Van trubo just installed

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by J. Delaney, May 20, 2006.

1. J. Delaney

J. Delaney Well-Known Member

My turbo started making some strange noises the other day so I decided to get busy and swap out the stocker for the van turbo that has been sitting on my bench for the last 3 weeks. I gotta tell ya, this is how these trucks should have come from the factory!! It just seems to pull harder everywhere and my EGT (empty) has dropped about 100*. I'll be pulling my 5er to the dunes next weekend so I'll know more after the trip. I was kind of bummed though. I was saving up for an ATS housing. Oh well.

2. NavyTech

NavyTech Well-Known Member

What is the difference between the Van Turbo and the stocker?

3. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks Well-Known Member

The van turbo has no wastegate.

4. J. Delaney

It also has a 1.15 AR turbine housing and larger turbine wheel compared to the stocker. All that equals lower EGT. I pulled my 12,000 lb 5er to the beach last weekend and never got over 1200* with my DP Tuner set in the 80hp setting. There's some pretty good hills between my place and the beach, too. Most of the compressor stall is gone as well. You still get a little bit on a hard pull, but it's easier to drive around it. Plus, I 'm hoping to get a wicked wheel and/or an ATS housing soon.

5. NavyTech

NavyTech Well-Known Member

Is there any turbo lag since it has a larger housing. Did you have to up grade you base? Inquiring mined would like to know. Thanks.

6. J. Delaney

There is quite a bit of turbo lag, but after you drive the truck a while it's not that noticable. It's really nice towing though.

As for mounting, the later van turbos (the ones with 5 bolts holding the compressor housing on) use the same pedestal as the trucks. All you need is a van turbo adapter. Also, your ATS housing will bolt onto the van turbo.

7. StrokerAce

StrokerAce Member

Hey, I have never heard of this, are talkin econovan turbo, and how hard is this swap, come on fellas, details, sounds like power on the cheap-thats what I NEED!:stir:

8. J. Delaney

The van turbos are basically a bolt on deal once you install an adapter on the turbine side. You also need to make sure the compressor side of the van turbo has 5 bolts holding the housing on. It would also be a good idea to install an ATS housing or Wicked Wheel at the same time. There is a very good drop in EGT, about 200*.

9. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 Well-Known Member

Media:
    How much did the van turbo and install run you?

10. J. Delaney

I bought the turbo (which was in need of a rebuild) off of Ebay for $75. The rebuild kit was $100, and the adapter flange was another $100. I was a Ford Tech for 10 years so I do most all my own work.

I took the family for a trip up through the Canadian Rockeys last summer and this set up worked awsome! There were some 8-10% grades that we pulled and I don't think we ever slowed down below 40mph (at about 22K Gross). I would recomend installing a wicked wheel and/or ATS ported housing at the same time.

11. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

pretty kewl