Well beotches...is it time for a CK5 takeover?

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by tRustyK5, Sep 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

What do you do at your job?

What does this mean? :dunno:

2. Greg72

Greg72 Well-Known Member

Albums:

Think: drunk posts by Zim..... That's the short version of the strory. :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    max 02 likes this.
  3. campfire

I'm also not gushing over it. My internet service is on the slow side here in da woods, and this site takes noticeably longer to load than the old one did. It seems less capable (which surprised me, given the age of the old software). I miss knowing who is reading each thread. Posts blend together (perhaps changing up the background colors would help differentiate). I miss seeing 100 posts at a time, and quoting seems slow and cumbersome. Where is the good-old-fashioned single quote button?

It definitely feels too much like facebook. Why bother hosting the site if a free facebook page would give pretty much the same features? :dunno:

4. Greg72

Greg72 Well-Known Member

Albums:

"Reply" is the new single quote button....

That's what I just did here, anyway.

-G

5. campfire

Wait...bonfire is on the 17th? I thought it was gonna be on the 30th. Hmm.... :thinking:

Lower Michigan seems determined to foil my every effort to visit. Grrr.

6. Deuling

Deuling Well-Known Member

Holy padfest Zim.

You focking dinosaur :eek:

7. campfire

Don't have my pictures available at the moment (all pictures here are stock), but I saw two interesting things in recent treks across da U.P. Coming into Marquette on M-553, I found my first Yooper Michigan Left. Michigan Lefts, for those outside the area, are Lower Michigan's way of getting revenge on visitors while simultaneously applying extra damage to their already crummy roads. Instead of turning left at an intersection, folks are directed to turn right, cut across all lanes of traffic, enter the median, wait for an opportunity to pull a U-turn (while sticking back into traffic and potentially obstructing the traffic flow in that unrelated direction), before reentering the intersection and getting stuck at the same red light a second time.

It can look like this (right turn first):

[​IMG]

or like this (right turn last):

[​IMG]

Some of these intersections get downright elaborate, with numerous special lanes added just for this purpose:

[​IMG]

Instructional signs are only kinda useful in this regard, as they often aren't present, and can be hard to see when they are.
    [​IMG]

This picture of the intersection in Marquette illustrates the problem. The sign is small, and, being placed in the median across the intersection, not particularly visible until you're at the front of the line for the red light. If while approaching you chose the normal lane for making left turns (hint to Michiganders: most people across the globe use the left lane for left turns), you are now stuck going straight.

[​IMG]

Finding this intersection in Marquette is significant because I had thought that this madness was limited to Lower Michigan only. Now I know there is at least one such intersection up here in my half of Michigan. Evidently there are several of them up here, I just haven't noticed them yet. At this location, I've been through this intersection several times, but I didn't see the Michigan Left until I came through it from the affected direction (it's just the traffic coming off of 553 that does the Michigan Left).

These intersection layouts have many supporters, and are supposed to decrease traffic wait times (not completely convinced, as I can see both up- and down-sides). The state has this on their website:

Not sure I believe this, either, as it strongly conflicts with my anecdotal experiences. But I have come to accept them as one of Michigan's weirder quirks, and I trust that they will be around for the foreseeable future.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9615_44557-161777--,00.html
    http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/michigan_left.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left

And I'll end this story with an applicable funny:

[​IMG]

:rofl:

8. campfire

Ok. But with how that feature is structured, I can't review the thread while I'm posting (used to have the recent posts down below the text box.

I'm still getting email notifications, even when I thought I had disabled them. But only when I'm logged in. I got nothing from Dave's PADfest last night. :dunno:

I haven't found anything comparable to my subscriptions page, either. Is there a way to set up different types of notifications for the different threads (like we had before)? Some threads (like my own) I follow more closely than others.

9. campfire

Yep. You're definitely losing the padding contest. :p

10. Greg72

Greg72 Well-Known Member

Albums:

One of the things I've noticed (this forum software seems to be VERY similar to the version used on the IH8MUD forums) is that you get ONE email notification from the server when a subscribed thread is updated. It doesn't hammer your inbox with a new message for EACH new post. I think the idea is to give you a single email (and hyperlink) to the thread that brings you to the first unread message.... if more posts have happened, you'll see them all when you scroll down.

My personal preference for 99% of the threads I subscribe to, is to get a DAILY update notification. With this software I think you only get TWO options: Subscribe and receive email notifications incessantly.... or subscribe but NEVER get email notifications. With option 2, you would have to seek out the new updates yourself by looking at your own "Subscribed Threads" summary list or something similar. I never used CK5 that way, but I may have to learn..... ain't NO way I'm going to want 1700+ email updates showing up on a daily basis in my inbox!!!!

-G

11. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Active Member

Yah it's annoying. Even though I turned off the email notifications I got 70 emails from Zina Padfest last night.

12. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Active Member

Who wants to start the petition? Bring back the old ck5!!!!

13. campfire

I like the daily updates as well. I had forgotten about the single email thing (think that was the same, I just didn't use that feature). That does explain why I didn't get any additional messages once logged out for the evening.

I unchecked the "and receive email notifications" box this morning. Email account is now quiet. Fine for most of my threads, but I'd still like to have daily updates from a few threads.

14. Greg72

Greg72 Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Impromptu "Might As Well" Build update......

With the new PS Header installed I decided to re-install the wheels up front, and reattach the upper strut bolt just to check to see what sort of ACTUAL clearance I would have around the inside tire sidewall...

[​IMG]

There was a little bit of room left at full-lock right turns.....

[​IMG]

I'd say about a "finger's width"!!! :)

[​IMG]

Since this entire header build was being done at "full stuff" for clearance-checking purposes... it seemed like it would be fun to throw some N2 in the ORIs and get the front end up closer to ride height just for comparison's sake:

[​IMG]

Obviously, there's nothing to worry about from a clearance perspective! I like that the headers will be completely visible when people peek into the front wheelwells..... I think that's a cool look, and one of those subtle clues that there's a WHOLE lot more going on with this truck than what first meets the eye!!!!

-G

15. campfire

IDK. This software could be fine, with some useful tweaks. I was surprised that Steve took the site down for the migration. I had thought he was planning to bring ck5.com online before he took coloradok5.com down (seamless transition). And then move threads over after the new site was running and stable.

16. Greg72

Greg72 Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I'm sure this new forum software has plenty of "hacks" available to add functionality, features or just restore options that people liked in the old CK5.....

Let's give Steve the benefit of the doubt and let him get the new forums up and running in a stable way.... I'm sure he will be soliciting feedback from everyone and will do a lot of "tweaking" in the first few months to get everything dialed-in perfectly.

-G

campfire likes this.
  17. Stein

Stein New Member

Company just announced that we are getting new phones and I have to decide TODAY what I want.

I have a Galaxy S4 now. Choices are:

Samsung Galaxy S6 SKU SMG920VZKA

Motorola DROID Turbo SKU MOTXT1254BN

Apple iPhone 5s SKU ME341LL/A

Apple iPhone 6 SKU MG5W2LL/A

Kyocera Brigadier SKU KYOE6782

Pretty sure Apple is out. I don't drink the koolaid. What say the current tech people? I don't know anything about the Motorola or Kyocera. I'm comfortable with the S4 so the S6 would be an easier switch. Unless someone has a compelling reason to look at one of the others above I guess that decision is easy.

18. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Holy crap guys... lol

Things are moving along but taking forever, looks like Friday.

I haven't had time to set up permissions etc. on towrig.com after I upgraded it so that's why the signatures are not enabled, no smileys etc.

I kept thinking the last million or so threads that I was importing were probably pad posts. Lol

...Oh and pad

campfire likes this.
  19. Greg72

Greg72 Well-Known Member

Albums:

I can't even imagine the amount of work it takes to migrate not only the posts, but all the other metadata (Post counts, Total Thread Views, subscription preferences, etc) that goes along with a move like this.

Please just reassure me (us) that you will eventually get the 100-posts-per-page option working on the new software!!!! :deal:

-G

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  20. xXFumesXx

xXFumesXx Well-Known Member

Awesome boss! Keep up the good work..

campfire likes this.