Towing w/ 4.6L

Discussion in 'Ford Gas Engine Rigs' started by 97SuperCab, Feb 9, 2006.

1. 97SuperCab

97SuperCab Member

New to the board, been lurking around a few weeks. Sorry for the lengthy post, I acknowledge that I can be a bit wordy at times.

I periodically tow my Jeep YJ on a trailer (5,000 lbs est) w/ my 97 F150, 4x2, 4.6L, Auto, 3.55, stock except for K&N filter & Bosch Platinum +4 plugs.

The truck does OK in the handling department with that load but really lacks the oomph to hold OD, even on flat ground. I'm thinking of swapping to 4.10s in the rear, but am concerned that I still won't be able to hold OD. My tires are about 5% oversized, but will never get bigger and probably go back to stock size whenever these wear out.

Currently, it does fine at 70mph in 3rd, but at 8-9 mpg it gets kind of painful. Once, I was able to hold OD for most of a trip and got about 12 mpg (33% improvement!) but had to be really flexible with speed (50 - 65mph) on a Kansas interstate! Even on the slightest of grades it would want to kick down to 3rd if I tried to maintain a constant speed.

Since I'm turning about 2,200 rpm at 70 mph w/ OD, I'm guessing that I'd be around 2,450 rpm at 70 w/ OD after the new gears. I'm not sure this is enough engine speed to hold OD.

Any thoughts? Any other thoughts on low-end power improvements? I've considered a cat-back exhaust, even a new mid-pipe. I tried a Superchips programmer, but it sucked so I took it back.

Thanks,
    Tommy

2. J. Delaney

J. Delaney Well-Known Member

Get a bigger truck.rotfl

3. 97SuperCab

97SuperCab Member

You're an idiot. Do you think I couldn't come to that conclusion myself? Obviously comedy doesn't pay your bills, because that was pretty weak. If I could get a bigger truck, I probably would've done so by now. Sometimes other needs like feeding my family, paying for grad school, saving for retirement, and making house payments take precedent over simple wants like more towing power. This is the truck that I have, so this is the truck that I'll work with.

Does anyone have something constructive to add?

4. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Try to use synthetic oil,transmission fluid and diff fluid the ability to handle the extra heat wear and tear will help and up grading to full synthetic oil gave me better gas mileage.
    Regearing might be the best option for you but adding headers,smog legal if need be,and going after cat might make a great improvement.
    Also install a trans temp guage!!!!

5. 97SuperCab

97SuperCab Member

Thanks. I had thought about synthetic before, but just haven't done it. I think I will try that on my next oil change. I have a LS in the diff, so do you think synthetic will work in that? I know it takes a friction modifier additive, and I wonder how that affects synthetic lube?

I'm thinking of trying some exhaust mods, such as a full exhaust. I've heard of a few people actually losing low-end torque with exhaust mods, so I'm a little nervous about doing that.

I can do the gears pretty cheap, because several members of our jeep club know how to setup gears.

6. J. Delaney

You could spend thousands trying to make your 1/2 ton do the work of a larger truck more effeciently. If you find a way to upgrade the hp of your truck, the trans, diff, and brakes are still going to be inadequate. Unless your truck is an odball, it has a 4R70W transmission in it. That belongs in a car, not a truck! You also more than likely have an 8.8" rear end which is not really designed to be in a truck! Explorer or Ranger, yes. But not in a full size! Sorry bro! I didn't mean to offend. I was just offering up my honest opinion.

7. 97SuperCab

97SuperCab Member

That's OK. So many times on forums you get very one-sided opinions, typically from people think their way is the only way. That's what I figured yours was. I'm over it.

I agree that the truck's hardware isn't the ultimate and not up to the task of true heavy duty hauling on a regular basis. However, I only tow 6-8 times a year for a few hundred miles each time. The rest of the time it hauls me to work so I think it will be fine. I'm not going to pump the power up very dramatically, because then it would be much cheaper to get rid of it a buy something bigger. However, I'm sure 10-15% more power won't grenade the whole deal.

The axle is actually fairly strong, although not by heavy duty standards. In my jeep club, there are several people who have swapped in 8.8" and run 35"+ tires w/ lockers without shelling them. I'm sure it will hold up to my demands.

Unfortunately, the difference between what my truck is worth, and what it would cost to replace it with something better in similar condition (74k, mechanically perfect) is a bit out of my grasp. I can afford $1k or so for upgrades, but not the $5-10K for a different truck.

8. J. Delaney

You can build an 8.8 to be very strong, but stock they aren't that stout. Have you looked into upgrading to a 94.5-97 F-250 PSD? I would think they would be reasonably priced plus get better fuel economy than the truck you currently have.

9. 97SuperCab

97SuperCab Member

I have looked into those. I'm not really sure that I want a diesel. I don't know enough about them to know a bad one from a good one. The one thing that I always think of is that the very large majority of diesel powered heavy equipment use inline engines. It seems contrary to me to use a v-8 configuration. There probably isn't a big enough difference to be an issue for our type of use, but I have a real hard time justifying making payments on a truck that already has 150k on it.

I don't like look of the pre-97 Fords. To be honest, I've always been partial to Chevy. But, I drive what I can afford for now.

Edit - I just found a '94 GMC 3500 w/ 6.5L diesel and 5spd, 175k miles for $5,500. For that kind of $$ I can almost justify buying something different...assuming it's not worn out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  10. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Simple solution, slow down and leave it in 3rd. Your trans will thank you, and mileage wont be to horid. For as little as you are towing, i would think that keeping speeds at 60 or so and just leaving it in 3rd would be manageable a few times a year. If you want to get to the same location at the same time, just leave the house a bit earlier. Neither that motor or trans likes towing any kind of a load in overdrive, as the motor doesnt have the bottom end for it and the trans just plain isnt strong enough. IIRC, ford even states to leave it out of overdrive when towing, and for a reason.

11. 97SuperCab

97SuperCab Member

This is very true. I've even tried that logic with myself, but to little avail. I even figured out that in order to arrive at our favorite location at the same time, I'd only have to leave about 25 minutes earlier than them. I'm just not a very patient person.

12. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I say do the gears. If you can do it on the cheap then what do you have to lose?? Since your only 2wd that saves you half of the cost by only needing to do the rear. If it is still not enough gear then drop back down to smaller tires. However your tradeoff will be lower MPGs empty on the freeway.

PM Bobby (RJFs Red Cummins) about the synthetic oil. He is an Amsoil dealer and could hook you up with exactly what you need. He is also very knowledgable about what oil to put in your truck.

13. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Nope just add the clutch pack lube in before or after depends on how you want to do it and find a dirt field or wet parking lot and do some figure eights,at low speeds but with some speed to get the rear end slipping.Also some dopes come with the ls adative already in it.As for the advice on switching to a diesel if you like a gas engine stick with it if you like it.I used a stock 8.8 in a 95 F150 to haul my bronco with a few times it did well I just took it easy and took my time.Also did you think about an cam for your engine I belive an rv cam would work wonders for your application?

14. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

I had a 1985 Suburban 1/2 ton. 350, 700R4, 10 bolt axles with 3.42 gears, 36 inch tires. OD was worthless unless you were going 80MPH. Put 4.88 gears in it. Towed probably about the same weight as you and had to tow in 3rd. Went 200K miles before I sold it. Had to put a trans. in it at about 180K. I had the biggest B&M trans. cooler Summit Racing had. I had headers, K&N, high flow CAT, Flowmaster exhaust. Converted to fuel injection. I think your best bet is to just cruise 55mph.

15. 97SuperCab

97SuperCab Member

Yeah, I'm slowing coming to the realization that I just need to live with it. I know what I have right now, which is a very good truck, just a little underpowered. If I get something else, I'm going to be starting all over again with something I know nothing about. It doesn't matter where you buy a used car from, they are still used. Somebody is selling them for a reason.

I'm still holding out hope, but am too busy at work, school and home to really spend much time worrying about it. In six months or less I won't have anymore debt other than the house payment, so I should just stick with the current path.

Thanks for all the advice!

16. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    That is the best Idea I have heard in a long time. You will be suprised how much money you will have when you are debt free.waytogo