medium duty international problems

Discussion in 'Big Rigs' started by fccparts, Oct 11, 2006.

1. fccparts

fccparts Member

have a friend that has a international medium duty truck with the 7.3 444 175 hp diesel we have been wanting a little more power out of it so we called jody tipton and had him burn a chip. worked good for a week or so then it just wouldn't run. we found out pcm was bad so we put a 165hp pcm and has dp tuner reflash the chip. problem is now the truck gets hot. the coolant temperatures will rise within 10 miles at normal operation with or without the chip on. it also blows black smoke(it blew none with the 175 pcm) a little without the chip and alot with the chip. is there some difference between the two pcm's that will make these things get hot. or do u think i should look elsewhere for my problems. I took it to the dealer and they said it might need a pcm or it might need injectors. please any help would be greatly appreciated

2. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

What year is the truck?

3. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

with it running hot and blowing smoke it could be the injectors might want to get a injector test light and give them a go also was the fuel turned up before the chip?and if so how long ago?