6.0 Performance upgrades

Discussion in 'GM Gas Engine Rigs' started by kazzx, Mar 12, 2009.

1. kazzx

kazzx Member

I have heard from a few people that aftermarket CAI's are pointless for these engines. I have also heard that a TB Spacer, CAI, and Programmer is essential. Ive alway put CAI's on all of my vehicles (with results), have never been sold on TB spacers, and never put a programmer on anything. Insight on those who have?

2. Seminoles

Seminoles Member

Media:
    I put a CAI on one and did notice a difference in performance just because it replaced a round snorkel breather under the hood but gas millage sucked because my foot was always in it to hear that sweet intake roar. I read somewhere they did a Dino test on a LS1 with no difference between stock other then intake roar so now I just use a K&N drop in filter and remove the baffles in the air box or cut holes towards the outside of the body. I did use dryer duct and PVC pipe on a Buick once to the box. As for a TB spacer I can see using one with groves in and old engine more so with a carburetor to swirl the air/fuel mixture into the cylinder but with SFI, TSFI and injectors right at the valves and building the swirl into the intake/heads now really see no need at that price just for a plate of aluminum with holes machined into it. For a programmer a definet yes remimber the factory still has to meet the mans requimerts but they are getting better at it it will help not as much as an older disel just remember to set it back to stock when going though inspection in those states that still do it. If I could have found a 2500 Suburban when I needed it I would have a 6.0 or 8.1 instead of a Tahoe with 5.3 but it gets the job done. This is just my opion hate to see people waste money so go out and have fun, enjoy...

3. Mr. G

Mr. G New Member

I used the Diablo Predator on my 6.0 with good results. I first did the 91 octane setting and noticed a slight improvement. THEN I removed the torque management and noticed a larger improvement. I think the stock intake and exhaust are pretty good already so if I go any further it will be a super charger.

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 Active Member

Not all of the handheld programmers offer TCM (tranny) support/ control (don't believe what the companies say, it varies by manufacturer/ model/ year, do the research on your own), and the biggest improvement in drivability in the newer vehicles come from cleaning up the shifts and reprogramming the torque control.

Best way to program is to find someone with a laptop and the software to reprogram everything, exactly the way you want. Should be less than or very close to the price of a handheld programmer.

Everything else is going to result in far smaller gains for your money.

Program it, then add the other stuff if you feel you need it.

5. SkilletHead

SkilletHead New Member

Older thread...but what does removing torque management do for you in regard to power or driveability/towing?

I've got a stock 07 K 2500HD with 6.0 gas engine

6. Mr. G

Mr. G New Member

Not sure of the differences between the 04 I had and your 07 but when I got rid of the TM I noticed a gain that I would describe as a gain of around 10% or more. It seemed before that the 6 liter chevy was not very impressive but after it was a different story. Later I added the performance tune from Diablosport Predator and it was another gain but at the expense of MPG.

7. SkilletHead

SkilletHead New Member

Ok thanks..

I'm new to the board and I've been surfing around. I pull a metal deck car hauler type trailer approx weight 2K or more (10.4K rated total GVW) and haul my old land cruiser that weighs about 6K. So I think I'm dancing around 9K in towed weight (one day I'll get it weighed).

Anyway my truck has 3.73 gears. Truck pulls this nice and I did not have to break the bank on an oil burner. I have noticed that at times when I'm on a steep grade and going rather slow... it could use more torque but I think its quite impressive for a 6.0 gas engine. Yeah you have to let it rev and it does that, and also wants to rev too...when in tow haul mode.

Truck is the new body style (Lt in my case). I've not done anything to the truck so far (owned less than a year now, 2nd owner) and I doubt I'll make any real moods to it. Is has the 6 speed auto trans which is nice.

I make check out one of the tuners. I had a tuner on my 01 Suburban with 8.1 engine and it made a good bit of difference on the low end torque, and really did not impact milage to much extent.

8. Mr. G

Mr. G New Member

Yea the Chevy 6.0 is a good motor. I also have a Ford 6.0 diesel and it is a better tow motor but not by that much really. Of coursed I do have to worry about it breaking.......................................................