Are you happy with your duramax?

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LLY)' started by adamforsythe, Feb 21, 2005.

?

Are you happy with your duramax?

1. YES

82 vote(s)
    85.4%
  2. NO

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yes, I do sometimes regret getting rid of the dmax. IMO, the 7.3 is the better of the two for aorund town/city towing. The 7.3 really shines towing a load at slow speeds and in stop and go towing in traffic. The dmax is not bad by any means, but under those conditions, the 7.3 felt stronger.

performance wise, the dmax pretty much edges the 7.3 out in every catagory except the stop and go city towing. We both know that the dmax is faster and quicker. I remember taking the same trailer up a grade in eureka, mo. in both trucks(seperate times) and the dmax seemed to handle the steeper grade a whole lot easier than the 7.3 without slowing down. There was a noticable difference. The dmax didnt seem to have to work as hard to keep speed. Actually I dont even think it downshifted!

I prefer the 7.3 because (1) I like the way it tows big loads in stop and go traffic (2) I can work on it in my sleep and no egr (3) the 7.3 motor itself is huge. 444ci. I have always felt that if an engine has more space to work it wont wear out as fast. In other words, theoretically, it would take longer for a higher displacement engine to wear out compared to a simularly powered motor with less displacfement.

Now with all that being said, I guess its 6 in one hand and a half dozen in another. Its hard to prefer one over the other.

Highway haulin-Duramax wins handsdown
    Inner city/farm haulin-7.3 Powerstroke wins handsdown

butttt........if i had to pick which performed the best overall, i will have to say the Duramax.

Im also speaking stock, fwiw,I have never owned a chipped/tuned truck

hope that helps

ps..btw, if i would have taken the time to really learn how to work on the dmax, i would not have gotten rid of it. All that new stuff kinda intemidated me somewhat. As far as the noise factor goes, the dmax is the quietest, but my 7.3 is quieter than the 6.0's i've heard, i dont know why.

2. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    Just a lil update on my former dmax. I talked with the guy who bought it from me, said he replaced 1 injector and that cleared up the smoking. Dealer lied to me big time(said injectors were fine). Anyways he got 222k strong miles on that rig NOW! :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah:

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper Member

Even though I have only ben diving mine for a few days, I am tickeled with mine.

4. duramax

duramax Active Member

love it, the best thing i bought in my life!!

5. duramax

duramax Active Member

love mine, does what i want it to do has more than enough power , so any of u guys with ford's or dodge's trade them in for D-MAX'S !!!!!

6. gjk5

gjk5 Member

Very happy. First diesel I've ever owned, not as loud, stinky or slow as I thought, and it pulls my boat like it's not even there most times.

I will be adding some mods soon, just to improve the towing @ 80MPH when it's close to 100 deg.(the only time it feels like it's struggling). Probably a mild programmer, cold air and maybe exhaust.

7. kong

kong Member

Couldn't be happier...tows like no other truck I've owned...puts my old 12 valve dodge to shame....Brian

8. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I have to say all the owners of the 6.6 seem to love em when they come in but in my area Ford and Dodge seem to be bigger players in the maket

9. RockRig

RockRig Member

I put 200k miles on a 7.3 PSD loved it, but the body was starting to rust (rockers and doors), so I decided to get a new truck. The 6.0 PSD make me nervous, so I drove the dodge and the dmax. I really thought I'd end up with a Cummings and a 6spd manual. But after driving the chevy, I was sold on the dmax/allison combo. I've only got 3k miles on my new truck, so time will tell if it's a good truck. So far I'm very happy.

10. Henryf

Henryf New Member

Dmax

Yes! the more I drive it the more I like it. Fun, Super truck.:popcorn:

11. CaliforniaK5

CaliforniaK5 Member

Media:
    I love my Dmax. waytogo

12. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

why do some people still call them cummings?? its cummins!

13. earl87gta

earl87gta Member

I love mine but wish parts for it were a little cheeper. I have to replace the fuel rails and they are expencive.

14. Timu

Timu Member

Love it!

I am having a blast with my Duramax!

15. abuen

abuen New Member

very HAPPY!!!!!!!!!

16. truckie481

truckie481 Active Member

Could not be happier unless some one else would pay for it.:pimp:

17. RodZZilla

RodZZilla Well-Known Member

If you drink enough, you will forget it is Iowa
    And the fuel.rotfl

18. toowacko

toowacko New Member

My 05 LLY has way more power then my company truck 6.0 Powerjoke.

19. GRI

GRI Well-Known Member

I dont own a dirty max but I voted for my friend who went from a 03 CTD to his 07 duracrap and the he hates it. the truck it self is nicer but the motor has less power and gets horrible mileage