon4x4 Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any sensors. I straight piped my new '07 by taking off the muffler and it sounds good when you put a load on the motor. I also picked up 1.5 mpg and about 3 psi on the highway and it really cut down on my turbo lag time. Best $40 I ever spent. When the warranty is over I will probably take the cat off too.

12. musicmasterstravis

What all have you done performance wise?

13. 6.0pwrstroke

6.0pwrstroke New Member

I have an 06 f-250 crew cab long bed 4x4 with 80,000 miles on it already. I also use my truck for work. i pull trailers and load the back of the truck to the max all the time. My MPG is about the same as everyone else has posted. wish the truck unloaded would get more MPG but. I have the Banks six gun with speedloader, Banks 4 in. exhaust and thats all for now till i put some more stuff on it. I have never had a problem with the truck, the 6.0, or any of the mods. I love the truck and it has been treating me well. I make my money with my tuck so i depend on it and demand alot out of it. so far it hasn't let me down and i hope it stays that way.

14. 05' CO King Ranch

05' CO King Ranch Well-Known Member

Media:
    I flat out love mine!!! I have about 40,000 miles on it and it doesn't miss a tic. Just came back from vacation pulling a 30' fifth wheel with 2 ATV's behind. This is one pulling machine!!! I have some friends that went with us that drive 06' Chevy's with the new allison and newer D-Max. I kept up with NO problem what so ever and could go further on my tank of fuel. They have also added 4" exhaust, and programers (Hypertech, and PPE) I have a Bully Dog with a 4" Turbo back and NO muffler when towing I am on the tow/haul mode and could do every bit as much as those guys with their (increase of power over ford) with ease. Buy a Ford. They look cooler have bigger cabs and if you like big rig styling then you to will like FORD.

Jeff

15. musicmasterstravis

im still keeping my eyes out for one

16. Lifsvr7

Lifsvr7 New Member

jumpin in

one thing I have heard with everyones vids is whistling... kinda sounds like a jet, or just whooshing noise when having a 4-5 exhaust... is this normal?? I hear the cummins and they are throaty and just like a diesel, figured I'd ask since I really don't know sh*t about the psd.. thanks:confused:

17. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

The 6.0 do sound like jets and the 03 have a great whistle to them.

18. Lifsvr7

Lifsvr7 New Member

i don't suppose there is any way to keep it sounding like a diesel, and keep open enough for performance??? ie... no whooshing.. lol

19. BubbaF-250

BubbaF-250 Member

I just recently bought a 06 F-250 SD Lariat 6.0 in aug. 2007. I had two trucks in mind when i wanted to drop this much cash. I test drove a 07 chevy duramax and my ford. My dad also has a LBZ. Let me tell you, nothing beats the stock power of that duramax. My 6.0 is a slug(not any more do to aftermarket) compared to the lbz. Im a big guy though and the ford fit me better so for $34,000 I want to be comfortable. So far I do like my for though. I got the nic-name vacume cleaner cause with the 4" silverline exhaust, turbo back, and tru-flow xdi intake, it sounds like a vacum winding up or a jet thrusting down the run-way. I also have a sct livewire on it and let me tell you it wakes that 6.0 up. Next is a FASS lift pump, dont know what injectors yet, and an ats auroa turbo(not sure mild or wild yet!) Long story short, I think you would like the ford.

20. BubbaF-250

BubbaF-250 Member

I just recently bought a 06 F-250 SD Lariat 6.0 in aug. 2007. I had two trucks in mind when i wanted to drop this much cash. I test drove a 07 chevy duramax and my ford. My dad also has a LBZ. Let me tell you, nothing beats the stock power of that duramax. My 6.0 is a slug(not any more do to aftermarket) compared to the lbz. Im a big guy though and the ford fit me better so for $34,000 I want to be comfortable. So far I do like my for though. I got the nic-name vacume cleaner cause with the 4" silverline exhaust, turbo back, and tru-flow xdi intake, it sounds like a vacum winding up or a jet thrusting down the run-way. I also have a sct livewire on it and let me tell you it wakes that 6.0 up. Next is a FASS lift pump, dont know what injectors yet, and an ats auroa turbo(not sure mild or wild yet!) Long story short, I think you would like the ford.