Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 6.7 (24v)' started by Buzz 880, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Buzz 880

Buzz 880 Member

I was just wondering what kind of mileage you guys are getting with the new 6.7.I have a 2004 3500 srw crew cab 4x4 with 5.9 274000 km on it and thinking about a new truck in the near future.I average 20 mi/gal just want to know if the new ones are as good or better.

2. 2007CUMMINZ

2007CUMMINZ Well-Known Member

Don't expect that. I have early 6.7L and it has taken 6 months of flashes to ECM to get it where I think it is now right. My overhead is mostly 13.0 around town. I can get 16 on highway. I think after I get 20k on it the mileage will be a little better. If you want to bomb it think again.

3. mister3

mister3 Member

i'd just keep the '04 and maybe chip it until they get the 6.7 straightened out... overall i like the truck alot but the fuel economy aspect isn't as good compared to the '04... compared to other new trucks (Ford, Chevy) the mileage is GREAT!we have seen anywhere from 11-20mpg but usually average around 15 unloaded (city/hwy combined) and around 11-13mpg towing a 8x16 bumper pull car trailer w/3k lb car.

one thing me and the GF have been discussing is that sometimes i think we're getting low sulfur fuel and not the ultra low at the pumps.... that might affect mileage some but it's hard to tell which it runs better on since the pumps are not labeled most times we fill up....

4. Dave@BD-Power

Dave@BD-Power Well-Known Member

That's been my experience with the newer 6.7L Cummins and even the new 6.4L Fords, very poor fuel economy! The chips are helping a bit with fuel economy but not like on the early 2nd and 3rd gens.

The exhaust systems are really inefficient on these trucks in attempt to clean the emissions up, the result is really poor fuel economy. I am all for green emissions and cleaner burning diesels but if we are burning twice as much fuel, I do not care how clean it burns, its not better for the environment... if anything its worse!

I will never part with my 500HP, no smoke, 22MPG, 03 Cummins!!!!

NEVER

5. mister3

mister3 Member

you really need to quit making sense!!

6. Dave@BD-Power

Dave@BD-Power Well-Known Member

Sorry I hate when I do that, so does my wife LOL

7. 2007CUMMINZ

8. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

How are egts and noise at lower rpms?

**FYI, I just clicked on your links and my security software stopped me, TROJAN VIRUS detected. :eek: I have been to your web site before without any problems.

9. 2007CUMMINZ

10. 2007CUMMINZ

Back to the topic...

We are not burning twice the fuel. I am running the cleanest diesel on the planet. I am towing GCVW 26k @ 10-14mpg. NOBODY with pre-07.5 is getting 20-28mpg towing GCVW 26k:confused: That would be twice as good. The tailpipe on my 5"MBRP now is clean to the wipe. The fact that we may be using twice the fuel alone does not mean it is extremely bad for the environment. Duke Energy and Progress Energy are spending Billions right now to clean their smoke stacks. Why should we not bite the bullet also.

CumminZ

11. mister3

mister3 Member

we clocked 11.3 mpg towing a bumper pull car trailer w/3k lb car on it where my neighbor has a early '07 w/5.9 and they tow 20k lbs and get a little better fuel economy... granted they have the same truck minus the A/T and 4x4 but still.... around town they get 22mpg and both of these trucks are bone stock from the factory.

also liked the 6.7 air filter getting plugged by 8500 miles on road driving :(

12. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

13. 2007CUMMINZ

WOODS,

Thanks, I am sure it is the "Amazon" link on the page toward the bottom. I will remove it now and you try it again. The Amazon coding probably sends back to your computer a cookie that your virus protection does not like.

Thanks again

CumminZ

14. MPC 1

MPC 1 Member

This is my 4th diesel p/u & so far the milage is not as good as I had hoped but not really to mutch different from the others. Took a 130mi run for lunch yesterday (rain, not much to do) Overhead showed 15.1 hand calc. 15.22 mpg. This was unloaded 65-70 mph. on c/c.Truck has about 6000mi.. We tow a 34ft. livingquarters horsetrailer @ 16,000 # so far I have been getting 9.5-11.5 mpg