Looking for a complete headlight unit, aftermarket.

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Jun 24, 2006.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    My headlamps are oxidizing over bad. They did this after I bought the truck, but I was able to buff off the oxidation. Well, that didn't last much more than 6 months and they are shading back over.

The dealer wants about 2 million freaking dollars for new Sport headlamps, so what is out the for aftermarket complete headlamps? Kind of like Euro or what not. I don't want something that is cheesy, but a different style than factory is also welcome.

2. rdhamill

rdhamill Member

Media:
    I had the same issue with mine, got a set of replacements off Ebay at a good price. they were even the sport units. I find that some of the sellers have links to web sites were you can find just about any light you want

good luck

3. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmm, I got on Ebay as mentioned above and found these.

Which would you guys go with?
    Here is the stock style Sport like mine except the corners are euro without any amber.
    [​IMG]
    Euro LED projector in chrome
    [​IMG]
    Same lamp but in black.
    [​IMG]

I have a couple questions.

1. Some of the lamps say they do not work for Sport models, while others don't list if SLT or Sport or both. Should I be worried about this?

2. How well do those projector lights actually work? Are they really better than the stock style like the first pic?

As far as the black version, I don't think they would match my truck well and I think I am more interested in the stock style and chrome projectors.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I just found out that none of the three work with a Sport model with the dual plug wiring harness, infact there isn't much stuff at all for Sport models.

I think I am going to go with these, which are all I could find for the Sport.
    [​IMG]

5. '05 2500HD

'05 2500HD Well-Known Member

the slt's use 1 bulb per lamp, while the sports use 2 bulbs per lamp.

6. rdhamill

rdhamill Member

Media:
    the last set that you showed would also be my first choice, as long as your turn signal lights are OK.
    I'd like to try the projector lights to see if they were any good, but only if I already have a set I could count on.
    With your new lights, you'll have to get yourself a set of PIAA bulbs.

good luck

7. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I think I am going to go with the lamps in the very last picture on my post with just the single photo. What is so special about the PIAA bulbs? As one can see, those lamps come with some blue ice type bulbs. I am going to get a pair of euro clear corner lights too, even with the Sport package there is still a stripe of amber on the stockers.

8. rdhamill

rdhamill Member

Media:
    that should look great when it's complete, post a pic for us will ya waytogo

I have had many types of bulbs in my truck and fine the PIAA to be about the best. There are tons of blue bulbs on the market but most are just a bunch of BS. i tried the slyvania silverstars and find that they have a very short life.
    the PIAA are bright and last well.
    I have a source for high wattage bulbs at wholesale prices if your interested, they last and are cheap enough, 9004 65/55W were $ 3.45, 100/80W $4.29. 9007 are in the same area.
    I get quite a bit of stuff from this importer, got 19" wiper blades $2.99ea, cheap enough that I change them twice a year.

check out www.danielsternlighting.com for more info on lights than you might want:popcorn:

9. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I think I will run the bulbs that come in the lamps for now, since they are there and I can barely afford the lamps right, my budget is cramped at the momment.

It will be a while by the time the auction ends, I get them paid, they get the lights shipped, and I actually find time to do the install. I will get pics when I'm done for sure.:)

10. grouchrc

grouchrc Active Member

I'm on my laptop so i don't have the address but there is an outfit in Florida that sells a kit to polish headlights. Cost $35 and did wonders on my wifes Sable. I found the name at a Dodge Dealer who wanted $75 for the job.

11. grouchrc

grouchrc Active Member

I'm on my laptop so i don't have the address but there is an outfit in Florida that sells a kit to polish headlights. Cost $35 and did wonders on my wifes Sable. I found the name at a Dodge Dealer who wanted $75 for the job.

12. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know what they use, but I buffed out and polished my original lenses. It worked great and they looked like new, until 6 months later when the quickly re oxidized.;)

I put the new lamps in on Tuesday. Here is a pic of one installed and one original, what a difference.
    [​IMG]