Dodge vs Ford

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by Shifty, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Shifty

Shifty Active Member

So i'm looking to buy a tow rig when funds become available again. I will have about 12k to spend but could be up to 3 months from now before i have access to it.
    I've been searching on here and elsewhere on what i can afford and what would be my best bang for the buck. And i've come down to choosing between a 2000-2002 dodge 4x4 diesel 3/4 or 1 ton, or a 2000-2003 Ford 4x4 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. Would prefer a SRW, but a dually isnt out of the question. Has to be extended cab or 4door, and will be used as DD along with my K5 and will take the family on trips and such.

So between those trucks what gonna be better for my application? Kinda a hard question to answer maybe but any advice would be much appreciated.

And if that isnt enough info on what i need out of a new truck just let me know

2. 97powerstroker

97powerstroker Active Member

well first off i dont think you will be able to find the year of either truck you want in decent shape at all for 12k.94-97 powerstrokes are goin for 10k if there in good shape.if you want the mewer super duties id say you will pay atleast 17k.unless you want a bare bones stock 2wheel drive manual everything diesel,those could be 12k.but i see 99-03 diesels in good shape for around 20-23 and thats really nice condition,4 wheel drive,xlt.lariat models,4 door,the works.idk anything about dodges though.i bought my 97 for 10k.looks,drives excellent and its got 155k on it.i think you would like a ford.good luck

3. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yeah, like posted, with your budget you will have to do alot of shopping to find a decent truck for that price. Now, the Ford has a better cab, more comfortable and roomy. However, I think the Dodge has a better motor. Stock form, both auto transmissions are dieing for upgrades, so no benefit to either there.

Realistically, either will work well for what you are looking to do with it, it basically will come down to whichever you find that fits your budget.

Good luck with your search!

4. haulin-rv

haulin-rv Well-Known Member

Since your budget is limited and for the years you want the trucks are likely going to be high milers. If you are going high miles then Dodge is likely the better choice, atleast engine wise.

5. Shifty

Shifty Active Member

So a 99 F250 with 220k, he is asking $10,400. goin to look at it on Wed.

or would i be better off looking for a dodge ?

i never hear anything bad about the cummins.....

6. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Look at it 7.3 is the best Ford Diesel yet.

7. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

your not going to get much for 12k. probly a good 96-97 powerstroke. maybe a late 12v cummins or early 24v. but your not going to get a crew cab dodge, cuz they dont make em. you can find a newer dodge for that price but not ford. Fords hold their value better.

8. haulin-rv

9. Bourdon1350

Well i have a duramax now and wow!! save up for one of these!! this or the powerstroke! cummins aint worth havin since it comes in a dodge!

10. haulin-rv

Hmmm I just traded in Aug from a dmax to a cummins and could not be happier. I will say the dmax/ally combo is top notch, but run away from a 6.0 or 6.4 powerstroke ford!!!!!!!!

11. Bourdon1350

what year was your duramax? and id buy a 6.0 or 6.4 powerstroke. their not as bad as most people think. ha its in your sig... sorry. im suprized you didnt like your LBZ. thats what i got and its hands down the best.

12. Shifty

Shifty Active Member

So i'm still unable to find a diesel truck i am happy with, even with older models that what i first started out looking for. i have bought 2 so far and before i leave town or the parking lot something has broken that i never noticed on the inspection.

First one was a 99 f250 automatic trans- pulling out of the parking lot and it died and would restart. didnt wait to see why, got my money back and left. The test drive went great everything seemed like it worked great. trans was strong with fluid that was burnt and the 7.3 seemed pretty strong. disappointed on that one really like it.

second one i bought was a 99 dodge 3500 dually, auto trans also. was an ebay buy. i drove about 2.5 hours to insepct it before i bid. and everything seemed fine. it had the 53 block but had no leaks that i noticed after a test drive. trans fluid had a fresh change so it didnt smell burnt. i tookit out and drove it pretty hard. Had great power, and drove just like i wanted it too. engine oil was also a fresh change so couldnt tell about the previous maint.
    So i win the auction on it and drive up to pick it up, fill out the paperwork and pay the guy in $100 bils and leave. I get about 50 miles outta town and the trans starts acting funny, searching for gears and stuttering when it shifts, and finally it sticks in gear and wont downshift from 3rd or upshift... stuck in gear so to speak. I pull over and check the fluid and its BURNT THE HELL. and yes i did check all the fluids and everything before i paid. so in 50 miles the trans died? dont think so...
    called the guy to come pick me up and give me my money back and take the truck back.

SO what am i looking at wrong when i'm checking these truck out? i'm new to the diesel engines and need some advice here

13. 97powerstroker

97powerstroker Active Member

well,i would look at the ford again,it could be as simple as changing the cps on the ford,mine messed up and i could be drivin and it would die,id pull over,start it right back up and drive a quarter mile,then bam it would die again,its like a 30 dollar part.call the guy and tell him to change that,then go back and drive it again,i would def. check the ford out again,not many things go wrong on the 7.3.the dodge it sounds like he put fresh fluid in it just long enough to get you out of his property,thats messed up,forget about the dodge.if it was me i would check the ford out again,get the cps replaced(only takes 5-10 min)and i think it will be good for another 200k.goodluck

14. rocknbronco

I noticed the Cummins has been getting a bad wrap lately what up with that?

15. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:

Good plan, because it obviously never could have been fixed...right?:rolleyes: rotfl

Stuff wears out, it can't be stopped, no matter how hard someone tries.

Go and look at some more trucks and buy one that you like. When something goes wrong with it (when, not if, there is no "if") FIX IT!:D

Your Ford that died.... could of been that CPS deal that 97stroker pointed out, and could have been a crank sensor or something. Easy stuff to troubleshoot and fix.

On the Dodge, you really liked the truck... so why give up? You should of gotten the guy to rebuild the trans, and if he wouldn't do that then just go in halves with the guy on a rebuild. You would have been in better shape at that point then if you would have made it home no problem. Then.... you would have had a fresh trans and someone paid half your bill....

But... thats ok. Can't think of how much stuff I've bought over the years for dirt cheap because there was a nail in the tire and the seller thought it was cursed for life and needed to go to the crusher....:popcorn:

16. Shifty

Shifty Active Member

Cant go look at the ford again.. the next day it was taken to auction and sold :doah:

Just having really bad luck looking for a good truck, I'm not real worried about how old it is, and i could deal with it having lots of miles. Just want a good reliable truck to pull my blazer around with.

Cant find any for sale or when i do find one that looks good it turns out to a be a piece.
    guess i need to be a bit more patient and keep looking a deal should arise soon enough. right ?

17. Shifty

Shifty Active Member

Yeah, i spose i am being a little to picky with a used truck. Its just that i shouldnt have to fix a truck that is supposed to run soon as i drive it off the lot:eek: .

I did find a 97 chevy dually for $9500... maybe even $9k if the chevy dealership wants to get rid of it real bad. Just really dont want the 6.5, was a total turd when i drove it compared to the dodge/ford. Would much rather have a bit more powerful 7.3 or 5.9-12v/24v.

18. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, actually you likely should. Unfortunately, most people when they know they are nearing getting rid of something, start neglecting different things that they would normally take care of or fix, but just plan to pass the issue to the buyer.

I had to do a few things to my Dodge when I bought it, infact it left me stranded just a few hundred miles after I bought it. Lift pump quit and shut the truck down. A couple hundred miles later, A/C evaporator popped AND compressor front seal started leaking. Couple thousand later, tranny took a dump....

I got everything fixed and then experienced nearly 40,000 trouble free miles. Just recently, I had to do a heater core.

If you want a problem free truck, you better go buy something brand new, so at least then WHEN the new truck has problems you can just leave it at the dealer and use your warranty.

19. rocknbronco

Nothing wrong with wanting something nice it may take a bit longer but you will find it if you take your time.

20. Shifty

Shifty Active Member

Found this truck up near KC.

In my price range for sure, anything in specific i should look at on this particular truck when i check it out this weekend ?

still need to find out the miles it has on it, will be trying to get ahold of the guy in the morning to aska few questions