Is your tow rig a 2wd or 4x4?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by Divorced, Jan 30, 2006.

?

My tow rig is:

1. 2wd with single rear wheels

13.2%
  2. 2wd with dual rear wheels

10.8%
  3. 4x4 with single rear wheels

50.8%
  4. 4x4 with dual rear wheels

23.4%
  5. I don't have a tow rig.

1.8%
  1. Divorced

Divorced Well-Known Member

If you have a 2wd, do you wish you had a 4x4 instead?

If you have a 4x4, do you wish you had a 2wd instead?

Are you happy with/without dual rear wheels?

2. RustyJC

RustyJC Well-Known Member

See my signature. This is my 2nd 2WD dually, and I'm absolutely satisfied with the configuration. In addition to lower cost, the 2WD (as opposed to 4WD) has a less troublesome front suspension (no DW), lower ride height (for stability, fuel economy, ease of entry/exit, no bedrail clearance problems with the 5th wheel), no transfer case or front differential/axles to maintain or fail, etc.

Oh, by the way, no, I've never been stuck, and yes, I lived in Ohio when I bought my first 2WD dually. ;)

Rusty

3. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    I have 4x4. I got what I wanted, and that has not changed. My 4x4 has well over 1000 miles in 4x4, much of which would not have been passable by ANY 2x4 and I have even passed a number of 4x4s that couldn't hang in...

4. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    4x4 for me. I could not justify having all of this power and not being able to use it when the ground is anything but dry pavement. I had a 2wd before this truck when I lived in California and i got stuck more than a few times. I love my 4x4 and will not own another 2wd.

5. wheelin66bronco

wheelin66bronco Well-Known Member

When we first got our Dually I wan't quite sure if it was worth it or not (even though we paid the same as a SRW)
    Now after well over half the truck miles 36K as towing, I would never go back to SRW on a tow rig. Work, persoal, weekend, toy etc. fine but Hands down I really like the dually for towing, much more stable.

We tow a 30ft gooseneck horse trailer and a 14K 20ft hay trailer all the time, well worth it for loads that heavy.

6. wheelin66bronco

wheelin66bronco Well-Known Member

I forgot the 2wd vs 4wd part.
    Why again would you buy a 2wd???
    Only takes being stuck once to wish you had 4wd.

7. Subdriver

Subdriver Well-Known Member

4x4 Ford F350 Crew Cab Long Bed with SRW here. My truck has to do double duty as my Vette tow rig, and my daily driver, so while I'd rather have the DRW for towing, I'm happy not to have the extra width for daily driving.

Haven't had too much use for 4x4 yet, but did need it in the snow in Memphis last winter, and at a race where the paddock wasn't much more than a swamp after a huge rainstorm.

8. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

my $10 tow hooks where cheaper than 4wd.
    plus 2wd keeps me from ****ing with the suspension.

9. BadDog

Media:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start an arguement, but I've never understood that sentiment. Lots of people seem to feel that way, so I guess I'm the odd man out, but I figure whatever I am "building" is being built for a purpose or specific set of goals. Don't get me wrong, multi-use if fine as long as various goals don't conflict beyond what you're willing to compromise. Let me explain what I'm talking about …

For instance, for my current truck I set my goals as being a (DD + family road trip + towing + hauling + camping + fast/fun + fuel economy + range). Though there is a certain tension between all those things that keeps it balanced and suitable for my needs (i.e. fast and fun with 1/4 mile slips doesn't trump DD, etc.), my 2500HD generally addresses them all very well in 2WD or 4WD config.

BUT then I also have a *secondary* goal of capability for the occasional "problems" encountered while pursuing one of my primary goals, such as ice/snow, wet camp sites, or washed out fire trails. That warrants the 4x4 just as other goals warranted the DMax/Alli, Crew Cab, or whatever... The "off-road" or "rough terrain" goal is secondary to the primary goals, so it would never take precedence resulting in significantly negative impact to a primary goal. Since lifting a vehicle is a SEVERE compromise on most of the primary goals, I have absolutely no inclination what-so-ever to lift or run big tires. I don't need an artificial restraint like "I bought a 2WD so I wouldn't mess with the suspension" to keep me from compromising my primary goals beyond what I'm willing to sacrifice. But if somewhere along the way I change my ideals/goals/tolerances, then choosing 2WD as a "self control" mechanism just became a huge liability AND just to make things worse, I lost the added capabilities within my current goals as well.

If I want serious off-road capability, I'll take my 1-ton K5, or to go further still, I'll take my truggy (if I ever get off my behind and fix it). I'm not willing to make the compromises to get that in my main rig...

10. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

because i am young and stupid...... my 2wd used truck wwas far cheaper than a 4wd in the same shape...... for me buying a truck in cash that was good. bought anotehr 2wd dually diesel saturday, but that was under $1500. if it was a 4wd, it would have doubled the price. and made what i want to do to the truck unafordable since i want to fix it(engine), and sell it for $4g with little to no investment other than my initital $1500.

'if it was 4wd i would be tempted to do stupid stuff liek this to it and end up with it looking like my other junk. beat up and upside down
    [​IMG]

11. BadDog

Media:
    Good point on the price when going for used. But the point flips when buying new since a 4x4 (as long as you don't do it like your pic :eek: ;) ) will be easier to sell for much better money when it is time to move on. Maybe not enough to cover what the 4x4 package costs up front, but it sure makes that "opportunity cost" a lot easier to cover.

As for "young and stupid", I was there once upon a long time ago… Now I'm just "old and stupid", somehow missed the off-ramp to "wise" along the way… :D Actually, knowing your limitations (or lack of control as the case may be) and taking steps to neutralize or capitalize on it is a huge step on the way to "not stupid". So in that respect, going 2WD may very well be "wise" in some cases. <shrug> Each to their own…

12. Divorced

Divorced Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like the 4x4 SRW trucks are the most popular. When I think of a tow rig, I usually picture a SRW 4x4, so that's why I was wondering.

I have a small gas motor and a weak auto transmission, so sometimes I will use the "Lo" range of the t-case for backing up steep hills or pulling the boat up a steep boat ramp, it just seems easier on my little stuff. ;)

13. black jimmy

black jimmy Well-Known Member

I bought a 2wd dually for the simple fact of it was only $1400 and I was able to pay cash for it. This truck is probably going to get beaten considering I am getting started on my new house and it will be used for hauling materials instead of my Jimmy for a while. It will get some TLC after the house is done.:)

14. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Member

06 cummins 2 wheel drive, love the power and the better mileage than my last 4x4 diesel, and better power, if i want to go off road i have 2 quads that are a lot of fun. I live just below Alaska so im on icy snowy roads all winter, with the studded snow and mud coopers, this truck holds the road like a tank, im impressed, and got 25.9 mpg with only 3000 miles on her so far, on snowy roads doing around 60, thats the best so far, get around 22 to 23 when going around 70, anyways best thing ive done in years. cheers

15. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

I've got both... 2wd drw, and 4wd srw. The 4wd srw runs, so it gets the vote here.

I've pulled heavier loads with my 1/2 ton burb than I ever did with my 1ton, and I really like it better. I could easily get the dually running again, but I just don't need it.

My next rig will definitely be 4 door, 4wd, and drw. most likely diesel....

16. stump_puller

stump_puller Member

Mine is 2wd and a gas engine. If I had it my way I would want a 4x4 but most important it would have to be a diesel.

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    mine is 2wd single. i traded in a 4x4 dually. wish i had dually, but am glad its 2wd. higher sticker weight rating, less maintenance required, less messing with lifts and it gets better mileage. rides a lil tiny bit better as well. this truck will get duallied out some day.
    Grant

18. stallion85

stallion85 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Do these trucks even come in 2WD, I didn't know that was an option:pimp: :stir:

I have 4WD, I like it cuz I do a lot of outdoors stuff with the family and I am in the mountains a lot. You need 4WD or you park on the street and walk through the mountains, which is a lot more work:doah:

Plus, 2WD sit too low for my tastewaytogo

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  19. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Me too, you can get these trucks WITHOUT 4wd?:D :D :popcorn:

We have 3 duallys and 2 single wheels...and all of ours run, operate, and are used for their intended purposes. Not lawn ornaments.:stir: :D

We have 1 Ram Cummins dually 4x4
    one 3/4 Ram Cummins SRW (my truck)
    1998 Chevy C30 dually
    1976 C30 dually
    1998 1/2 burb SRW

Our late model Chevy dually and Ram dually are more stable than my 3/4 SRW.

20. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    4wd SRW for me. I could have gotten by with a 2wd truck, but after pulling burnedbronco's 2wd truck out of an icy parking lot, i decided to get a 4wd.