K & N Air Filter

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by rocknbronco, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Subdriver

Subdriver Well-Known Member

AMSOIL partnered with Donaldson last year to develop a new line of nanofiber technology filters for light trucks and cars, the
    AMSOIL Ea Air Filter. Ea Air Filters’ synthetic nanofiber media removes five times more dust than traditional cellulose filter media alone and 50 times more dust than wet gauze filter media. AMSOIL Ea Air Filters have a service life of 100,000 miles or four years, whichever comes first.

To determine the exact AMSOIL filter for your vehicle, you can check here:
    AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide

2. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Wow, how many dupes was that? ;)

And double WOW, that sounds really cool. I was speaking specifically of the old foam filters like K&N, UNI, and others. But this sounds like something totally new that I’ve never seen before. I look forward to seeing how those work out. Any independent testing or hard data other than sales literature? If it's "real", then that absolutely rocks.

3. DMAX2459

DMAX2459 New Member

I have a 2006 Duramax LBZ stock round air filter. I just installed a K & N replacement filter and my milage went downhill. I would average 17.5 around town and I am now getting 15.1. (based on my calculations, not the computer) I was told that the truck's ECM would take some time to reset itself to the new filter. Have you heard of this? The truck is bone stock and I went ahead and put a new factory Donaldson filter for now.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh man, should have jumped on the forums and asked us before the purchase!:D

The only thing I could think of that would make your mileage drop is that you got the filter over oiled and it coated your MAF sensor?

Those oiled filters are not the way to go, what many guys are really liking, including myself is the Amsoil Universal induction filters made by Donoldson that use a nanofiber filter media that is dry and reusable! They flow more than a paper filter and nearly as much as the oiled guaze filters, but you can blow them out with air and reuse them for 100K miles. Most importantly, they do a good job of actually filtering the air, where those oil guaze filters can sometimes let large particles get by.

5. DMAX2459

DMAX2459 New Member

Thanks for the reply. The K&N was pre-oiled and brand new. I have heard of the MAF sensor problems and I don't think this cuased my problem. I have put about 200 miles on the factory filter and my MPG are back and a bit better than before. I kept the K&N in case I change my mind. I will look into the Amsoil filters too. Thanks again.