used duramax/ally vs new dodge? what to do???

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by Tom Seeley, Mar 27, 2005.

1. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    BadDog you may be right yourself, I dont know for sure will all the he say she say crap everywhere. I do know that all of these trucks Ford, GM, Dodge are way overpriced from the jump. for the amount of money we spend on these rigs we should have a warranty of 200,000 miles at least!!! Well actually gm did increase thier injector warrenty to 2000,000 didnt they

2. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Now that I can agree with completely.

BTW, I do have 200k miles on the injectors and 100k on the DMax.

3. KSears

KSears New Member

I agree, probably can't get the Dodge for that price,maybe an ST ,no power equip,etc,,,go with your heart

4. Beeram305

Beeram305 Well-Known Member

Gee, our piece of crap Dodge :rolleyes: has 37k and has been taken up to where we ride our ATV's only about 50 times. The road up to the trails are all tiny washboards and the trucks buck like crazy on the road. Our 97 sub. and 96 tahoe squeak and rattle to no end on that road, but not a peep out of the ram.

I also heard that the Allison was not a 'true' Allison. :stir:

5. KSears

KSears New Member

duramax vs cummins

really no comparison, cummins have logged billions of miles in all types of trucks and other vehicles ,are tried and true, respected and requested by everyone who wants longevity and dependability , I have had 6 Dodges in my life , 3 were diesels and of them ,never had a problem mechanically, my 90 w-250 had well over 250000 miles on it ,still run like a top when I parted with it, still had original clutch, and is on it's next life with body restored lookin good by new owner,, gm'sare overpriced and over estimated, the duramax seems ok, never had one ,never will, as long as Dodge and Cummins partner in trucks ,I don't think you can find a better all around truck last will lastone heck of a long time

6. budkole

Media:
    FORD 7.3 PSD all day long and twice on Sundayswaytogo

7. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Sorry man, this is not true.GM would not be so proud and brag about thier tranny if it were not a true Allison. That be like saying the Cummins in your dodge isnt a true Cummins.

8. budkole

Media:
    Yep, the allison in the GM is real. I can remember when the the new dmax came out, someone on either the ford or dodge forum website started posting that rumor just to try to convince themself that thier current truck, ford or dodge, was better than the dmax/ally combo. You know how people are:doah: But anyways, its a true allison.waytogo

but.....this is true, the ford torqeshift is a "knockoff of the allison" almost a carbon copy!

9. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    i think you're forgeting about all those izusu box trucks that are always driving around... those are duramax motore pretty much. and those have been around for a long time.

10. DMAXRIG

GM's are not the only trucks overpriced, all of em are way overpriced!!!

11. budkole

Media:
    you got that right bro!

12. Mikes06_Ram3500

Mikes06_Ram3500 Member

My experience: never, EVER, buy a used diesel pickup. The prices on used are so close to new that you'll spend MORE in the long run fixing what the previous owner broke.

The Dodge is a better truck than the GM. Sorry folks. My wife's '00 Silverado had SO MANY issues when we traded it on the new Ram diesel that it wasn't funny. Plastic parts were rotting apart... tailgate trim fell off in my hand... seats were GONE after less than 6 years and we're NOT heavy people... and I suspect coolant leaking into the oil. Carpet faded significantly.

My advice. Get the Dodge, with warranty. You won't regret having a brand new Ram diesel with full warranty.

Check out Lou Fusz Dodge in St. Louis. They gave me a hell of a deal. $11,000 off MSRP, if I recall, through some special deals. Maybe they can give you a similar deal... tell them Mike Lewis sent you--I'm a satisfied customer. Salesman was Bill Miller.

I would have walked out the door with a very nicely equipped Ram 3500 SLT, six speed, Cummins, extra airbags, power seat, seat storage, folding seats, and some other options for about $32k before tax. They were about $4000 less than the best deal my local dealer would give me.

I added the $2000 nav system and the jake brake to the truck for another $1700 or so. Got more equipment than I'd planned for at about the price I wanted to pay. The other 2 manufacturers couldn't even come close.

Mike

13. DMAXRIG

Ive had just the opposite experience actually. I recommend buying a truck 2 years older. SOOOOOO much cheaper than brand new. When you buy a brand new truck, the value drops as soon as you drive it off the lot. If you can afford a new one, go for it, but there is nothing wrong with buying used.

14. Mikes06_Ram3500

Mikes06_Ram3500 Member

My experience has been quite the opposite. I priced a used F-350, 99 model, in 2002. Dealer wanted $24k. I worked them down to $20k. The truck was an XLT, manual transmission, 2 wheel drive. Out of bumper-to-bumper warranty, 60,000 miles, and an unknown history.

If a fellow can find a good used truck for a reasonable price, more power to him. But look at the complexity of these trucks and think about the real cost of ownership, used vs new, if you're no longer covered by warranty. If you're in the right market, perhaps used trucks are a bit cheaper than I've found in the places I've been. But is a used truck purchase really worth the maintenance risk if the truck you bought wasn't treated well and starts to fail?

A lot comes down to one's philosophy. I bought new because I intend to, and will, keep my truck for 10+ years. Depreciation means little to me. Some folks can afford to buy new every 3-5 years, and I support buying used works fine for them. I don't have the time to worry about someone else's headache, and the thought of having a vehicle with a known history, a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine, plus an extended warranty if desired, means a great deal to me.

15. DMAXRIG

I hear what your saying, If you can buy new, by all means do. Im just saying buying used is not always bad. We've bought 3 used diesel pickups in the past and have had no problems. And Ironiclly, the one truck we did by new has been in the shop quit a bit, but like you've stated, thanks to warrenty it hasnt cost us a dime. Yet.

16. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I bought used, and never looked back. Got a 2 year warranty along with my purchase for almost $15K less than the first owner of my truck paid.

Another thing with used trucks is some people don't want the latest thing on the market. I wanted a Cummins that sounded like a Cummins, and wasn't a big fan of the huge front ends of the newer Rams. I wanted a good used 2nd gen sport much more than a zero mile new 3rd gen.

17. powerboatr

powerboatr Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    easy big fella :D
    i would go see ford and talk turkey, drive up in the test ride dodge i bet they will come close.
    go with the best deal for you, al lthree are going to have their issues some just more than others, dodges sheetmetal is ugly to some, gm is plushier, ford is a pulling machine but a bit rough edged.
    someday they wil get together and take th best of all three i mean two, :D :stir:

18. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Technically.... the New LBZ is the pulling machine, Dodge is the torque and racing master, and the Ford is trying to build a better motor to compete, the 6.4.:D

19. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

The 6.0 is the reason I went gas not diesel would have liked to have gotten a V10 with a 6 speed but I was running out of time and found a really great deal on a truck with 14K.I must say I'm happy with my 5.4 while I lack alot of the power a diesel flaunts my truck gets me back from point a to point b just fine with what I carry.

20. brods

brods Well-Known Member

Media:
    Tom, what did you decide?

I started shopping about a year and a half ago and just like you was looking at used GM 2000 to 2002 trucks. I quickly decided buying a used diesel is much riskier than buying a used gasser. You pay more up front and risk much more expensive repairs if the previous owner abused or neglected the truck.

Between injectors on the dmax and piston slap on the gassers I decided to go new. The GM products were too car like (can you even find a GM pickup without a center console?) and too expensive, as well as the least attractive from a styling standpoint, so I wound up with a new Dodge. I still have a soft spot for GM, but it seems they have had their head up their a$$ for the last decade or so.