How many of us have been or are Drivers

Discussion in 'Big Rigs' started by rocknbronco, Mar 2, 2006.

1. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

How many of us have drove CDL class vehicles in the past
    I started out school book in a community college rig with a 48 trailer got my first job driving a flatbed and then moved on the dump trucks,like my father said to all along..:doah:
    I'm honestly starting to think about buying a Mack and making regional runs with it at night but I dont know yet,wifes not to into it.:stir:

2. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

work on them, so that measn i have to be able to drive them.....
    also do light, med and HD towing.

3. 06lbzduramax

06lbzduramax Member

i've been driving for 12, years and currently pull doubles with a 2004 freightliner, in colorado, newmexico, and west texas.

4. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

I have a CDL for my lineman job. Our trucks are a class B, but go into class A when the trailers go over weight or a pole trailer has a pole over 40ft. I've been doing it for 9 yrs now.

5. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

Remember you will be subject to "hours of operation" for both your day job plus your night runs.

6. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I was going to keep that on the down low

7. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I've drove many of them but never had my CDLs. I worked at A.N. Webber for about 2 years as a mechanic.

PS my mom's got CDLs.:pimp: She drives the school bus.rotfl

8. 9 second Butiac

9 second Butiac Well-Known Member

owner operator

I've had my class A licence since before it was changed to a CDL. I was grandfathered in.waytogo I now own a heavy equipment moving buis., I just purchased a dually with a 30' triaxle trailer because some of my customers were bugging me about moving there small equipment. so long story short I'm looking for a driver right now for the Western Star.

9. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have a class A CDL with every endorsement but hazmat and passenger bus.... also have a class M motorcycle lisc. I think I am gonna have to get hazmat since they wants us to deleiver LPGs now but I will make the company pay for all the extra BS to get it.

10. mushroom7B

mushroom7B Member

owner Operator

This is my first post, I have been reading the forums for a while. I have been an owner operator for 13 years. Right now I have a '92 Kenworth W-900 with a 3406b and a deep reduction 15 speed that is going to be my fifth wheel tow rig when I get a newer truck to use on the road. This one has 1.4 million miles on it, it's in good shape, I just want one with a little more room in it and a newer, electronic injection engine for cruise control and fuel economy. I have driven this truck for 9 years and app. 850,000 miles and it has done a good job. I ran it in the Morenci mine in S.E. Az. for about five years and hauled oversize tires from Ancon Marine in Long Beach to mines all over the Southwest. With the deep reduction 15 spd. it will start 80,000 from a dead stop on a 10% grade and not hop or shake at all, that is the best transmission around in my opinion. It works real good off road, over the years I have driven this truck about 4-5,000 miles in reduction and it just creeps along. I'm going to build a flat bed for it and shorten it up a little when i convert it. I also have a '98 Dodge 2500 4x4 witht the Cummins in it, I like it a lot for small jobs. Be careful everyone and I'll see you later.

11. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Welcome Mushroom, and let's see some pics of your big rig.

12. mushroom7B

mushroom7B Member

Here's some pictures

Looking for lift kit to fit these tires on dang 'ol dang'ol truck...no luck

Attached Files:

13. mushroom7B

mushroom7B Member

En route to La Plata New Mexico with these, near Farmington. These are about six years ago. Be careful, Mushroom.

14. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Now those are BIG tires.

15. mushroom7B

mushroom7B Member

LLantes el Mucho Expensivo!!!!!

Yeah, they're pretty good sized. They were 22 grand each then, I don't know what they are now. Well I'm off to Albuquerque, be good.

16. k2mslskier

k2mslskier Member

I have been driving for over 12 years now. I have pulled flatbeds, stepdecks, rgn's, vans, doubles, end dumps, 10 wheelers and am currently running a belly dump for a paving company here in Tucson.

17. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

I had a Class AM-PTX until 4 years ago when it came up for renewal and I was unable to get a DOT medical card. Started driving large cars in 1977 hauling gasoline and my last job in 2000 was hauling gasoline. In between I hauled containers and 48-53' dry vans. Owned a Dodge 22yd tandem dump once, one ugly truck. Also have seat time in London double decker busses, right hand drive, try to find reverse.
    Posted pics in another thread here.
    Miss being on the road sometimes.

Old-Trucker

18. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid Member

I started out driving around the farm when I was about 13, single axle farm trucks in the field. Graduated high school in 1979 and went custom combining for the next 8 years. Fourteen ft high and 14' wide from south TX to central sask. canada. Been an owner operator for 12 out of the last 13 years. I would sell my truck in a heartbeat and get off the road, getting damm tired of it.
    George

19. ec598

ec598 Member

been drivng since 1987 started otr at first , but was away from home tooo long , like 6-8 weeks at a time, got off the road and drove locally,
    now lately im getting the otr bug again, just cant decide wether to owner operater or company driver.

20. PoorBoy

PoorBoy Member

I drove winch trucks years ago moving oil drilling rigs. I pulled 16 wheel jeeps with a 16wheel lowboy behind that and a load shift dolley behind that. That makes for one long combination especially with a 300 inch wheelbase truck.
    I some times think I would like to do it again but there is too much paperwork involved now. You spend more time filling out forms than you do driving.:rolleyes: