Tire Opinions

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by Lawdog, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Lawdog

Lawdog Member

Media:
    I am looking for new tires for my 2006 Mega Cab 4x4. I need them for winter tires when we pull our 40' Gooseneck Race Trailer. I am open to suggestions on a few different brands. I know I want 265/70R17 or maybe 285/70R17. MUST be Load range "E". I wanted Michelin LTX M/S but not avail in size and load needed. We run all over Michigan and this winter we want to run the National Sno-Cross Circuit, so it could be a lot of trips to MN and WI as well. I run BFG AT-KO 315/70-17 in summer for the looks. The truck likes the stockers for pulling the trailer.. Prob 8500-10,000 lbs of trailer. Anyone tried the Grabber HTS... Tire rack shows it rated #1.. I had Michelin LTX A/S on it stock, but my dad needed tires for his new 3500 CTD so I gave them to him since they were just sitting in the shed for the summer.

1: BF Goodrich All Terain KO
    2: General Grabber HTS
    3: Michelin LTX A/T2
    4: Toyo Open Country A/T

Pics of Truck and trailer and My 14 yr old daughter....

Attached Files:

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    You don't like the BFG AT's during the winter?

3. Lawdog

Lawdog Member

Media:
    I have not used the BFG's in the winter with the trailer. I used 315 BFG's on a prior truck with a small tag trailer and they were fine, With the big trailer, the 315's are a little too hard on the gear and too fast to run the speed it likes to run rpm range......Plus the 315's are load "D" so WAY too much squiggle..........

4. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

Michelin makes the LTX A/S in your size. I may be putting a set of those ( 265/70)'s on in place of the 235/80 's I currently have on the dually.

5. Lawdog

Lawdog Member

Media:
    I had the Michelin LTX A/S on it from the factory. the work good, but I want better snow traction since I normally just run the 265's in the winter to tow the trailer. I decided I am going to go with the LTX AT2

6. purplehavoc

purplehavoc New Member

I would go for the BF A/T's.Good all round tire,but do well on the snow and handle pulling well.
    I run them on 2 trucks for plowing and hauling.Had just under 100,000 KM on the set of BF A/Ts i just replaced on my ford,with of course another set.

7. mattwehrly

mattwehrly Active Member

I am currently running the goodyear duratrac in a 265/70/17. So far really like them. I have about 10k miles on them and they seem to be holding up well. They stick to the icy colorado roads good and do ok on the muddy back roads. I would buy them again and they are priced well. I paid about $180 each from discount tires.

8. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Member

http://www.consumersearch.com/suv-tires/michelin-ltx-at2

$159 which is much cheaper than my tires. I liked the reviews of the a/s which they got far more miles than my m/s tires are going to get. :mad:

9. RCTerry

RCTerry New Member

Any suggestion for better traction on a wet boat ramp? 10,000 lb load. 2007 Ram 2500 two wheel drive. Generally short distance towing though some long distance with 7000 lb travel trailer.

10. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

^^^ Yes. Trade for a 4 wheel drive truck.

11. RCTerry

RCTerry New Member

That's an obvious option, but overkill. The boat stays in the water and only gets pulled once or twice a year. In 7 years I needed assistance once and in that incident a Toyota with tow strap was enough to get me over a hump in the ramp. I will keep my eyes open for a 4x4. I like the security of that, but my truck does everything else I need.