19.5" tires on a Ram3500

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by Keith, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Keith

Keith Member

I am studying the question of what kind of RV-hauler to get. I was told by a big Dodge dealership that a Ram 3500 (DRW) can have a GCVR of 25,400# which is only 600# short of what you get with the 4500.
    It is lighter than the 4500, however, which means that there is slightly more towing capacity with the 3500 than with the 4500.
    But I also liked the better braking that you get with the bigger tires on the 4500. It has the 225/70R19.5F tires. (The Ram 3500 comes with LT265/70R17E tires.)
    So I asked if one could buy the 3500 with 19.5" tires, and the dealer said he had never heard of it being done at the factory.
    Is there any reason *not* to drive the Ram 3500 with the 19.5 tires?
    It doesn't seem like this is an option that Dodge wants you to consider, since it is not found on their "Build yourself a truck" website.
    Keith

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. morbius

morbius New Member

Many folks on various forums are running 19.5 wheels on their 3500's. I am looking at getting them myself. Here is one place that sells the complete setup and fits the 8 lug hubs without adapters ...

http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com

Hope that helps.

3. Keith

Keith Member

Thanks For your information and recommendation. It's all still new information for me. I appreciate your service.
    I was wondering what people do when they know from the beginning that they don't want the 10-ply LT tires. Do they do the upgrade and sell the original tires and wheels on EBay or Craigslist? It sounds like a lot of unwanted work to me!
    Keith

4. morbius

morbius New Member

That is pretty much it. Yes it is a lot of extra work and a pain. With all the hauling that goes on with 3500's, you think there would be a factory option for 19.5 w/8 lugs ..... Go figure.

With all the proper servicing, 35,000 miles is the best I am going to on my factory stock tires (which is right around the corner). At that point, instead of replacing the tires, I replacing it all with 245/70/19.5.

My advice, run down the tire that come with it to at least 50 percent, then swap them out. You are not going to get much for them, so use them for a while. Makes the transition cost much easier on the heart ;)

Cheers.

5. Keith

Keith Member

It seems strange that the free market wouldn't do something for us here. I picture a dealer buying the Ram3500 for you, changing out the rims and tires for an extra fee and selling you a pickup that actually meets your needs. They would get as big a mark-up as the market would allow and get a larger market share. They would then figure out how to sell all their stock rims and LT tires, selling them either to Dodge or to someone else.
    But this is an idea that is ahead of its time. I proposed it to the large dealership I've been emailing and they turned it down. They said that what I was wanting to do should be done by the "aftermarket" dealers, not the truck dealerships.
    Which proves that the buyer is not really king here after all.
    To me, the best remaining solution would be to buy a used PU without much tread left on it (say one with 30,000 miles, using your figures) and then make the change before exposing yourself to the joys of towing with 17" LT tires.

6. 2007CUMMINZ

2007CUMMINZ Well-Known Member

7. Keith

Keith Member

From your website I see that you are getting 450HP/850FPTorque
    from your 2007.5 Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie 4.10 LS 4x4 CTD 68RFE
    MP8, MBRP 5" DPF back BFT "Built For Towing" Ram.
    I am surprised by the first numbers. I thought the 6.7Liter produced either
    305 HP and 610 Foot/pounds of torque
    or
    350 HP and 650 Foot/pounds of torque.
    Your numbers are significantly out of the range of the other two.
    What does it mean that yours is a "High Output 6.7 Diesel"? Are you able to break that down for a newby? (By the way, I have only just learned what "chipping" means!)

8. kokalit

kokalit Member

He has a Smarty programmer, its listed in his signature...

9. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

I would love to run the 19.5's on my truck...just cant throw that kind of money down right now. My question is ...do the 19.5's with the higher ply tires change the ride of the truck...????????:confused:

10. hendo

hendo Active Member

i got the rims for a sw when money was available but gave in after looking at the prices of 19.5 tires in a 265/70/19.5 now that the money is not available, i have the rims for sale now (need money)never been mounted
    i do have a buddy who runs 19.5 s on his rig bumpier ride but not by much his tires say inflate to 110 psi and he only puts in 85psi which makes it a better ride and he has 30k miles on them and they show no wear what so ever

11. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

I feel your pain in the $$$$$ department right now......but one day when i hit the lottery..................;)

12. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I've had 19.5 and they are a little rougher ride but you get used to it quick. I kept them aired to 80psi. They do wear like iron when compared to lt tires. I just don't haul heavy anymore so didn't need the weight rating. There are cheaper ways of finding 19.5s If you search craiglist long enough you can find some from a bread truck that just need to have the center machined a little bigger to fit the dodge trucks.