ATS Ported Housing

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by NavyTech, Mar 27, 2006.

1. NavyTech

NavyTech Well-Known Member

After rebuilding my Turbo and putting on the ported housing I'll I can say is if you are expericing Surge get it. The Surge is gone and all it does is sing to me. waytogo

2. redwoody

redwoody Active Member

The mechanic is trying to sell me a ported housing for my 2000 7.3 and a new wheel to cure my turbo flutter. My question is this: would a Wicked Wheel or similar solve the problem? or do I need to go to the expense ($700) and pain to add a ported housing AND new wheel to the existing turbo? :confused: or, should I ditch this turbo and buy a new/rebuilt one? :confused: :confused:

3. J. Delaney

J. Delaney Well-Known Member

That depends. What mods have you done to your truck? what do you use it for? Do you have surge problems or heat issues?

I am trying to track down a van turbo. The 1.15 exhaust housing is supposed to reduce back pressure (and EGTs) move a little bit more air. If you wanted a new turbo and are on a budget, I'd go this rout. There's also the ball bearing turbo from Garrrett and H2E from Hypermax.

4. redwoody

redwoody Active Member

My truck has a 'mild' 75hp chip, 4" exhaust and downtube, and AFE Stage II filter system. I use the truck almost exclusively for towing an 8000 lb camp trailer. I don't have any heat issues, and it does not seem to surge. It does seem to lack power at highway speeds. The turbo flutter is bad - especially when towing. Almost not noticeable when empty.
    Having a truck that runs cooler, quieter, with more power, and has better fuel economy would be a dream come true. :confused:

so, my question is this: Should I replace the entire turbo? or simply add the ported housing and new wheel? or, will a new wheel alone (like a Wicked Wheel) take care of it?? I am on a budget but do want to do it right. thanks.

5. NavyTech

NavyTech Well-Known Member

If you are looking at just curing Surge or Flutter go with one or the other (Ported Housing or Wheel). If you do both it will reduce your air flow from what I have been told. Are looking for more power to boot and clear up some smoke bring down your EGT's and have the $$$$$ then like the earlier post said go with a new Turbo (H2e or Ball Bearing, WOP QuickSpool). I just had mine rebuilt and I put on the Ported Housing. Buy the time I was done I was into it a little over $700. Don't get me wrong I like my setup but I wished I would have up graded while I had it out.

6. redwoody

redwoody Active Member

sorry, but I don't completely understand. Are you saying that if I go with a ported housing and a new (Wicked) wheel, the airflow will be reduced and therefore, the power will be reduced? seems to reason that if airflow is reduced, heat would also be an issue??

7. inc

inc New Member

yep if ya get the ported housing u don't need the wicked wheel