What Diesel engine would you want for pulling a grade?

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by CK5, Apr 4, 2005.

?

What Diesel engine would you choose pulling grade at 75MPH?

1. Ford PSD 6.0

54 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. Dodge Cummins 5.9/6.0

282 vote(s)
    67.1%
  3. GM Duramax 6.6

84 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. RustyJC

RustyJC Well-Known Member

My point is - compare the failure rates of the B-series and the 6.0. Are you really going to try to push the position that the 6.0 doesn't have serious, chronic problems? :doah:

Rusty

2. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    The question being asked was, which can make the grade better? Not which has the most problems!

3. budkole

Media:
    Also, when did I ever push the the point that the 6.0 doesnt have problems?:doah:

4. RustyJC

RustyJC Well-Known Member

To "make the grade", one has to reach the top. I'll take the odds of the B-series being able to do that time after time over the long haul over the odds of the 6.0 doing the same.

I voted with my wallet, and I haven't been disappointed - my truck has never been back to the dealer since I ordered and took delivery of it in August 2001. Ya pays yore money and ya takes yore choice - guess that's why they call this forum Brand Wars. ;)

Rusty

5. budkole

Media:
    Well, since we are on the subject of the 6.0. The later 6.0's are proving to be pretty much trouble free. The early ones is what have soured the 6.0's reputation. The only reason whay they are getting rid of the 6.0 is, I REPEAT, THE ONLY REASON THEY ARE GETTING RID OF THE 6.0 IS BECAUSE OF EMISSIONS!

Now, with that said, I still wouldnt own a 6.0:D

6. Beeram305

Beeram305 Well-Known Member

If the 6.0 hits that grade screaming at 4k rpm, it will pull it just fine. rotfl
    What if a car pulls out in front of you, and you lose all momentum, what motor would you want then? :stir:

7. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Had a 95 dodge 2500 5 speed that pulled great. Added a few ponies to help it and it performed great. My buddy had a 01 7.3 PSD, he couldnt touch me up hill with the same load. Father in law has a 04 6.0 PSD, were vey close going up hill. I could slightly pull away on grade, on dragstrip he'd smoke me. My dad has a 98 12 valve and an 03 cummins. The 98 has huge balls but the EGT's sky rocket fast. Dosent pull the hills very well because of that. The 03 does not run the hills that well due to the crappy auto behind it. Terrible shift points, truck falls on its face. My 95 pulled better than both the 98 and 03. Now, I have a 02 GMC DMAX. It runs the hills better than my cummins ever did. I truly belive that the Duramax Allison combo is the best. The inline is better with the right application. You need a ton of gears to make em run the way the were intended though, thats why big rigs have 10-18 speeds. Keep the inline in the lower RPM where it belongs. In our pickups, I think the V8's actually run better. Being a farm boy and running John Deers all my life, I thought inline was the only way, but running both trucks, I like the Duramax better now.

8. bigd6.6

bigd6.6 New Member

I have had a 2000 7.3 6speed with 4:10s a 2005 duramax 6 speed with 3:73s and a 2006 cummins with a 6 speed and 3:73. The powerstroke wouldnt fall out of a tree compared to the other two and it didnt start as good in the cold and it got worse mileage. This is just my experience my next one will be another duramax but i will probably get the allison next time. All of these trucks were extended cab duallys so they were all set up the same except the gears which would have benefited the ford.

9. budkole

Media:

I find what you said extremely hard to believe. If you are comparing quickness(how fast it accelerates), then yeah the 7.3 wont hold its own, but all else, well thats a different story. Milage wise, its 50/50 between the dmax and the 7.3, cummins rules in the milage dept.

10. DMAXRIG

Im not gonna argue with you and say your wrong, but I dont believe the 7.3 can get the mileage the Dmax gets. Maybe if the 7.3 has a manual, it'll come close. But, of course a 05 Dmax and 06 Cummins will out run a 00 7.3 PSD.

11. budkole

Media:
    My 7.3 stock gets 18-20mpg at 70mph with the tires at 70psi, (of course perfect weather conditions). 4.10's dually, I cant remember what the dmax got when i had it. But I wanna say the same.

12. DMAXRIG

I apologize, I was wrong. Your truck an auto or manual though. Only reason I thought the 7.3 couldnt get the mileage was because of my buddys. It was a 01 with an auto and he got about 15-16.

13. duramax

duramax Active Member

the d-max , cuz it has torque and the allison, it has power through the hole power band. by the time the other trucks are up the hill there tranny's are burned up !!! (ford,dodge)!!

14. Beeram305

The only thing I'm burning is tires dude. :pimp:

15. duramax

duramax Active Member

ya, cuz u got all that performance stuff, im talking about stock trucks going at it up the hill, winner's gunna be duramax hands down

16. Beeram305

Here we go again. :rolleyes: Considering we know a guy who owned an auto and a 6 spd duramax at the same time, then dumped both for a dodge 6 spd, I think you need to drive both before you jump out and say the duramax is the best for an uphill. rotfl You don't want to know what that guy thinks of the pulling power between the two engines. Our transmission had no problem when we upgraded it, it did everything fine even with a chip. No limp modes like you know who.

Wow, the duramax almost has a 1/4 of the vote! I tell ya, that V-8 can move!

17. DMAXRIG

Ive had both, cummins and a Dmax. we have two other cummins right now, 98 with a 5 speed and an 03 with an auto. My 02 Dmax pulls the hills better than the dodges from my experience. Mileage isnt as great as pulling the hills with the cummins, but the dmax just moves that load up the hill easier.

18. JNelson

JNelson Well-Known Member

Media:
    I dont know about ya'll grocery getters and jet ski haulers but down here in Texas where oil field hot shot is big bussines; 75% of the hot shot trucks are Dodges, 20% are Fords, and 5% are Duramaxs.

You would think that if the duramax was the "best" diesel truck, they would be the 1st choice for those of us who use and abuse them everyday.

This is my 3rd CTD and it will not be my last. Sure the Dmax may be faster,but will it be faster at 400,000 miles or will it even make it?

This truck here will turn 200,000 miles by Sunday. It runs better now than the day i brought it home.

Attached Files:

19. DMAXRIG

Sure, the Dmax will make it to 400,000 no problem. Ther Cummins will also, but not that Dodge wraped around it!!! I agree with what someone said earlier, dont trash another truck till you've driven both. This weekend, a family member told me that Ford Dodge an Chevy all have their high and low points. They said the best thing about Ford was that it pulls the hills way better than Dodge or Chevy. They've never driven anything but Ford. With the same load up the hill, they had a rude awakening when they were passed and could not keep up. They said they were truly impressed with the Dmax, but still like Ford. In short, we all like what we like, but untill youv'e driven both trucks, or even all 3, dont say one is better than the other.

20. rharveysr

rharveysr Well-Known Member

Media:
    My 97 5 speed Dodge....Yes I have changed it a little but...still runs like a sewing machine at 247k

Rick

Attached Files: