Need some pics/shots please...

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.5' started by dubbyx, Sep 22, 2006.

1. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

Not directly diesel related so you guys will have to forgive me. I dropped my way too big Olds engine into my 'burb and have had problems with the motor mounts everyday since. Anyhow- talking to my Olds guru (remember, Olds supplied the diesels in the older GM trucks) he suggested I check out a set of older diesel motor mounts and see if they're closer than what I've got now.

SO... if anyone has or could get a good set of pictures of your motor mounts in a pre-87 body style I'd be indebted.

May also be interested in purchasing a set of older mounts if you've got spares.

Thanks-

Wade

2. Heavydutyharley

Heavydutyharley Well-Known Member

I take it you installed the 455 in the Burb. I had a 455 in a 1948 Chevy truck a few years back. I used the gas mounts but the diesel mounts are still available. I just checked with a local store (Autozone) here and they have the parts in house @ 6.99 each. The same part number is used for both sides. They should be available just about anywhere. Sorry, I do not have a photo. i hope this helps.

3. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

Kinda, sorta. The problem with this particular application is that the 4x4 engine frame mounts don't line up with the 2wd versions. A "normal" Chevy to Olds swap, without modifying the pads, would use the original 455 top mounts mixed with a set of Olds 350 lower mounts (they have a 2" offset). This locates the lower hole of each set to index the motor in the frame. Simply drilling into the perch at the two upper holes allows you to more or less do a "bolt in" swap.

Anyhow, the 4wd version's perch is 2" further forward in the frame. Instead of just needing the 350 Olds lowers, you have to compensate for a 4" total offset to get the engine back to the firewall.

I'm hoping that someone has the diesel mounts from a 4x4 truck, burb, or k5 as they "should" account for that 4" offset without modification.

4. Spindrift

Spindrift Member