Anything out of the norm that you tow with?

Discussion in 'Other Tow Rigs' started by CK5, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Mr. Beer/Cummins

Mr. Beer/Cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yea, i pull a d5, not a d6. That dozer is huge compared to his truck. The truck is a 4x4 so he may pull it down the road in 4 low.

Anybody know the weight of a d6 ?

If I see him and have a camera I'll post a picture waytogo

2. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    D6 operating weight averages from 35k to 40k depending on specs and options.

3. Mr. Beer/Cummins

Mr. Beer/Cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    HOLY $DJALJFALFJ I didn't know they weight that much I figured 28k tops maybe 30k

I wonder how long before he breaks a trailer axle :eek:

4. JeepHauler

JeepHauler Member

Thought of another one.... Used to tow a '78 K20 mud truck with a C10 that had a very tired 305 and a 2.7X rear gear, on a very heavy trailer to boot. I believe the only thing that made it possible was the 4 speed's granny gear to get it all rolling. Oh, and of course no trailer brakes.:eek:

5. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Its not really a trailer, but still a decent load.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Blue Ridge Runner

Blue Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

How about this:

[​IMG]

7. Blue Ridge Runner

This is also a pretty common site at Zuwharrie.

[​IMG]

8. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    :eek: Damn, the truck goes through a green light while the first trailer goes through a yellow and then the 2nd trailer goes through a red light, perhaps attracting the police car. :D

9. Blue Ridge Runner

Notice that it is a 1500 Chevy also. :eek:

10. Blue Ridge Runner

I forgot about this pic of my Zuk towing the 24' flatbed to be used as a stage for a Zuwharrie event. :doah:

11. SoCal98TwelveValveAuto4x4

SoCal98TwelveValveAuto4x4 Well-Known Member

I live in El Centro, CA. Between here and San Diego is one of the nastiest grades I know. It's not as long as Grapevine, but it's probably steeper, and HOT. The road is scarred all over from vehicle overheating and burning to the ground. I once came upon a guy towing a goodsize boat up the hill with and old Aerostar van. He was pulled over steaming, and I stopped and he said he just goes a little ways til it gets hot then pulls over and lets it cool! Good grief, way to kill a motor...so i hooked to boat up to my gutless stock CA CTD and dragged it halfway to SD for him where it was downhill from there. I hope the boat didn't push him off a cliff....

12. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I towed an 87 Jeep Cherokee from Delaware to Ohio and then to North Carolina with a 99 chevy venture (minivan). I then turned around a month later went back DE and picked up my 86 Cherokee and towed it to NC with the same van. This was with a fullsize trailer. I also towed a Toyota Rav 4 from Witchita Falls Texas (near Oklohoma border) to Georgia where I swapped the Rav 4 for a Lebaron and finished my trip to NC. Never had any troubles at all except with the people at Uhual. They said my van couldn't tow that much weight for all four of these vehicles. So I told them I was towing a 69 VW Beetle. The van had 105000 miles on it when My wife totaled it at Uwharrie and never had any trouble from it at all. Coming through the mountains with the cherokee was a little scary since the trailer had no brakes but we made it fine. I wish I had pictures of it all. Almost forgot, I bent my frame backing into my driveway with the 86 cherokee. The hitch sat close to the ground and it hit the pavement and did a little bit of bendage when backing into the driveway.

13. myclone

myclone Active Member

While Ive done some crazy towing stuff about the craziest thing Ive seen was a guy from FL that bought my turbo buick here in VA several years ago.

He rented a 2wd Ranger from Avis went home got his mini van and rented a U hual car trailer (they are NOT light weight by any means and use surge brakes) brought it home. He hooked the ranger to the trailer, drove from FL to south west VA, loaded up the buick (~3600lbs), then took off to Bristol, TN for a car show/race, and finally dragged the whole mess back to FL.

I thought the guy was insane but he called afterwords and said he made it just fine with no issues other than the ranger being a little down on tq (ya think?!?!?!?). Thank God he didnt need to make a quick stop or he'd still be wrecking to this day IMO.

14. evildark

evildark New Member

I tow my boat all around town in my '85 Lesabre. I hardly even know it's back there until I look in my mirrors.

It can't weigh much more than 1200 lbs with trailer, though.

V8 307 (Olds) and 2.73 rear gears, so it isn't the fastest thing in the world regardless, but it doesn't seem to change much boat or no boat. Has a Class III/IV hitch, and it is rated to the full 1000/10,000WD. I have a set of airlift airbags in the rear coils for the heavy loads.

I've also pulled anything U-Haul has to offer with it when I need to move a load of dirt.

-Evildark

Attached Files:

15. Hauliday

Hauliday Active Member

Media:
    my tow rig

My dodge 3500 wasnt able the weight i needed so i moved up

Attached Files:

16. k2mslskier

k2mslskier Member

I know how you feel. I did the same thing with my old 78 K10 LWB, 350/sm465/np205, 4" lift, 33's. Towed that same exact type of trailer from Tucson to Flagstaff loaded with all of my worldly possessions. About 200 miles into the trip coming out of Camp Verde going up a hill, I went to shift into 4th and heard a loud bang and lost all power. Turns out I destroyed my u-joint between my driveshaft and 12bolt. Being a Sunday and knowing nothing was open and certainly not wanting to pay for a tow I just locked in the hubs and stuck it in 4HI and drove the remaining 60 miles to my new home, of course only going maybe 45mph. She got me there without so much as a hiccup and then got me to my new job the next day, till I was able to get it fixed on Tuesday. I sold it a few years ago, dayum I miss that truck.

17. woodyforfords

woodyforfords Member

i tow with this or this

selling these rigs but have built them both!

Attached Files:

18. lilrebeljames88

lilrebeljames88 Member

where did u go in WV

19. lilrebeljames88

lilrebeljames88 Member

i pulled 7800lbs with a 2003 ford ranger and i pulled a 941 cat loader with my boss man's 3500 chevy drw 454

20. MarkyB

MarkyB Member

The day I bought my 4Runner trail rig. . . . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

05 Tacoma double cab long wheel base.