2006 Nissan Titan

Discussion in 'Other Tow Rigs' started by CK5, Apr 24, 2005.

1. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Just curious, anyone have or tow with a Nissan Titan?

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 Active Member

Don't own one but have driven one, very nice. Good power, lots of cutting edge features and "why didn't I think of that" ideas throughout. IMO, probably the best 1/2 ton truck on the market, if you can stand the styling. Huge interior. I would definately reccomend the lower axle gears if you're going to pull anything. Look for a 3/4 ton in a year or two, possibly with a diesel. As a side note, the new generation Tundra should be out as an '07. I've read that a HD version will be available, and possibly a dually model. Look for a larger gas engine and a turbodiesel with around 700ft lb of torque. Not sure how much truth is in what I've read, but definately something to look for.

3. CK5

Media:
    Yeah, I have heard the rumors on the Toyota's, interesting.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Not interested in them personally.....It's got to be a Dodge, Ford, or GM for me.

5. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 Active Member

I understand the whole support the big three mentality, to each their own. However, the pickups manufactured by Toyota and Nissan are built in america, by american workers, using parts sourced by the same manufacturers as the big three. In many cases, the american content of the "import trucks" is higher than the domestics. I want my money to support families, not giant multinational corparations that do nothing to support working class america. The way I see it, the same number of blue collar families are going to get a piece of my coin no matter who's truck I purchase. If I'm going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a new vehicle, I want to purchase the very best one that I can, regardless of brand. IMO, The big three have never been able to build a pickup that has the build quality and reliability of Toyota or Nissan. Now that Toyota and Nissan are beginning to build real full size trucks, they can become an option for those of us who actually need to tow and haul with our rigs. The main saving grace for the big three is the huge rebates and low financing that they offer on their trucks in order to keep them selling.

6. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I know about all that and I don't really care. I don't care where the parts are made and who puts them together, too a point. Regardless, the first truck Ford, Chevy, and Dodge ever built was here in America, not Toyota or the rest of their mini pickups.

The reason why I support the big three is because they are the only ones that have been building 3/4ton and 1 ton pickups, especially with diesels, when Toyota and the rest of the asian manufacturers wouldn't bother with anything bigger than a dorky Four Runner. The big three have been building trucks that are actually HD enough to be used for the purposes me and all of my neighboring farmers use our trucks for, The asians never bothered to care about us years back for our HD pickup needs....it's our turn to repay them.

7. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    What in the hell are you talking about? The reason they never imported anything larger than a minitruck is because of the restrictions and tariffs on them. Why do you think that in order to sell fullsizes in the US, they have to build them here. The T-100 is a perfect example. It was a $35,000+ midsize truck, because of all the regulations and restrictions put on it when importing them. Just because they arent sold here doesnt mean the Jap's dont know what they are doing, or havent been building heavier duty trucks.

Toyota even tried to get arround the tariff's and regulations in the 80's by building 1-ton rated minitrucks, they had a 2600 pound payload rating, towing capacity of 5K pounds, but was still a minitruck. Obviously it didnt sell very well, and was dropped because of this. People who wanted to be able to haul 2600 pounds werent about to buy a dinky little Jap truck.

8. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm talking about that the fact that they never produced any real 1 ton or 3/4 ton here in the states. I don't care what they built in asianville, I don't live there. Chevy, Dodge, and GM have been building diesel pickups for years here inthe states and I'm not about to buy a Toyota when they haven't. I'm sure Toyota will build a fine HD pickup (if they ever actually do) Anything that couldn't compete witht the big three's trucks would fall flat on it's face on the market and I'm sure they now that.

For me it's about sticking with what I know and prefer. It would be like someone in a small town that had been going to the same small coffee shop every morning for years for a cup of coffee and recieved good service, then a Starbucks pops up around the corner..... I would doubt that same fellow would change his morning routine much.

9. GreekK5

GreekK5 New Member

Yea but with all the money that the Japanese three(toyohondissan) make in america, they do not even reinvest any of that money back into america it goes straight to japan. Oh and please dont try and feed us that reliability garbage go look for yourself at how much GM( i didnt bother to look at dodge or ford cause i dont care) has improved. Its quality is higher than nissan and on par with toyota.

10. tractorguy

tractorguy Active Member

The Japanese machines are very well engineered and built. I had an '81(?) Datsun King cab that never had a problem, and ran forever (300,000 miles+). I just traded my '03 Tundra for my Dodge. I wouldn't go back for various reasons (I really needed a full sized truck that could TOW), but I will say this; for what it could do, and I was often surprised by its capabilities, the truck never failed to satisfy, never had a problem, was a pleasure to drive and was worth every penny. It reeked of quality.
    So does my new Dodge.
    But it's a real TRUCK! :D

11. RCPILOT

RCPILOT Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Just bought a 2005 Titan King Cab this weekend... have'nt towed with it yet.. got the tow pkg and its rated to tow 9200 lbs! The engines are rated 305hp 379tq... coupled with a 5 speed auto and Dana rear axles. The tow pkg gave me a rear ratio equiviallant (sp) to a 4spd 4:10 ratio, it also has a tranny temp guage... I heard great reviews ref. its towing ability, I'll post up after I get it broke in and tow a few times. waytogo

12. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

Bobby won't buy a Jap truck built by Americans but would buy a Dodge truck built in Mexico? :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: :stir: :stir: :popcorn: rotfl

13. CK5

Media:
    Dana rear axle, which size I wonder? Nice to see a tranny temp gauge factory, wheres the pics? Want to see the interior.

14. CK5

Media:
    Hey, what's wrong with my German owned, built in Mexico with parts from asia Dodge? rotfl
    Edit - Not sure on the parts from Asia but it wouldn't surprise me. :rolleyes:

15. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Its a Dana 44 IIRC

16. RCPILOT

RCPILOT Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm away from home until Monday... I'll post up some pics then.... waytogo

17. RCPILOT

RCPILOT Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Here's the pics... also the service dept. confirmed the axle is a D44...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the last photo the half doors open 168 deg, back to the bed... it's easy to load stuff waytogo

18. camsk5

camsk5 Member

Steve,,,

I couldnt help it.. a friend got sideways in a new titan cc 4 x 4.... he had bought two trucks for cash and then immediately hit the financial skids... I picked this one up for 20k with 3500 miles on it... list was 39k... real life selling for about 30.. although I dont imagine they are worth it...

It is a very powerful peppy truck... this one has the volant intake and banks monster exhaust on it from the dealer... they charged him 1500.00 on the invoice...ouch

They havent seen much towing as the fleet yet... who knows how theyll do.. but for a car/truck its really nice... roomy.. well thought out...
    the d44 is has shown to be problematic during the first production run and a lot have blown up, mostly the electronic lockers but a number of open diff ones as well (pin coming loose in the carrier...theres a tsb on it). Mine and the later runs have synthetic oil and aluminum finned diff covers... band aids that wont work... who knows what the eventual fix will be

there is also a major tsb on the front brakes that are warping... tsb gets you new thicker rotors, new calipers ,new rear discs...etc... but nissan isnt squeaking and up'd the warranty on this tsb for fleet to 5 yrs/50 k I believe

and lastly a minor tsb letter that just went out on the tow harness... I havent seen it yet so Im not sure what the problem is...

I was lucky...the dealer saw my buddy coming and sold him everything... so I have a 7 yr/100k gold preferred warranty... they'll get tired of me :)

I joined a TITAN specific forum... there one or two good ones out there... but alot of the people dont know anything about vehicles... very different from here and ck5

cam

19. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

Imports have been paying my mortage for 7 years now. So they can't be that great. I honestly think people who own imports are brain washed to think that hey run for ever. The 3.0L that was in I beleive 89-95 or 96 toyota pick-ups and 4 runners was garbage. Guttless, not much better fuel mileage than a 350 Chevy and plagued with headgasket problems. Stevens Creek Toyota had mechanics around the clock trying to keep up with them. Honda has had auto trans. problems for the last 4 years. Ignitor, Distributor, and Fuel pump problems for years as well. Have a fleet company with 15 Toyota tacomas. 6 of them has had #1 cylinder lose compression at about 100K. I have plenty of cust. with well over 200K on there Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. I personally used to laugh at those Toyotas that said 1TON on the back with the same little six lug wheels. And Yet an American 3/4 or 1 Ton is basically a completey different drivetrain from a 1/2 ton. From what I have read in the papers one of the main problems is Ford and Chevy will catch hell for leaving Detroit and the Auto Workers Union. But these Japanese companies are building plants in a less exspensive area and do not have to join any type of union. GM and Ford pay someone $20 after benefits and taxes it is costing them $30 or more per hour. Where Hyundai and the such can go somewhere in the south pay someone $15 and not pay medical, dental or 401K. I have a friend working at Nissan and I asked him how the trucks are actually holding up being they can tow 9500 lbs(with such a puny rearend). He told me they are having all kinds of issues and people are still buyimg them. He said mostly the buyers are parents buying them for there kids but I'm sure there are some of the older generation buying the also. I'm with RJF'S REDCUMMINS. I'll only own FORD, CHEVY, DODGE.

20. Project84k5

Project84k5 Active Member

i traded my '04 titan in on my dodge about 3 weeks ago. i had more problems with that truck than all of the cars i have ever had put in to one. it was a good truck when it ran and it did have alot of power, again when it ran. i wouldnt buy another one because of the problems i had. when you have 4 sets of engine computers and a rear axle replaced before you have 8000 miles on a vehicle, it tends to sour you a little. also, when i towed my k5 with it, it tends to need about 5 times the brakes that nissan gave it. and yes i had the tow package.

ryan