how much power can u get outa these things?

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.5' started by jeremy89chevy, Jul 30, 2007.

1. jeremy89chevy

jeremy89chevy Member

alright well im thinking about buying a tow rig in the next year or so. i aint making the coin to buy a newer dmax. so im thinking of getting a 6.5 since i like the trucks so much and it stays in my brand. (but a cummins still comes in to my mind once and a while) but how much can u tweak these lil engines till its to much and the tranni needs to be replaced?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

They claim it is around 300 HP and 500 and some lb. FT. before you blow the lower end out of it. I have also read that the stock injection pump will not supply enough fuel to get more than around 300 out of it. Peninsular diesel sells a 400 HP motor. If you are looking for high numbers this isn't your engine.

3. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn Member

The best thing about these engines, is that the more power you make with them, the better your mileage becomes... a 300+hp 500ft-lb 6.5 may not be able to beat out a Cummins on a hill with a load behind it, but it will definitely get better mileage doing it... =)

4. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    No it doesnt, not when in similar trucks. My 12valve is making way more power than my 6.5 ever did and getting better mileage doing it, and no, there was nothing wrong with my 6.5. 6.2's and 6.5's get great mileage when in half tons, they get competitive mileage when in 3/4 and 1 tons.

5. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

jeremy89chevy, did you buy the truck?

6. Sawmill man

Sawmill man Member

they will make 500hp but they will not last long at that hp.fun to watch the ford and dodge guy eyes light up at the dyno.mine was just a toy till i blew it up need a block and heads and a good rebuild.:eek:

7. jeremy89chevy

jeremy89chevy Member

nope. im gona wait and save up for a house i think now or a harley. i got my jeep as my dd and my chevy im building that pretty much all my money went into 2000$ on tires. but on of these days maybe thanks though guys for you input