Odd Fuel pressures

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by billygoatyj, Jun 22, 2006.

1. billygoatyj

billygoatyj Well-Known Member

I have one of the campaign lift pumps with maybe 3000 miles on it. Normally it will work just fine, cruise around 14 never get less that 11.5. Recently however the fuel pressure will drop to around 5 or so and stay there for vaving amounts of time. The changes are also unrelated to the trottle, i'll be accelerating and it will go back to normal pressures and sometimes it will go down when I'm idling. :confused: Anybody have any ideas? I guess it could be just warning me about it's death but the last one showed consistant signs of dieing instead of the perfect one min and not the next.

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I would think it's either the guage or the pump sticking. Maybe you got a bad pump out of the box?

3. grouchrc

grouchrc Active Member

i have a similar problem. I have a spare pump so when I get the fuel strainer that I ordered I'll instsll it and change the pump. The electric gage is good because I also have a mechanical one undr the hood.

4. CTD NUT

CTD NUT Well-Known Member

Media:
    Assuming the gauge is fine (they usually are), the needle and seat in the bypass section of the pump is sticking. When the needle works freely, pressures will stay constant (relatively)....if it gets stuck in a halfway open position, system pressure will drop until the needle can properly seat itself again.

This is typically the beginning of the end for the LP since the bypass isn't independently servicable and is a classic symptom of these pumps. It never gets better and can fail completely, suddenly. The bottom line is that the pump is pooched and should be replaced as soon as possible. Sometimes they will run a few months like this, sometimes not.

5. billygoatyj

That's what I figured would be the case, I was just looking for an easy fix. I plan on replacing it soon with something aftermarket. I don't feel like replacing them once or twice a year. Does anybody have any experiance with the walbro setup?

6. grouchrc

grouchrc Active Member

When I change pumpe I'll take he old one apart. I've
    found that a lot of things can be repaired if you catch them soon enough and are willing to do a little work. When I first learned we repaired everything.

7. diesel_ram_man

diesel_ram_man Well-Known Member

What Kind of FP gauge is it? Mechanical or electrical?

8. billygoatyj

It's and electrical autometer.