oil capacity

Discussion in 'Oils and Lubricants' started by eldogg, Apr 25, 2006.

1. eldogg

eldogg Active Member

i was wondering what the oil capacity including the filter was on the cummins power plant.
    thanks
    eldogg

2. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

12qts and also the oil must be syn based.

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    where did you get that from?

4. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    does syn based mean synthetic oil? i dont use synthetic on mine

5. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    usually it's short for synthetic, far as I know.

6. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Dodges don't come from the factory with synthetic. I would wait till 5000 or so till you use synthetics. There is no reason why you can't earlier, but why waste oil?
    Otherwise, 15W40, you pick your faavorite brand.

7. rocknbronco

The information come off my companys computer systems the correct weight for a 06 Cummins is also 5W40-We in turn get it from the manufacturer and yes Syn means synthetic.

8. Diesel Nut

Media:
    Sorry, I am running 5w-30 in my truck. Here is info on this oil if you are interested.

Here is the 15w-40

9. dieselgearhead

dieselgearhead Member

Are the 06 Cummins running the weird weight oils like Ford is ( 0W40)?

10. Diesel Nut

Media:
    No, stock is 15w-40 and whatever the dealer sells is whatever is cheaper. Make no mistake, they are out for profits, not motor life. Go with synthetic when you are ready. I sell it because I use it.

11. rocknbronco

On the 06's it comes up as 5W40 but of course it is your vehicles to do with as you please.

12. AZcowboy2006

AZcowboy2006 Well-Known Member

Were do you guys get your info. If the dealers/manufactures were out for profit only what do you think would cost more, them selling you a better grade motor oil or replacing motors because of the cheep oil that they sold you? Come on I know you all are smarter than that. The oil that they sell you is just as good if not better than what you can buy. The only thing that is different than manufactures oils is the detergents that each manufactures ads, other than that it all comes out of the same ground. As for synthetic oil why waist your money your going to change your oil between 3- 5 thousand miles any ways. Because of the way the oil gets contaminated in diesels. Just my thoughts.

13. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    All the vehicle has to do is make it out of warranty, and it's not their problem anymore. It doesn't take much to get a vehicle past 70K or 100K. The key with cheaper oils is to change it often. Why do you think you get a letter in the mail from your dealership telling you that you need to see them for a service? I get these about 3 times a year. They want to change lots of oil, I'll let you decide why.

If this is what you know about synthetics than it's time for some research.;)

For one, even with petroleum oils, you shouldn't be changing oil in 3 to 5K. If you are doing this you are waisting oil!:eek: It's a diesel pickup, not a gasser car. There is reason why you hold 3 gallons of oil over just 5 quarts. Dodge service recommendations are 15K in normal driving conditions with long trips and nearly no towing. 7.5K under severe use and any amount of towing, this is on dyno oil, not synthetic. Synthetic oil traps metal, dirt, and soot better than dyno oil does. This makes it easier for the filter to do it's job, especially with a nanofiber filter that the actual media resists break down, has more storage room for contaminants, and collects smaller particles. This is why it took 10K for the synthetic in my motor to finally start to have a deeper amber/brown look.waytogo

Diesels don't contaminate oil as badly as some think. Some of this goes back to the older mechanical motors, which were less efficient and were harder on oil. All of my gas trucks turn the oil black just as fast, and it even starts to stink slightly like gas on our carbureted trucks.

I change my oil every 25K, a superior synthetic and nanofiber filter is a wonderfull thing.

14. rocknbronco

My question is as much as trucks and fuels cost today why not put in the best possible grade oil so that they can last longer and you get better efficency from the engine.

15. Subdriver

Subdriver Well-Known Member

The basestocks used in oil vary dramatically, and the levels and types of additives used by each oil manufacturer vary widely as well.

The API has not come out and defined what is "synthetic", but rather, classified oils into five major groups.

Group I base oils are the least refined of all of the groups. They are usually a mix of different hydrocarbon chains with little or no uniformity. While some automotive oils use these stocks, they are generally used in less demanding applications.

Group II base oils are common in mineral based motor oils. They have fair to good performance in the areas of volatility, oxidation stability, wear prevention and flash/fire points. They have only fair performance in areas such as pour point and cold crank viscosity. Group II base stocks are what the majority of engine oils are made from. 3000 mile oil changes are the norm.

Group III base oils are subjected to the highest level of refining of all the mineral oil stocks. Although not chemically engineered, they offer improved performance in a wide range of areas as well as good molecular uniformity and stability. By definition they are considered a synthesized material and can be used in the production of synthetic and semi-synthetic lubricants. Group III is used in the vast majority of full synthetics or synthetic blends. They are superior to group I and II oils but still have limitations. Some formulations are designed for extended oil changes. AMSOIL XL Motor Oils, Castrol Syntec and many others fall into this category.

Group IV are polyalphaolefins (PAO) which are a chemically engineered synthesized basestocks. PAOs offer excellent stability, molecular uniformity and performance over a wide range of lubricating properties. AMSOIL SAE Synthetic Motor Oils and Mobil 1 primarily use group IV basestocks. PAO is a much more expensive basestock than the highly refined petroleum oil basestock of Group III.

Group V base oils are also chemically engineered stocks that do not full into any of the categories previously mentioned. Typical examples of group V stocks are Esters, polyglycols and silicone. Redline uses an ester basestock.

In the 90s, Mobil filed suit against Castrol for falsely advertising Syntec oil as synthetic, when in fact it contained a Group III, highly hydroprocessed mineral (Dino) oil, instead of a chemically synthesized (group IV or V) basestock. Due to the amount that the mineral oil had been chemically changed, the judge decided in Castrol's favor. As a result, any oil containing this highly hydroprocessed mineral (Dino) oil (currently called Group III basestock by the American Petroleum Institute) can be marketed as a synthetic oil. Since the original synthetic basestock (polyalphaolefin or PAO) is much more expensive than the Group III basestock, most of the oil blenders switched to the Group III basestock, which significantly increased their profit margins.

16. jeffnvegas

jeffnvegas Well-Known Member

okay, i'm ready for my first oil change and lube (just turned 3500mi.)on my 06 and there are alot of choices out there for oil. just about every diesel sight is recommending different brands at different prices. TDR is recommending fleet filters along with their recommended brand of oil. then there is stuff like tri chem etc. you get the picture. what does dodge say about 15k - 25k miles between oil changes when it comes to the warranty? why do you think amsoil is so much better than everything else, and how much is an oil change with filters gonna cost me? always ran rotella in my old ford 7.3 and it was still running great when i sold it with 215k miles on it.

17. rocknbronco

Two simple answers refinement and quailty I have yet to find a oil that performs as well as Amsoil as far as cost using Amsoils 15W40 Heavy Duty Diesel(Stock Number AME-QTor AME-01) the cost should be around $6.80 a Quart or $80.40 a case https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx using the Amsoil 5W40 Premium Diesel Oil(Stock Number DEO-QT or DEO-01) it will be $7.45 a quart or $88.20 a case https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/deo.aspx
    now for the filter you would need a Absolute Efficenty Oil Filter AEO80 https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx cost it $22.00 so you would be looking at $112.40 or $120.20 range with shipping and handleing after that.Check out the Amsoil site www.amsoil.com for further info or questions or ask me or any of the other dealers on this site yes you will pay more for an Amsoil oil change but I have yet to find anything that will work harder or longer giving me a better value for my buck.As for as the service life Dodge shouldnt be able to say anything against using Amsoil for 15K to 25K I want to say the factory specs are 10K to 15K and for 06 Dodge started staying to quick lube use only synthetic oil in our Cummins Engines I do hope that answers your questions if not drop me a line.

18. jeffnvegas

jeffnvegas Well-Known Member

thanks for the quick response. what about breakin? is there one weight or type that is better for the first 5-10k miles than another??

19. rocknbronco

I would honestly recomend going with the 5W40 as its what the engine is running from the factory your engine is already running synthetic from the factory wouldnt worry about it.

20. Diesel Nut

Media:
    Can you show me the location of your info? This is the first I have heard of the truck coming stock with 5W40, unless maybe it was sold in Alaska.rotfl

From the 2006 Dodge Service manual

Oils of the SAE 5W-40 grade number are preferred
    when minimum temperatures consistently fall below -15° C (5° F).

Normal Fill is 15W-40 CI4/SH