Torque

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by danoren, Oct 27, 2008.

1. danoren

danoren Active Member

Media:
    I am using the tow mostly for towing my 5W and considering to upgrade for another diesel.
    I have read an article regarding torque by Mark Corgan:

" Think torque rather than horsepower for towing. If the terrain permits, see how confident the vehicle can accelerate from a stop up a steep hill. Torque is what gets the load moving so in general, the more you have the better.

Modern turbo-diesels really excel in towing, and they're a great choice when available due to their better mileage and long-term durability. They also maintain their power at higher altitudes where gas engines tend to lose power, as much as 3% power per 1000 feet of altitude. This assumes the gas engine is not turbo or supercharged."

My question is:
    Which truck should I chose to pull my 5W 11500LBS (loaded) and has the best torque without doing an overkill?
    Thanks

2. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

Okay, if I understand your question correctly you are wanting the best truck towing 11,500 lbs. Simple, any of the big three will do what you are wanting. The real choice is up to you. What vehicle catches your eye? Are you looking for pure comfort or are you looking for a rig that may be able to do a little light off roading? What kinds of options are you looking for? Nothing beats a Chevy or GMC for the ride both towing and unloaded. The D-max that is offered in the GM trucks is also a top notch motor along with the Allison tranny. The Ford has caught a bad rap after the introduction of thier 6.0 liter Powerstroke engine. The motor has been plauged with problems but, Ford does have strengths as well. Ford offers more configuritions than both GM and Dodge. So, your wants may be easier to find in a Ford. Dodge has the rougher ride of the big three (at least that is my experience). But, the Dodge 5.9 liter Cummins motor develops peak touque at a lower RPM range than the GM or Ford. Any one of the big three will do what you want. What you need to decide is what truck do you like the best. I am a Dodge fan so I would push the Dodge more than the other two. But, the Dodge is not as highway friendly as the other two.

LT.

3. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Rob pretty much nailed it. Im a GM guy, I bought the dodge for the cummins and the ground clearence. I work on my own stuff and a inline 6 is much easier to work on than any V8 and I'm shooting for the million mile mark with this truck. I also get off road often. Now If I was retired pulling my RV cross country and plan to get rid of the truck while under warranty, the dmax would be first on the list.

4. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    When I hear torque, I think Cummins...

But I like the ford truck and the chevy transmission...

Each of the three have their pros and cons so it just comes down to your personal preference.

5. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Either a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy will work just fine.

6. jake

jake Well-Known Member

I see in your signature that you currently have a '94 ford with a 7.3 that is not turbo charged. If you are used to driving a truck like that any of the new trucks will have twice the power and troque, plus handle and stop a heavy load a lot better. I have a one ton dodge and love it, but which brand you choose is your own personal prefernce.waytogo

7. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

His truck does have a turbo...all 94's have Turbos.

8. strai8up

strai8up Well-Known Member

The turbo was an option in 94 and standard on all 95. Go read the august edition of diesel power mag . Besides that. I had one too.

9. jake

jake Well-Known Member

My bad.:doah::eek: I don't know what I was thinking, his signature line does say it has a turbo, and I also knew that, had a buddie that had a '94 turbo diesel back in '96-'97, sweet ride then. I guess maybe I was thinking about the Power Stroke name, as I believe they weren't called that till '95.

10. gbuddenhagen

gbuddenhagen Well-Known Member

I Agree With Rob All The Way....dodge 5.9 Bad To The Bone ....second Choice Would Be The Gm Duramax.....fords Are Great Looking But Not All There, I Drove Hot Shot For A While And Dodge And Durmax Are The Choice For Over The Road Mostly Dodge....now Stay Away From The New Emmisions Crap Trucks. Just Had My 6.7 Cummins Just Bought Back 3 Weeks Ago From Chrysler Under Texas Lemon Law(thank God) It Was A Nightmare. I Kick My Self In The Ass For Trading In My 06 5.9 Drw 4x4 On The 6.7....but One Day I Will Have A 5.9 Again After My House Is Done, Rebiult(hurricane Ike).....the Wife Will Get A Fj Cruiser And I Will Get A 5.9 Again......rob If You Are Out There, Hello My Friend!!!!!

11. danoren

danoren Active Member

Media:
    Can you be more specific regarding "New Emmisions Crap Trucks"
    Thank you all for the advise.

12. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

Basically 2007.5 and newer trucks, steer clear of them. They all have diesel particulate filters in the exhaust and more electronics and sensors that like to malfunction or really put a hurtin on the way your truck performs. It is all meant to clean up the smoke coming out of the tail pipe it seems to be causing a lot of issues. This too could be a contributing factor to the slump the auto makers are in. More and more guys who know something about pickups and especially wrench on their own rig do not want a new one...