Fender options (ASAP)

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by MTMike, May 23, 2005.

1. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

Since most of you guys are from CK5 and are here because you tow your trail rig, I hope y'all can help me out.

I need to replace the fenders on my trailer, and want to do so with some nice sturdy Diamond tread plate ones. My dilema is I want them to last, but they need to be strong enough to runover, or they need to be quickly and easilly removable for loading and unloading the truck. One of the one's I have on there now seem to be adequite, the otherone just buckles under the weight of the truck.

I found some nice diamond tread ones for $65/each but he said they're not strong enough to run over and designed to be welded on, and no other place I said they had, knew of or carried fenders that do such a thing.

What do you guys do for run-over-able, or removable fenders for loading your big trail rigs up?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well My first Gen squesses thru my fenders w/ 83" deck.
    Some guys build a pyrmid of wood and place them on the deck next to the fenders. THis wood pyrmid is slightly taller than the fenders and the tires stay on the wood as you drive up and over. just a thought...
    Good Luck

3. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    I have a standard car trailer and neither fender is heavy enough to drive over. I just pull the removeable fender and put the drivers front tire on the trailer tires as I go inside the passenger fender, then turn back. You just have to start onto the trailer slightly from the left so you wind up centered on the trailer. If it's local, I just leave the fender at home so I don't have to fool with it.

4. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

Could you post pics of how your removable fender is set up? I may look into just fabricating a removable fender type setup for mine

Thanks

5. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm planning on doing the wood pyramid thing. I'll also carry a pair of small tires mounted on stock wheels so if I have to push/pull a broken truck on to the trailer I can swap the front tires and take off the pyramids so it will be easier to load. I'm planning on making the pyramid things so they drop into place using a couple of guide holes so they will come off without tools.

6. BadDog

Media:
    I don't have any pics, I'll try to remember to go over where the trailer is and get some later, but things are hectic right now.

But it's not hard to follow really. Basically it's just a standard fender with 2 pieces of 1" angle iron welded on the end so that it has a horizontal going out from the fender, and the vertical going down. From one vertical down to the other is the longest part of the fender. Then there is a piece of 1x1 square tubing that stick out from the trailer rails to mount the fender on. The angle iron slides over the square pieces to locate the fender, and there is a welded stud with wing nut on each square tube to hold the fender in place.

7. BadDog

Media:
    Here is a quick drawing to makes sense of it all...

8. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks for the drawing and info! that makes sense :) I think I'll probably just do that or something similar.

9. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

Bump to the top... anybody come up with new ideas for this? Finally encountered a problem with a K5 2 weekends ago and it's likely to be a recurring one. Especially now that the wheelin bug has stuck it's thorn in my a$$.

10. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

I guess I forgot to post a conclusion to this post over a year ago :doah:

I went with removable fenders - I bought some aluminum and welded on 2" square tube to the frame: (MNorby re-welded those booger welds i did shortly there after :D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But a year later (a month ago) an idiot drunk driver totalled the trailer when it was parked in front of my house
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I went and bought a new '06 PJ 14k GVW 18' with removable fenders :D (Sorry for the bad picture it's all I've had time to take since I just picked it up the day before we left for a week.)
    [​IMG]

11. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

Ouch, that's a rough way to get a new trailer...

12. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

those pictures still sting

13. big pappa b

big pappa b Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll post some pics later tonight but I bought my trailer from Dan, "Krazie87K5". Him and Brian, "Laketex" made some killer drive over fenders. They are thick diamond plate and are supported underneath by a 5/8" steel rod welded to the fender and then down to the frame. I could park my big block K5 with D60 and 39.5" Iroks on top the fenders and they didn't move a bit

14. big pappa b

big pappa b Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
  15. rocknbronco

Nice trailer fenders and malibu.

16. rocknbronco

Nice trailer and fender

Nice trailer fenders and malibu.