Gear and Power range question....

Discussion in 'Ford Diesel 6.9 | 7.3' started by sureshot40sw, Mar 20, 2006.

1. sureshot40sw

sureshot40sw Member

i have a 94 7.3 turbo IDI, BUILT e4od and 4.10's.... at 70mph i run 2500 rpms...

my question is.... what is the power range for the stock 7.3 idi turbo...? anybody have a chart or graph...?

it seems to have better power at 2K than 2500 with enuff pedal left to accelerate..... at 2500 not much left.... i pull campers across the country and would like to drop the rpms about 500... it would also help dropping into third for the hills....

i'm thinkin maybe 3.73's....

2. sureshot40sw

sureshot40sw Member

this is what i found so far... does this look about right...

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Have you turned the fuel up at all on it? Also, have you adjusted your wastegate to make more boost? I had a 94 IDI turbo, and it was an absolutely dog stock. After adding a 3" DP, 5" exhaust, adding more fuel and tweaking the wastegate it would eat stock 7.3 PSDs for lunch.

4. sureshot40sw

sureshot40sw Member

i have no idea how to do any of that... this is my first deezul... if you have any links that I could check out .. .that would be great..

it does have a 2.5" DP and single 2.5" exhaust.. no muff/cat.. I'm thinking about running dual 3" exhaust since we dont have a shop that can do 4 or 5"....

5. olivera149

olivera149 Member

first thing get some good quality gauges like isspro, autometer, etc... at the very least get a pyrometer to monitor the exaust gas temps (EGTs). Next get a boost gauge to monitor overboost. 1125'F is the max on the pyro preturbo, and 12psi on the boost gauge. The reason is to not have a catastrophic meltdown of the engine(to much fuel) and keep the heads seated against the block, the idi engine runs a higher compression ratio than powerstrokes.

Either ATS or Banks sells the 3" downpipes, but ATS also offers a turbo housing to match the 3" dp. These engines are mechanical so no tuners or chips for power, but with better exhuast and better intake you can gather a couple of extra ponies and get a little better mpg too.

As for turning up the fuel, pyro is strongly cautioned!!http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Injection%20pump%20adjustment%20article.htm

Also if more power is wanted ken at dps has some cool stuff http://www.dps-performance.com/ like stage 1 injectors and turbo cal IP. He has a HI-PO 6.9 IDI with somewhere like 600hp used for truck pulls.

6. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I second the quaility guages Fords oil pressure guage drives me crazy it only has two positions mid point and bottomed out you figure they could make something better than that with all the other improvements that have been made.A 3.73 gear wouldnt help out the the diesel I that in my SD and it works for a triton but I get better power at higher rpms vs a diesles lower rpm pull so I would recomind a spliter or a new tranny and sticking with the 4.10.

7. J. Delaney

J. Delaney Well-Known Member

You might try stepping up a couple of sizes when the tires need replacing.