which muffler?

Discussion in 'GM Gas Engine Rigs' started by zippy, Sep 17, 2006.

1. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    i want to get a performance muffler for my tahoe with the 5.3L and was curious if i should go with the magnaflow 5x11x22" muffler from the cat back kit or the flowmaster 50 series suv perf. i want good sound outside when accelerating and idleing but quiet inside for my wife and newborn coming next month?

2. draggbody

draggbody Well-Known Member

go w/ the MF... you wont regret it... it will make your truck sound like a truck, but wont irritate the wife...

3. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    thats what i was thinking since they are the same in price

4. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I would go for the flow master they work great on my wifes truck

5. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    i know flowmaster works awesome i have put one on everythiing i've ever owned but i didn't care about interior resonance at the time. my friends had a expedition with the magnaflow and you could just here the rumble from it inside but it screamed outside. flowmaster tends even with delta flow to do both.

6. 91v3500

91v3500 Member

I've always liked the sound of the Flowmasters. Any increase of exterior volumn/tone, will increase the noise level in the passanger compartment. If you are overly concerned about the amount of noise in the vehicle, try to find an exhaust shop that will let you "try on" different mufflers until you find the right fit for your ears inside & outside the vehicle. Another option is a Supertrapp muffler. It goes on the end of the tail pipe, and is tuneable. You can change the number of diffuser discs on the end to fine tune the exhaust note & amount of backpressure. Hope this helps.

7. 502_Jimmy

502_Jimmy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
  8. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    thanks john i looked and if i do buy a muffler i think it will be from and a MF that cost is awesome cheaper than ebay

9. bigbaddiesel

bigbaddiesel Well-Known Member

Media:
    lets try none at all:pimp:

10. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

Just to back up your decision, I'll add a little information. When I bought my 'burb (bored out 350, lotsa power goodies) it came with a flowmaster setup. It sounded alright at the time, but on long trips it was enough to drive the family batty.

Since I've swapped out my motor with the Olds 455, I've grown to love my flowmaster. The big block running through the exhaust sounds great outside, but it's whisper quiet inside. Before I did the swap, I'd have told you to pick anything but a flowmaster. Now, I'll tell ya to only do it if you've got a big block.

Something about the exhaust pulse on smallblock chevy's does not mix well with most any muffler, unless you want it loud.

11. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    yeah thats the thing i had a 40 series FM on my 90 burb 350 tbi and i sounded good and i didnt care how loud it was because it was old and supposed to be loud but now cause its the family car i want a little quieter i dont have to worry about my son because my wife and i actually lost him at 36 weeks ( last week ) but its not like we aren't going to have more kids so. i want to look into the future a little and plan ahead.

12. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

all in all its pretty much apples and oranges:stir: