School me on the V-10

Discussion in 'Ford Gas Engine Rigs' started by dubbyx, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    its a throw away block due to the design. once its time for a rebuild its time for a new block most of the time. no space to bore due to the fact it was a 5.4L block with extra holes in it.

2. yellowk20

yellowk20 Well-Known Member

This is probaly true but I have a 160,000 plus on mine and it doesn't use any oil between changes
    I mean thats pretty good when you think about it whats the service life on these engines???

3. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

You can go 300K with a V10 or V8 Triton according to my instructors in auto tech. I have seen some with over 300K and some with 250K with no leaks at all due to the fact of synthetic oil from day one, some with 30K leaking "Oh I just want the cheap stuff" or "Oils oil" pretty much cheap idiots.
    Service life depends on type of oil/quality, oil change intervals, and regular maintence, tune up, ect. You can work an engine to death or work the heck out of an engine and give it good maintance which one do you think will get you farther?????

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    i thought that was with EVERY engine... :stir:
    i didnt say the V10 was a bad engine, i just said once it IS time for a rebuild, then its time for a new engine. in MY eyes its a bad engine because its a nightmare at the pump.

5. yellowk20

I don't know why people say that my truck gets 14-16 mpg average I've gotten as good as 17 on the highway MY worst tank ever was 9.5 I have freinds with exact same truck but with Power strokes 7.3's and 6.0's that get about the same plus with diesel being 25 to 30 cents a gallon Higher its cheaper to Drive my gas rig .

Fuel econmy in diesel is really no longer a selling point if your buying a diesel these days its for the Power and longeveity and since most poeple don't put more than 100000 on there vehicles it just comes down to power

6. rocknbronco

With the 6.4 I hear even older carbed 460's are getting better mileage.

7. yellowk20

LOL I have a fuel injected 460 in a f-350 and it gets 8 mpg loaded or unloaded no matter how I drive it

8. rocknbronco

I'm envoius mine only got 4 to 6 mpg.