Drove an LB7 Duramax today.

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I can see why some of you guys really like them, they are cute little things..... I'm thining about getting the wife one....:D :stir:

2. 97powerstroker

97powerstroker Active Member

sounds like you want it.forget the dmax,get rid of that cummins,join the powerstroke community,we could use a guy like you.waytogo

3. cornmarine

cornmarine Well-Known Member

so what you are saying is that you arent ready for an lbz yet?? :stir:

4. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    What...and be stuck at the bottom of the food chain? :popcorn:

5. nt4me9016

nt4me9016 Member

Ouch!!! chairshot.gif with a side of nutkick.gif resulting in flame.gif

Smiley-in-the-Microwave.gif

6. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

7. 97powerstroker

ill pretend i didnt hear that.:mad:

8. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't be mad at me...I'm not the one that designed and built the 6.0 and 6.4 PSD's....rotfl

9. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    who cares about strokes and cummins and dirtymax's they all have there disadvantages and advantages, the 7.3 is the only good stroke ever made. the 5.9 cummins is amazing and torquey and the duramax makes insane horsepower when tuned. i think ill take one of each for all the different reasons i would need each!

10. 05' CO King Ranch

05' CO King Ranch Well-Known Member

Media:
    That's right!! If you don't own a Cummins powered by a cheaply built dodge than this forum isn't for you!!! Tow Rig.com is ONLY about cummins powered units!! I have made the switch to better forums that aren't sooooo biased. Enjoy your cummins and I will enjoy my new 6.4 powerstroke. (In talking with service reps and tech's who work on the new 6.4 the problems aren't significant in the big real world) Anyone can talk crap reguarding other brands however unless you have owned each and every one of them than your only giving an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions... Just like a**holes everyone has one!!:popcorn: waytogo

11. cornmarine

cornmarine Well-Known Member

actually the great thing about this site is that it stays mostly friendly and informative. ive been a part of this site for awhile now and i dont think i am biased in any way. in fact, most members here just believe in preference. i mean hell, we all know the cummins is backed by a tranny from an RC car, the powerstroke is like a woman, it come apart once a month, and finally, the duramax is lucky to stay off the pavement with the off road incapable IFS under there. the only real problem with this site is all the blowin' smoke...........waytogo

12. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Have a chill pill and come see us in the morning.....:D You are in the "brand wars" forum, incase you didn't notice on the way in. It's just for fun. I drove a Dmax, and thought I'd have some fun and poke at the Dmax guys, nothing more....just some fun and something to get people posting.;)

I own Dodge, GM, Ford, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Yamaha, John Deere, International, CAT, Freightliner, Peterbilt, Kubota, Versatile, Case, Yale, White......Brand loyal doesn't show around this ranch!:popcorn:

If you can find a website that is less brand loyal AND caters to the different groups better than towrig.com... I'l mail you a cookie.:D waytogo

13. 97powerstroker

i go away for a few days and look what happens,everybody gets sensitive.ill be honest,i would like to drive a cummins and a dmax,key word there DRIVE not own,unless i really really liked it.it would take a something special to pull me away from my ford.i just want to drive all brands and compare that way.i do like the cummins sound,i also like the looks of the older dodges pre 2002 i think.the dmax,some of them look good,cant hear em but they look ok.then the ford,it hands down looks the best,always has,always will.i personally really like the 6.0,best sounding diesel ive ever heard.from my exp. drivin them they have plenty of power for anything you need. When the 6.0 came out,it blew away the dmax and cummins,the cummins was a joke in the early 2000's.all people talk about is the problems of the 6.0,head stud,egr coolers,head gaskets,injectors.what about the good though?ill take a 6.0 any day of the week,happily.:cool:

14. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    You'd find that the Dmax feels similar to the PSD's of any year, just with more power and just an all around better "feeling" engine compared to the 13 letter $hit spreader in the Fords.:D

The Cummins just flat feels completely different. IMHO, I've driven them all including the 6.6Dmax (the other day wasn't the first), 7.3, 6.0...., The PSD's and Dmax feel like a 454 gas engine to me. Decent mid range torque, but mostly like to still rev up pretty good to make any power. The 6.0 was the worst of the bunch, it even felt like more of a "small block" to me.

The Cummins is all bottom end compared to the others. The low end torque surge is wild, thats why it's so hard to keep an auto from slipping behind them. I will admit that the Cummins doesn't seem to quite have the high RPM punch of the Dmax (the Fords I've driven didn't have anything over the Cummins in top end), but the low end torque curve of the cummins makes the other engines feel weak by comparison, hints why a guy that is used to the Cummins Dodge would find the other engines very "V8 gas engine like...."

When I'm pulling my gooseneck, sled trailer, whatever..... I live between 1400-2200RPM. If all I wanted was a race car out of my diesel, I probably would look at the Dmax's much more, but I pull all the time.

We are actually considering adding a Dmax to the lineup, as getting rid of one of these darned 454 GM trucks would be nice, and adding yet another Dodge/Cummins would just be boring....

15. 97powerstroker

what is your dodge rated at stock rjf.stock hp,tq ,also whats the tow rating for it.

16. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    235HP/460ftlbs

IIRC, a guy can pull 9K at the reciever and 13K with a gooseneck. Manual trans equipped trucks are a little higher.

17. 97powerstroker

someone explain why a manual is better for towing.i know the engine braking is much better but as far as power,it seems to me like a auto is better power.its always puttin power to the ground,can revv higher at anytime,if you stomp a auto,the engine will rev up quick and be creating more power,whereas a manual will only rev up if it has the power to reach that rpm,unless you downshift but even then it can only rev if it has the power.so why is a manual better? somebody take me to school :confused:

18. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    the advantage of a manual is simply you dont have a torque converter and clutches all trying to lock up and put power to the ground. with a manual you just have one clutch and once that locks up all your power is going to the ground. and over time the clutches between each gear burn up especially while towing. in a manual you shift only possibly burning up one clutch and each gear locks in until the clutch starts going out or you press the pedal in. autos are definately for racing because you never lose boost.

19. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    1. In the past, autos have only had 4 and sometimes only 3 gears. Compared to manuals that have 5 and 6 gears. It's only been very recent that there are now 5 and even 6 speed autos.

2. Generally manuals are more robust than autos and if you are always towing, you should get a lot more miles out of a manual trans than an auto.

3. It is somewhat true that you *can* accelerate faster towing with an auto than a manual from a dead stop. Going down the road is different, you are forgetting that today's torque converters lock up and don't slip. You get the same exact bog that you get with a manual as the locked converter won't let it instantly rev up, just like a clutch infront of a 6 spd won't, except that you have less gears to actually pick for the best speed.

20. 05HDRAM

05HDRAM Member

Autos have come a long way in a short period of time. Having the extra gear in the auto is nice, too bad I don't. :mad:

Both have their plus and minus, it more or less boils down to personal preference. There are many autos out there with high miles on them. You need to keep them cool, and change the fluid on schedule. If you have some extra bucks to throw in a better converter, clutches, and a valve body - expect even more life and performance (as long as you are not doing boosted launches).