brake light & anti lock lights on

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by stevescummins, Apr 3, 2006.

1. stevescummins

stevescummins Active Member

I put new calipers and pads on the front of the truck the other day. Yesterday the right front brake felt hot. I took the caliper off and all look ok. Using a c clamp I pushed the piston back in and put all back together. As I pumped the brakes back up the lights both came on. I pulled all four wheels and all looks fine. Any ideas?

2. J. Delaney

J. Delaney Well-Known Member

Check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder. There is a float that closes a switch when the fluid level gets too low causing the red brake light to come on. That red light also tells the ABS computer that there isn't enough fluid in the master cylinder to perform an ABS assisted stop and disables the ABS, turning on the ABS light.

BTW, brakes do get hot. That's how they work.

3. stevescummins

stevescummins Active Member

fluid

Master cylinder is full

4. crashguy

crashguy Well-Known Member

Media:
    You may have damaged a wheel speed sensor when you were messing around down there. Caliper could be sticking too if they haven't been looked after/lubed with high temp grease.

5. J. Delaney

J. Delaney Well-Known Member

Generally when a wheel speed sensor is damaged, only the ABS light comes on. I've also never heard of a sticking caliper setting off the brake light and ABS lights.

Maybe the low fluid level switch in the master cylinder is sticking.