2004 f250 towing wows

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by old yeller, Sep 18, 2007.

1. old yeller

old yeller New Member

I bought my truck with the idea of getting a 5th wheel trailer.
    But after I got it home and checked out the owners manual,
    I found out that FORD says; for conventional towing 12500 lbs
    but for 5th wheel towing 13,100 lbs. Now comes the footnote,
    "f250 crewcab 4x4 limited to 10600 lbs!!! Any body have a reason why?
    Ive spoke to Ford directly(detroit) and no one can give me a straight
    answer.
    The f350 has no restrictions for its crewcab 4x4 srw, so why am I (are thef250 owners)being punished?

My truck: 2004 F250 crewcab 4x4 SRW

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom,
    Old Yeller

2. FlossBoss

FlossBoss Member

Hey, Dawg, I Feel Your Pain...................

Hey Old Yeller,

When Ford gives the wonderful tow capacities for their trucks in the brochures etc., they typically do it for 2WD trucks with regular cabs!
    As you add weight (CC versus reg cab, 4WD versus 2WD), to the truck, you effectively decrease towing capacity. You can still tow a 5er, it just has to be one of the lighter, smaller ones to be within the manuf sugg weight ratings (front & rear axle caps, GCWR, GVWR, etc)

As for the 4X4 F350, I believe that it too has "restrictions"..............you can tow more with a 4X2 F350 than you can with the 4X4, assuming that everything else on the 2 trucks is identical (engine, tranny, axle ratio, SRW or DRW, cab configuration, etc)

I was VERY skeptical that I was about to make the same mistake, so I went out and decided on the 5th wheel that I wanted FIRST............once I had an idea of the general style and a ballpark figure as to the weight of the 5er that I wanted, THEN I was in a great position to select a truck. In my particular case, I knew going in that the gross vehicle weight rating of any 5er that I chose had to be 15,600lbs or less, because based on my 4X4, CC, longbed configuration......this was the max weight the truck could safely handle.

Hope this helps,

FlossBoss

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  3. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

just add a leaf to the rear, and you have one ton suspension. tow it. you'll be fine. my dads truck is a 2000 250 and he tows a 15000 pound fifth wheel. been doin it for the past 4 years. no problems what so ever.

4. roided_ranger

roided_ranger Member

add aleaf

just add a leaf and some bags and u will be all good.

5. caissiel

caissiel Member

My friend has a 04 and tows 14k trailer. The brakes are the limiting factor on all Fords before 05. And that includes f250 to f350 DRW. The power train will do wonders as my 2005 F250 does with 15k 5th wheel trailer. I say that because its the only difference between the models.