TS Chips

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by NavyTech, Apr 14, 2006.

1. NavyTech

NavyTech Well-Known Member

Has anyone used one of these Chips. What has your experence been (Power and how will it Shift with my Tri/Sonax). I know about 2 years ago they were the thing to have and now DP Tuner is the more popular route. The reason I ask I am looking for a Chip and I have found a really good price on a TS. One last thing. It sure has been quite around here the last few weeks.

2. DPDIESEL

DPDIESEL Well-Known Member

Media:
    We usually use the TS or van Aaken chips. These are both very good choices.

3. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I ran a TS chip on my 99 PSD, and it was great. Never had any problems with it, and it definitely gave a much needed kick in the ass to the old girl. Agreed that DP Tuner is the best thing going these days for PSD tuning, but if the price is right, I wouldnt hesitate to go with the TS chip.

4. J. Delaney

J. Delaney Well-Known Member

I can tell you what not to use! I just hauled my 5er half way across the state of Washington with my buddy's Predator installed. That damn thing would overheat on the lowest setting even though I have a full 4" exhaust and an opened up intake! And it was gutless to boot! The Superchips worked a little better, power was about the same, but the temps were much lower (never got above 1200*, NEVER!!)

I haven't heard much (good or bad) on the TS tunes. I have heard lots of good stuff about Jody Tipton though. I should have a lot more info on the DP tunes this weekend though!!!

5. NavyTech

Thanks for the replys all. I think the biggest hold-up for me is if the shifting with my Sonnax would work well with the TS Tranny Programing. I guess the only way to be sure of this is to have DP program it in when I order it. The Power I doubt is really that much different, But as you know proper shifting means the world. So I suppose after pondering it for a week the extra $100 will be well spent with DP. J.Delaney I am waiting to hear about your DP experance.waytogo

6. J. Delaney

DO IT!!!!!! The shifting seems more crisp and the shift strategy seems to work a little better. I haven't towed with it yet, but I can almost gaurentee that the EGT's will be lower. I've spent the last month running around with a predator tuner in my truck and the power was ok (DP is a bit stronger) but the EGT was through the roof!! 650*-800* just cruising through town! DP on the 80 Econo setting is 400*-450* (120 hp is 600*). I don't think you'd regret spending the extra dough and going with DP.

The really cool thing about DP Tuner is that they customize the chip for your truck. It's not generic like the tuners are. Jody will be able to adjust the line pressure in the chip to compensate for the V.B. mods you have.

My 6.0L intercooler is on it's way, now I just gotta save my pennies for a new turbo!!

7. NavyTech

Thanks for the low down on DP. So what Turbo are you going with H2, BB, ?.

8. J. Delaney

I would love to go with an H2e because I tow a heavy 5er and spool up is not so much of an issue. But right now the budget doesn't afford either!

9. J.E.E.P.

J.E.E.P. Member

Dp tuner

I just got a dp tuner to replace my edge evo and it is awsome.
    I love the switch its so much better than having to reprogram every time.
    The install was painless and quick.

Money well spent in my opinion!!
    Later,
    Robbie

10. J. Delaney

I just bought what looks like a van turbo off of ebay. We'll have to wait and see how it looks when it gets here. but the van turbos lower egt, produce more boost, and also provide more volume of air at lower boost levels.

11. seandrisc

seandrisc Member

chips

I like the tony wildman chip It works well in my 97